Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The proof will be in the pudding when one of the Latin America prospects reaches our top 10 list.  But the article was a good read.  

Excluding players we received in trades (Pinto, Deson etc.) I’m betting on Basallo as the first to reach our top 10.   Could happen as soon as the end of this season.  Tony’s already got him at 12, and several players above him on the list may graduate by then, so all Basallo really needs to do is hold serve.   

Am I the only one who thinks it's at least possible that Prieto starts in AA or AAA with a quick ticket to the majors if he's ok?

This isn't your standard draft and develop international guy because of his age and profile. What are they going to work on, launch angle? Maybe defense, which would make sense.

I honestly feel like he might have a chance to make the delayed opening day roster. Essentially an international young Maikol Franco cheap type of signing.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good summary, though. We've come a long way since Alex Wells being the only ranked international prospect. 

We’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go IMO.    I want to see our signings go from competitive to top-shelf, and I want to see players we signed a few years back excelling in the upper minors and eventually becoming major league contributors.   That latter part can’t happen overnight, needless to say.    But it’s one thing to have a guy like Sammy Basallo or Maikol Hernandez ranked in our top 15 based on tools and how they looked in the DSL, and it’s another thing to have a guy who’s made it up to Bowie and is looking like a potential significant contributor based on performance plus tools.   We may still be 2-3 years away from knowing if we’ve gotten to that point.   

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's at least possible that Prieto starts in AA or AAA with a quick ticket to the majors if he's ok?

This isn't your standard draft and develop international guy because of his age and profile. What are they going to work on, launch angle? Maybe defense, which would make sense.

I honestly feel like he might have a chance to make the delayed opening day roster. Essentially an international young Maikol Franco cheap type of signing.

Yeah, I'm confused as to why his cost is so low and why nobody's apparently out-bidding the O's - considering that his stats are so impressive and that he broke a rookie hitting record of Kendrys Morales, had a 40 game hit streak, and has an absurdly low SO rate.  Is it mainly because of his size?   

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I'm confused as to why his cost is so low and why nobody's apparently out-bidding the O's - considering that his stats are so impressive and that he broke a rookie hitting record of Kendrys Morales, had a 40 game hit streak, and has an absurdly low SO rate.  Is it mainly because of his size?   

Maybe a major league expectation helped sway his decision?

Total speculation. Just doesn't profile as a guy who starts in A ball for me.

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It's finally paying dividends.

AP99032701560.jpg

5 minutes ago, connja said:

IT will be interesting to see if the lockout goes on whether there will be any pressure on the minor league players to stay away from spring training, or risk appearing to their MLB brethren as scabs.

I don't recall that ever being an issue in the past.

I think the owners could turn that on the players in the court of public opinion pretty quickly.

34 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

His stats are impressive but not quite as impressive when you see the stats of the other players in that league. I think he'll be good but I bet his strikeouts go from 4% to about 15%.  Frobby explained why he's getting 650k instead of 2M.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go IMO.    I want to see our signings go from competitive to top-shelf, and I want to see players we signed a few years back excelling in the upper minors and eventually becoming major league contributors.   That latter part can’t happen overnight, needless to say.    But it’s one thing to have a guy like Sammy Basallo or Maikol Hernandez ranked in our top 15 based on tools and how they looked in the DSL, and it’s another thing to have a guy who’s made it up to Bowie and is looking like a potential significant contributor based on performance plus tools.   We may still be 2-3 years away from knowing if we’ve gotten to that point.   

This is a great point. Even Elias will admit there's still a ways to go with the international pipeline, but it seems to be going in the right direction. Another milestone will be a top 10 prospect international signee that's reached at least Double-A.

The first set of DSL players (mostly low level signees) that made it to the FCL mostly fell on their faces, particularly the pitching outside of Rangel. 

Now its worth noting that many of these players were the guys that the Orioles signed when they Elias and Perez first took over and the Orioles were two years behind in building those relationships that get the top players.

This will be the first class where the Orioles should have been on equal footing so it will be interesting to see the haul.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, connja said:

IT will be interesting to see if the lockout goes on whether there will be any pressure on the minor league players to stay away from spring training, or risk appearing to their MLB brethren as scabs.

Since the minor leaguers are not members of a union, they have no strike funds to replace their incomes like the MLBPA members do.  And as Corn said, this has never been an issue in the past - as long as the owners don't try to field replacement rosters.