Elias Q&A with Meoli

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

It sucks that the O's have to "be like Tampa."  We can adopt some of their strategies for developing talent, but we also shouldn't be crying poor like them.  

I think the point is that the O's can't compete with the Yankees, Red Sox or even Toronto on a revenue =payroll basis.    So the O's have to develop players, keep them while they are cheap like Tampa and trade them for young players before they hit free agency.  The O's payroll does not have to be as low as Tampa.  They can add players on short term contracts to supplement a young core.  But the Tampa model has shown to be successful and it fits where the O's need to go.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol

It takes a special level of being naive to think this is what needs to happen to win.

I am not the one saying that they should build this team one particular way and if they don't do it that way then they are morons.   I am aware there are multiple ways to build a team.  Elias has been clear what path he has chosen since 2018, and he has been consistent.  I just think that complaining about it week after week, month after month, for a year or more is not likely to accomplish very much.   I don't see him being fired for example or changing his mind.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the point is that the O's can't compete with the Yankees, Red Sox or even Toronto on a revenue =payroll basis.    So the O's have to develop players, keep them while they are cheap like Tampa and trade them for young players before they hit free agency.  The O's payroll does not have to be as low as Tampa.  They can add players on short term contracts to supplement a young core.  But the Tampa model has shown to be successful and it fits where the O's need to go.

I think the Orioles could be like Detroit, or even the White Sox/Cubs.  They don't just have to add players on cheap, short term contracts.  Sure, they cannot and should not be reckless with their spending (see Panda and Han Ram contracts), but they can give out a big contract every few years if that is what is needed to lure a good player here. 

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Right.  And it is a fine model to follow, but the Orioles should not, and cannot, avoid handing out smart free agent contracts and trading for players.  You can't JUST follow the "Tampa Model."

Didn't Tampa sign Nelson Cruz? I don't think their model precludes smart FA contracts or team friendly extensions. Remember when we used to have the Oriole Way? I don't recall how our payroll compared back then but it was about developing players. Would it be more politically acceptable to the fan base if we had our own name for it? What we can all agree on is we shouldn't hand out dumb FA contracts, which most are when you get into 10 year/$200M+ territory.

The Rays had about $25 mm invested in free agent players last year, so it’s not like they don’t sign free agents.  They just don’t go for the megadeals.   The O’s don’t need to be as frugal as Tampa and can play in the bigger market, but they do need to invest wisely and not always hold on to their assets too long.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Didn't Tampa sign Nelson Cruz? I don't think their model precludes smart FA contracts or team friendly extensions. Remember when we used to have the Oriole Way? I don't recall how our payroll compared back then but it was about developing players. Would it be more politically acceptable to the fan base if we had our own name for it? What we can all agree on is we shouldn't hand out dumb FA contracts, which most are when you get into 10 year/$200M+ territory.

Tampa traded for Cruz at the deadline.

Signing free agents and making shrewd, offseason moves are not mutually exclusive.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No, Tampa trades for Cruz, when his salary was a lot less than the beginning of the year.

14 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I am not the one saying that they should build this team one particular way and if they don't do it that way then they are morons.   I am aware there are multiple ways to build a team.  Elias has been clear what path he has chosen since 2018, and he has been consistent.  I just think that complaining about it week after week, month after month, for a year or more is not likely to accomplish very much.   I don't see him being fired for example or changing his mind.

I can now sleep better knowing what you think.  

t I think we have joined the ranks of having a healthily-run franchise that will have the operational capability that we see from similar teams in Tampa, in Cleveland, and I can name a few more

Ok really, Tampa? Well I guess its no surprise seeing whats transpired the past 4 years. Answers like this make me wonder if they shouldnt just move to Nashville. In some ways they've already waved the white flag. 

We are still at the start of year 3 IMO.  Yes the calander  says 4th year but one of those years doesn’t count for a team like us.  Yes there was a shortened season that year that had a championship but beside some pick up games for a few younger guys the rest of the minor leaguers got no competitive game action.  We didn’t get a full draft in 20 where we could stockpile more guys, we couldn’t scout international guy like we hoped, and we couldn’t scout other teams lower minors to see guys we might think would fit in our organization.   

29 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Ok really, Tampa? Well I guess its no surprise seeing whats transpired the past 4 years. Answers like this make me wonder if they shouldnt just move to Nashville. In some ways they've already waved the white flag. 

If MLB promised us a franchise within 3 years and it was either the Angelos family stays here and keeps the team or moves the franchise, I would gladly take no baseball for a few years.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Rays had about $25 mm invested in free agent players last year, so it’s not like they don’t sign free agents.  They just don’t go for the megadeals.   The O’s don’t need to be as frugal as Tampa and can play in the bigger market, but they do need to invest wisely and not always hold on to their assets too long.   

Great point. Tampa is reported to have offered Wander Franco a contract that exceeds Ronald Acuña's. They just are super efficient with their money and avoid big risk.

53 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The big question is will we be able to afford to "keep our own:

Or with the college bats and measured timelines, is there even a free agent year of a current Oriole we really need to worry about procuring for the club?

And I write that as someone who posted in Rants about Realmuto's insulting to Mauer 5-year/$115.5 deal, and wants to buy an Adley FA year at >23.1 just on general principle.

I feel like Mullins guaranteeing his first several millions in the game via a signing bonus is something that could happen before next Opening Day.