Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well, he shouldn’t play second on this team.

In 2019, he had 30 homers and 93 RBIs.  He also had a slash line of 205/283/439.  

Yea, I’m good with not having him hit 30 Homers if that’s going to be his slash line.

Oh, I'm not saying he's going to be great.  Or good.  Or even be the roster.

I'm biased because I do watch the Rangers regularly, as I've had point to mention recently, but this give this guy 600 abs in Camden Yards at that's 30 HRs.

Now the rest of his game might be garbage- though the rumors of him being "awful" defensively are stretched.  But 30 Hrs, at 27 years old, in the infield where we have little talent, is worth a dice roll if it costs nothing.

• Upvote 1

His BA has been no higher than 205 in 4 of the last 5 years and his OBP has been sub 300 in 5 of the last 6 years.

Yes, he will hit some homers.  Yes, he does have some pop.  Jon Shepherd, on Twitter, is pointing out that he has a good barrel%.  

That’s great..but the guy is an out machine.  He just isn’t a good player.

Alright, whatever.  I mean, I like Odor as I've mentioned previously because he popped Bautista in the jaw.  One of the great things about being a sports fan is that your likes/dislikes can be as irrational as you want them to be and no one can say **** to you because they know they have irrational preferences, too.

Outside of popping Bautista in the jaw and outside of hitting 25-30 homers a year, he's just not a good player.  Weak OBP, weak batting average, average defender at best.  I'd rather have had a one year reunion with Iglesias at SS.

I really and truly hate being a fan of this team sometimes and today is one of those days.  Like, why even bother with this signing?  What the **** is the upside here?  How's it make this team better?

If it hasn't been said already (I've not read the entire thread yet, nor do I want to) I'm sure the token "analytics" comment has been made where someone thinks that the Orioles, somehow, are going to coax an amazing performance out of a castoff like this.  I already saw someone with the token "trade at the deadline" comment, as if someone wants to trade anything of value for a guy who'd probably head into ST not on a team and could be signed by anyone.

When I said I'm already over the offseason, it was with a signing like this in mind.  Now we need to sign a few Harvey types and we'll be ready to go for Opening Day.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His BA has been no higher than 205 in 4 of the last 5 years and his OBP has been sub 300 in 5 of the last 6 years.

Yes, he will hit some homers.  Yes, he does have some pop.  Jon Shepherd, on Twitter, is pointing out that he has a good barrel%.  

That’s great..but the guy is an out machine.  He just isn’t a good player.

If he had more than one plus tool he wouldn't be a minimum signing.

Now I know you want to spend more money, but as an individual move, there's nothing to complain about here.  Unless you're unhappy we exposed Ritchie Martin to waivers.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Now I know you want to spend more money, but as an individual move, there's nothing to complain about here.  Unless you're unhappy we exposed Ritchie Martin to waivers.

It’s a dumb decision.  He doesn’t help us.  He doesn’t improve us.  He hit 30 homers in 2019 and his WAR was .3.  He’s basically Tony Batista.  That’s not a helpful player.

On top of that, he’s getting a ML deal and a spot on the 40 man.  I know they could pull a Yolmer Sanchez and just cut him. I get that.  But that’s not the point.  It’s the actual decision making process of signing a terrible player when you already have better players at the positions he plays and, on top of all of that, you aren’t trying to get better.  You are, at best, going sideways if he is the new third baseman and worse if you play him over Urias.  

There aren’t any positives to this.  I don’t care about the money.  It’s meaningless on a team with a sub 40M payroll.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, whatever.  I mean, I like Odor as I've mentioned previously because he popped Bautista in the jaw.  One of the great things about being a sports fan is that your likes/dislikes can be as irrational as you want them to be and no one can say **** to you because they know they have irrational preferences, too.

Outside of popping Bautista in the jaw and outside of hitting 25-30 homers a year, he's just not a good player.  Weak OBP, weak batting average, average defender at best.  I'd rather have had a one year reunion with Iglesias at SS.

I really and truly hate being a fan of this team sometimes and today is one of those days.  Like, why even bother with this signing?  What the **** is the upside here?  How's it make this team better?

If it hasn't been said already (I've not read the entire thread yet, nor do I want to) I'm sure the token "analytics" comment has been made where someone thinks that the Orioles, somehow, are going to coax an amazing performance out of a castoff like this.  I already saw someone with the token "trade at the deadline" comment, as if someone wants to trade anything of value for a guy who'd probably head into ST not on a team and could be signed by anyone.

When I said I'm already over the offseason, it was with a signing like this in mind.  Now we need to sign a few Harvey types and we'll be ready to go for Opening Day.

Wait for it…maybe we can flip him at the deadline!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a dumb decision.  He doesn’t help us.  He doesn’t improve us.  He hit 30 homers in 2019 and his WAR was .3.  He’s basically Tony Batista.  That’s not a helpful player.

On top of that, he’s getting a ML deal and a spot on the 40 man.  I know they could pull a Yolmer Sanchez and just cut him. I get that.  But that’s not the point.  It’s the actual decision making process of signing a terrible player when you already have better players at the positions he plays and, on top of all of that, you aren’t trying to get better.  You are, at best, going sideways if he is the new third baseman and worse if you play him over Urias.  

There aren’t any positives to this.  I don’t care about the money.  It’s meaningless on a team with a sub 40M payroll.

Franco says hello.  Urias says hello.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

For me, it's not necessarily about spending more money, it's about spending the right money wisely.  Though, I'm assuming in this case, spending more money would be nice.

IMO, this move doesn't really move the needle for this franchise moving forward.  And I get it, not every deal can help an organization transform and improve, I don't deny that.  But this move is just a head scratcher at best.  Odds are Odor is not on this team after the 2022 season...hell, he might not be on this team by the All-Star Break.

I just don't get it.  I don't see the vision.  Even if you wanted to go the one-year, placeholder route, there were better options out there IMO.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

For me, it's not necessarily about spending more money, it's about spending the right money wisely.  Though, I'm assuming in this case, spending more money would be nice.

IMO, this move doesn't really move the needle for this franchise moving forward.  And I get it, not every deal can help an organization transform and improve, I don't deny that.  But this move is just a head scratcher at best.  Odds are Odor is not on this team after the 2022 season...hell, he might not be on this team by the All-Star Break.

I just don't get it.  I don't see the vision.  Even if you wanted to go the one-year, placeholder route, there were better options out there IMO.  

This isn't a placeholder imo.  He isn't guaranteed to be on the team at the All-Star break, because he isn't guaranteed to be on the team in March.

This is literally a bottom of the barrel signing and he replaced a guy on our 40 that he is better than and has way more upside than.