Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Except those guys aren’t on the team anymore and didn’t end the year with the team…so he doesn’t make the team better that will be on the field in 2022.

BTw, it’s far from definite that he would be an improvement over those guys.

Odor had an OPS+ of 82 last season. Below is a list of other Orioles infielders in comparison. Odor is better than the worst of the worst O's infielders, but he's still not hitting at an acceptable level for an everyday player. 

And this doesn't strike of a move by a team that isn't trying for last place again. Also  if Odor is going to play 3B, then I'd rather play Gutierrez if their offensive production is going to be equal. 

Player     OPS+
Valaika      47
Galvis       94
Franco      63
Urias         111
Gutierrez  82
Mateo      102
Martin      52
Ruiz          49

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Except those guys aren’t on the team anymore and didn’t end the year with the team…so he doesn’t make the team better that will be on the field in 2022.

BTw, it’s far from definite that he would be an improvement over those guys.

Well, we are basically arguing whether Odor is better than replacement or not.  Though to be fair to my point, he doesn't need to be as he is clearly replacing below replacement allotment on the O's.

I don't know if Odor will be better than replacement or not.  He can be awful.  Way worse than replacement.

But he has higher upside than the guys he replaced.  In a vacuum that can only be good.

1 minute ago, Matt Bennett said:

Don’t know why anyone is up in arms. Major league minimum. They definitely needed a warm body or 2 for the infield. Not going to go into the year with Urias, Mateo, and Gutierrez as your starters. You need more than 3 major leaguers for the 2,000 at bats that will go to the Orioles 2B, 3B, and SS. If all 3 of them are major leaguers to begin with. Those claiming Odor is blocking somebody is laughable. Did these people watch Richie Martin and Jahmai Jones last year? Good grief. 

Odor can jack a few homers. Homers are fun. 

Exactly. I get it is not a good signing but I have yet to see a solid argument against. Worst case we are out $500k. Of course we would all like to see more but signing Odor does not preclude that.

14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, we are basically arguing whether Odor is better than replacement or not.  Though to be fair to my point, he doesn't need to be as he is clearly replacing below replacement allotment on the O's.

I don't know if Odor will be better than replacement or not.  He can be awful.  Way worse than replacement.

But he has higher upside than the guys he replaced.  In a vacuum that can only be good.

But he’s not replacing those guys.  I don’t know why you keep mentioning that.  He’s replacing Urias, Gutierrez or Mateo.

16 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Don’t know why anyone is up in arms. Major league minimum. They definitely needed a warm body or 2 for the infield. Not going to go into the year with Urias, Mateo, and Gutierrez as your starters. You need more than 3 major leaguers for the 2,000 at bats that will go to the Orioles 2B, 3B, and SS. If all 3 of them are major leaguers to begin with. Those claiming Odor is blocking somebody is laughable. Did these people watch Richie Martin and Jahmai Jones last year? Good grief. 

Is making outs also fun, because he is one of the best in the league at that.

16 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

For me it's not the player or money but the message. Another punt year is the message. Now something huge can still happen but I've seen this show before.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Odor is about 100 days older that Urias, 1 year and 100 days older than Mateo, and about 200 days older than Guiterrez. How do all of those players have “upside” but yet Odor is “done”?  The Yankees just traded for Odor last deadline. Overall, I think this is a smart move, and I compare him to Schoop when Minnesota picked him up for that one year. Same age as Schoop was too. 

I don't really get this deal, and it's a bit of a head scratcher.  But here are the only redeeming thoughts I can have.

1) He's very cheap, league minimum, so cutting him if he isn't producing shouldn't be an issue.  2) Maybe there is a VERY slim chance he comes out of spring on fire, plays great for the first few months, and we flip him for a lottery ticket or two.  Highly doubtful, but very little being risked either.  3) Depending on where he plays, especially 3rd, he isn't really blocking anyone that is close to MLB ready, so he isn't taking at bats away from anyone we REALLY need to evaluate.  Yeah, I'd rather see Gutierrez myself as there is a slim chance he could be a nugget, but he's not exactly much of a prospect himself.  4) Other than Mancini, we have no real 'vets' on the team.  Everyone else is in the early stages of their MLB careers.  I personally think 'vet presence' is overrated, but some think it matter and can help young players.  Odor isn't very good, but he has been around the block quite a bit.

Again, not a move I really support, but for the money involved I guess I can see some logic behind it.  I wouldn't have done it, but it's not a big deal I don't guess.  Part of me doubts he makes the opening day roster, but who knows.  

1 minute ago, Nite said:

For me it's not the player or money but the message. Another punt year is the message. Now something huge can still happen but I've seen this show before.

Yea, it’s all of it.

1) He’s terrible

2). What’s the hurry?  Again, you can sign replacement level IFers whenever you want.  You found Urias in Mexico.  Probably could go down there and find a better player than Odor.

3) Why give him a ML deal and a 40 man roster spot?

4) Why arent they striving to get better players?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Odor is about 100 days older that Urias, 1 year and 100 days older than Mateo, and about 200 days older than Guiterrez. How do all of those players have “upside” but yet Odor is “done”?  The Yankees just traded for Odor last deadline. Overall, I think this is a smart move, and I compare him to Schoop when Minnesota picked him up for that one year. Same age as Schoop was too. 

How?  Perhaps you should look at his stats and that answers your question.  His age is meaningless if he sucks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nite said:

True, but most of us knew that was the message long before this signing.  We may not agree with it, but we knew this year wasn't going to be spent adding strong FAs to this team.  

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly. I get it is not a good signing but I have yet to see a solid argument against. Worst case we are out $500k. Of course we would all like to see more but signing Odor does not preclude that.

Gutierrez has much better D, and has the same WRC 82, Mateo and Urias have better Offense,  and Urias is a far better overall player. Odor can’t be a utility guy and he doesn’t hit better than anyone he would be supplanting.

Its not an expensive mistake but it is a useless counterproductive move that takes a spot better used by someone better.

Remember rule 1: don’t get someone unless they are better than what you already have, and he isn’t, by any stretch of the imagination.