MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was surprising to me how many folks were in favor of the MSA being allowed to raise its debt cap to over a billion to fund stadium renovations.

I’m a little unclear on how the debt relates to taxpayer dollars.  The debt is funded by bonds purchased voluntarily by investors.   Then it gets repaid from MSA revenue coming from their share of ticket sales, etc.   Isn’t that how it works?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was surprising to me how many folks were in favor of the MSA being allowed to raise its debt cap to over a billion to fund stadium renovations.

Not all that surprising, really.  When a beloved team exits a market, the fan base - thru voting, etc. - is likely to settle for getting affirmation/confirmation of a team staying by giving into (somewhat) unreasonable demands.  It's akin to the abused child syndrome... always trying to do more to make the parent happy.  So fans give in, in efforts to keep their teams.

What I'm most upset in this whole thing is the competitive balance issue.  I would much rather see teams from all over the league playing more rather than a full half season or more of games strictly from the Eastern Division teams.  I know the logistics of travel must be horrendous, but it seems the towel has been thrown in on that issue. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m a little unclear on how the debt relates to taxpayer dollars.  The debt is funded by bonds purchased voluntarily by investors.   Then it gets repaid from MSA revenue coming from their share of ticket sales, etc.   Isn’t that how it works?

It is my understanding that it's going to be repaid via proceeds from the State lottery. 

You ain't paying back 1.2B with interest off of ticket sales.

Melewski's blog this morning highlighted this MLB.com piece with a lot of detail on International Draft concepts.

https://www.mlb.com/news/international-draft-cba-negotiations

An interesting bit in it was:

• In an effort to grow the game, clubs would receive supplemental selections for drafting and signing players from non-traditional international baseball countries.

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Unless a deal is struck today (they are meeting again), I would think we get an announcement of more cancelled games.  Likely pushing it towards the 15th of April or thereabouts.

I wonder if there’s any urgency to play on Jackie Robinson day, since MLB likes to pretend they care about that. 

I'll post it here, as it happening depends on an agreement soon, but I noticed the "minor league" schedule Roch had in his blog this morning now lists games vs. "Orioles" the weekend of April 2-3.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/more-clarity-coming-to-orioles-camp-plans.html

I hope Grayson pitches for Norfolk on Tuesday 4/5 but even without him those might be competitive games.   If the minor league crew got to do the Futures Game type stuff that weekend, it might be like

C - Bemboom v. Rutschman

1B - Mountcastle v. Mayo

2B - Odor v. Norby

SS - Mateo v. Westburg

3B - Gutierrez v. Henderson

LF - Hays v. Vavra

CF - Mullins v. Cowser

RF - Santander v. Stowers

DH - Mancini v. Kjerstad

P - Means/Lyles v. Hall/Bradish

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I'll post it here, as it happening depends on an agreement soon, but I noticed the "minor league" schedule Roch had in his blog this morning now lists games vs. "Orioles" the weekend of April 2-3.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/more-clarity-coming-to-orioles-camp-plans.html

I hope Grayson pitches for Norfolk on Tuesday 4/5 but even without him those might be competitive games.   If the minor league crew got to do the Futures Game type stuff that weekend, it might be like

C - Bemboom v. Rutschman

1B - Mountcastle v. Mayo

2B - Odor v. Norby

SS - Mateo v. Westburg

3B - Gutierrez v. Henderson

LF - Hays v. Vavra

CF - Mullins v. Cowser

RF - Santander v. Stowers

DH - Mancini v. Kjerstad

P - Means/Lyles v. Hall/Bradish

I got $20 on the Futures.