So, what are we going to talk about now?

Frobby

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Esports.

I can see it now baseball owners completely botch this lockout and Esports surpasses baseball. This might happen regardless and the mere thought of it depresses me. 

3UrmuKyTpK8TavGvEajuGP.jpg

I can see this and I can not see this happening.

First of all, baseball has slipped behind the NFL and the NBA, no doubt about it.  If anything, depending on how bad this lockout is, it could let hockey surpass it, which would be terrible because hockey is terrible.  

E-sports...I dunno.  I hate watching people play video games.  Even if it were video games I could relate to like 8 bit NES, I'd still have a hard time watching.  I don't know what these kids are playing, but judging by the characters in the background I've got no interest in finding out.

I think E-Sports winds up like NASCAR....which has an incredibly massive following but still resides on the fringes of the mainstream.  Where E-Sports fails, IMO, is that there's no frame of reference to these games for a widespread part of the population.  Part of growing up in the USA, IMO, is being exposed to the NFL...it's so ubiquitous.  I can't say the same for whatever video game these kids are playing.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

MLB and MLB Players are apparently resorting to tactics you might find amongst high schoolers.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32771388/what-do-shadows-locked-players-play-mlb-scrubbed-pages

I get why MLB did it.  I don't think it's being petty in this instance.  It's about the player's rights to their likenesses.

MLB.com also has no active players on their front page.  Actually some good reading if you care about the old stuff.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see this and I can not see this happening.

First of all, baseball has slipped behind the NFL and the NBA, no doubt about it.  If anything, depending on how bad this lockout is, it could let hockey surpass it, which would be terrible because hockey is terrible.  

E-sports...I dunno.  I hate watching people play video games.  Even if it were video games I could relate to like 8 bit NES, I'd still have a hard time watching.  I don't know what these kids are playing, but judging by the characters in the background I've got no interest in finding out.

I think E-Sports winds up like NASCAR....which has an incredibly massive following but still resides on the fringes of the mainstream.  Where E-Sports fails, IMO, is that there's no frame of reference to these games for a widespread part of the population.  Part of growing up in the USA, IMO, is being exposed to the NFL...it's so ubiquitous.  I can't say the same for whatever video game these kids are playing.

I agree and ultimately think E-Sports ends up being a niche "sport" with a rabid fan base like NASCAR. The threat to MLB is E-Sports could end up being more  popular than MLB just being a niche sport. 

Younger people are more likely to gravitate to E-Sports while MLB fans continue to get older and older. The nature of how baseball games are played is another impediment to the short attention span world we live in today. With so many other entertainment options that deliver instant gratification MLB as an uphill battle in saying relevant. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I get why MLB did it.  I don't think it's being petty in this instance.  It's about the player's rights to their likenesses.

MLB.com also has no active players on their front page.  Actually some good reading if you care about the old stuff.

I get it, too, but they're still dumb.  Does anyone ever go to MLB.com? 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree and ultimately think E-Sports ends up being a niche "sport" with a rabid fan base like NASCAR. The threat to MLB is E-Sports could end up being more  popular than MLB just being a niche sport. 

Younger people are more likely to gravitate to E-Sports while MLB fans continue to get older and older. The nature of how baseball games are played is another impediment to the short attention span world we live in today. With so many other entertainment options that deliver instant gratification MLB as an uphill battle in saying relevant. 

This is true, MLB can't figure out how to capture a younger audience.