Orioles sign catcher, pitcher

Legend_Of_Joey

8 hours ago, justD said:

Nottingham has signed a contract to play for the Licey Tigers (los Tigres del Licey) in the Dominican Winter League (LIDOM, Liga de Beisbol Profesional de la Republica Dominicana).  First game of the season is Saturday October 15, 2022.  According to this article, they've added him for his defensive capabilities, receiving pitches efficiently and with good numbers in terms of catching baserunners.

Huh, it's almost as if he should have gotten a 40 spot instead of Bemboom in that case...

Can't wait to follow the Winter Leagues. Always interesting to see who steps up.

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:10 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Huh, it's almost as if he should have gotten a 40 spot instead of Bemboom in that case...

Can't wait to follow the Winter Leagues. Always interesting to see who steps up.

Nottingham's receiving and blocking skills makes Severino look like Rutschman. He has a nice bat if he could catch effectively, but he should be a 1B at this point because he truly was terrible back there during the games I watched him catch AAA pitchers this year.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tony-OH said:

Nottingham's receiving and blocking skills makes Severino look like Rutschman. He has a nice bat if he could catch effectively, but he should be a 1B at this point because he truly was terrible back there during the games I watched him catch AAA pitchers this year.

His athleticism brings back memories of Sal Fasano. Yeah, his rep was a solid defender, maybe even above average. I wonder where the disconnect was. I know he was banged up a lot this season, but it wasn’t good. 

40 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

His athleticism brings back memories of Sal Fasano. Yeah, his rep was a solid defender, maybe even above average. I wonder where the disconnect was. I know he was banged up a lot this season, but it wasn’t good. 

I'm not sure I ever saw a catcher AAA drop more pitches that hit his mitt than Nottingham. BR is all messed up right now so I can't pull up his PBs, but his framing was pretty awful as well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure I ever saw a catcher AAA drop more pitches that hit his mitt than Nottingham. BR is all messed up right now so I can't pull up his PBs, but his framing was pretty awful as well.

9 passed balls in 56 starts.  Bemboom had 8 in 27 starts! 

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1