Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

12 hours ago, deward said:

I imagine other teams are generally smart enough to work out if Means is getting a boost from the park that he wouldn't get elsewhere.

It's not really an internet forum if you don't assume that we're all smarter than all 30 MLB GMs, and if they'd just listen to us they'd be pulling off Houston's side of the Glenn Davis deal like every week.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's not really an internet forum if you don't assume that we're all smarter than all 30 MLB GMs, and if they'd just listen to us they'd be pulling off Houston's side of the Glenn Davis deal like every week.

I was having a perfectly nice day, then you had to mention the trade for "he who shall not be named."  Damn!

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's not really an internet forum if you don't assume that the people in charge threw this together in about 15 minutes without any careful consideration or analysis, and that any dude sitting in his living room in his boxers with a bag of Doritos would have done better with an online CAD program and three beers.

The dude would probably have fallen asleep after the three beers and never submitted his proposal at all, which would have worked for me.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

New wall cost Trey a HR tonight in a 4-4 game... that the O's eventually lost 5-4.

You know, I'm coming around on it. Trey doubling and getting stranded at 2nd was a much more entertaining brand of baseball than him hitting a home run would have been. I've just been thinking about it all wrong, that's all.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I tend to blame the lack of clutch hitting more than the wall. O's had the bases loaded in 3 separate innings and got 1 hit.

Bases loaded, nobody out, and we get nothing. Owings up there hacking at pitches bouncing before home plate. 

Plus the god awful defense of Watkins. 

9 hours ago, Ripken said:

New wall cost Trey a HR tonight in a 4-4 game... that the O's eventually lost 5-4.

Probably worth starting a separate "wall tracker" thread to keep track of how many homers the wall has cost the O's offense versus how many it has saved the pitching staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Plus the Orioles only have right now 3 left handed hitters and one switch hitter I think it is one of the reasons Odor stays on the team for awhile. 

It doesn’t matter if you bat right handed or left handed if you don’t make contact and generally suck at the plate.  

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Yep go figure. But it should help more than it hurts I think. 

Wouldn't the impact on the field, at best, be neutral over an extended period? What would cause it to help the O's more than it helps other teams? Maybe a little better idea how to play the caroms, but I can't see that being a significant factor.

1 hour ago, deward said:

Wouldn't the impact on the field, at best, be neutral over an extended period? What would cause it to help the O's more than it helps other teams? Maybe a little better idea how to play the caroms, but I can't see that being a significant factor.

It might be neutral.  I mean, a lot of this all depends on the quality of our pitching, too.  Historically, it's our pitching that's getting abused instead of the other way around.  I don't expect that to change until the quality of our arms gets better.  Sure, we might not give up as many homers but that doesn't mean that there won't be more doubles and triples from the opposition.

In other words, I don't think moving the wall back is going to make our pitching markedly better.  It might make it slightly less bad.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It might be neutral.  I mean, a lot of this all depends on the quality of our pitching, too.  Historically, it's our pitching that's getting abused instead of the other way around.  I don't expect that to change until the quality of our arms gets better.  Sure, we might not give up as many homers but that doesn't mean that there won't be more doubles and triples from the opposition.

In other words, I don't think moving the wall back is going to make our pitching markedly better.  It might make it slightly less bad.

While probably weakening the offense somewhat.

• Upvote 1