Could Drew Rom reach the majors this year?

Frobby

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Greg Maddux was a pitcher who had a fastball in the 90's for much of his career that also had great control.

The idea that Maddux was some junk baller just isn't accurate.

According to Wiki:   Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. Though his fastball touched 93 mph in his early years, his velocity steadily declined throughout his career, and was never his principal focus as a pitcher. By the end of his career, his fastball averaged less than 86.less than 86 mph.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Greg Maddux was a pitcher who had a fastball in the 90's for much of his career that also had great control.

The idea that Maddux was some junk baller just isn't accurate.

A lot has to do with movement too.   Even once Maddux lost some velocity, he was able to tail pitches in a way that made them hard to barrel up.   Good command of a straight fastball may not be that effective, but good command of a fastball that moves can be a really good combo.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

According to Wiki:   Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. Though his fastball touched 93 mph in his early years, his velocity steadily declined throughout his career, and was never his principal focus as a pitcher. By the end of his career, his fastball averaged less than 86.less than 86 mph.

What exactly is your point?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What exactly is your point?

That he was known as a control pitcher and even when his fastball fell to 90 and below he was effective.   Very good control pitchers can be real good.    But the have to be real good to be successful.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That he was known as a control pitcher and even when his fastball fell to 90 and below he was effective.   Very good control pitchers can be real good.    But the have to be real good to be successful.

And you decided to tell me something I already knew why?

I never stated anything else.

I will say that this one bit you just said was telling.  Very good control pitchers can be real good.  Now I rate very good over real good.  Do you? 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you decided to tell me something I already knew why?

I never stated anything else.

I will say that this one bit you just said was telling.  Very good control pitchers can be real good.  Now I rate very good over real good.  Do you? 

I’d say I don’t know the difference.   

The problem with using Maddux as an example is he’s about a 100/100 on the command spectrum.  I’m not sure I can think of a pitcher with better command in my 55 years watching baseball.   Rom certainly has above average command for a MiL pitcher and perhaps he’ll be above average in the majors, but will he be at the top of the spectrum by major league standards?    I don’t think we could say that with any confidence.   

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I've asked before and I ask again because I've never seen him:

How much physical projection does he have left?

He's listed at 6'2" 170.  That's quite thin.  Does he have the frame to add good weight, and perhaps velocity?

He looked heavier than his list weight and although we've seen a bit of velocity bump for him since signing as an 18-year old, there's not a ton left in there.

I think he'll settle in as a 89-93 guy will top occasionally around 94.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Greg Maddux was a control pitcher and won 355 games and 4 Cy Young awards.   It can be done.  Its just how good at it the pitcher is.

Of course, and I loved watching him pitch, my point is that the finesse guys we have aren’t very good, or haven’t shown themselves to be very good yet, and therefore it is a bit concerning that Rom is described the same way.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you think Glavine was a power pitcher?

I have no idea but that’s irrelevant. The point, which I am happy to explain again for those who missed it the first time, is that the word “finesse” has also been used for Wells and Lowther, who haven’t done very well so far. So it is a little bit concerning that it is applied to Rom. 
I will also say again that I don’t know anything about Rom So maybe “Finesse” Isn’t cause for concern.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have no idea but that’s irrelevant. The point, which I am happy to explain again for those who missed it the first time, is that the word “finesse” has also been used for Wells and Lowther, who haven’t done very well so far. So it is a little bit concerning that it is applied to Rom. 
I will also say again that I don’t know anything about Rom So maybe “Finesse” Isn’t cause for concern.

Luckily a players career isn’t defined by like 20 innings.

47 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agee that Rom, A Wells and Lowther are all finesse or control pitchers.   A Wells had a pretty good period at AAA.  He  and Lowther are both still developing at the major league level.   Here is another control pitcher  many O's fan are familiar with - Scott McGregor.     

We don't know how any of the current prospects will turn out.   Not have a blazing fastball  makes it harder to be successful in the majors but far from impossible.   We just have to watch and see what happens.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agee that Rom, A Wells and Lowther are all finesse or control pitchers.   A Wells had a pretty good period at AAA.  He  and Lowther are both still developing at the major league level.   Here is another control pitcher  many O's fan are familiar with - Scott McGregor.     

We don't know how any of the current prospects will turn out.   Not have a blazing fastball  makes it harder to be successful in the majors but far from impossible.   We just have to watch and see what happens.

McGregor retired in 1988 with a career K/9 of 3.8.

If that is your get to prove your point you are in a pretty bad spot. 

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Luckily a players career isn’t defined by like 20 innings.

Oh don’t misunderstand me, I’m not suggesting that Wells and Lowther have no future, far from it. I never have, either. I’m actually very fond of both of them. It’s just that the word “finesse” is frequently used for guys who really don’t have much, and I don’t particularly like it as an adjective. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Oh don’t misunderstand me, I’m not suggesting that Wells and Lowther have no future, far from it. I never have, either. I’m actually very fond of both of them. It’s just that the word “finesse” is frequently used for guys who really don’t have much, and I don’t particularly like it as an adjective. 

I see all three pitchers a little differently. Rom isn’t a fireballer but he has more velocity than Lowther or Wells.    Lowther’s fastball plays up a little because of his extension.  Wells doesn’t play up but at least he can ride it up In the zone a good bit.   Tony’s write up on Rom explains why he thinks Rom is a better prospect than the other two.   https://orioleshangout.com/2021/11/07/11-drew-rom/

• Thanks 1