ESPN top 100 all time list

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

Is this some sort of Yankee hatred coming through...how can one compare mookie to babe? if there is anyone to even compare to today is would be Shohei...

Huh?

You think you could take 1923 Babe Ruth drop him onto the baseball field in 2022 and he'd do well?

You think he can turn on a 98 MPH fastball?  You think he can hit the type of breaking pitches they throw today?

As time goes on the level of play improves.

The game advances.

The quality of the players now is the highest it has ever been.

So if your definition of greatest player reflects that, I could see omitting everyone that played a century ago.

No one is suggesting that Old Hoss Radbourn is the greatest pitcher of all time.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that Jeter is ahead of so many players on this list, including Pujols, is unreal.  Certainly expected but still.

I refuse to get emotionally involved in this.  The list is just silly.  At least it appears that Frank Robinson will make the top 25.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I refuse to get emotionally involved in this.  The list is just silly.  At least it appears that Frank Robinson will make the top 25.    

It’s just irritating.  I know I’m expecting too much from a national sports organization to have an ounce of credibility though.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just irritating.  I know I’m expecting too much from a national sports organization to have an ounce of credibility though.

It seems to me that when the MLB Network was formed, ESPN just lost all interest in seriously covering baseball.   Just look at their mobile website.  The shortcut banner at the top takes you to NFL, NBA, NHL, Soccer, Golf and NCAA Football.   No MLB.   Then if you go to their drop down menu, they go through those six and then Boxing, CFL, Chalk (?), College Sports, Cricket, F1, and Little League World Series before you finally get to MLB.   Now, maybe they will reorganize things when the lockout ends and spring training starts, but isn’t that a little absurd?   It really shows the priority they give baseball these days.   

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33138638/top-100-mlb-players-all-nos-100-51

What an absolutely horrific job they did so far.

Ripken and Beltre are top 30 all time in WAR and you have David Ortiz and Winfield ahead of them?  Lol

• All of these lists have selections that appear to be designed to be controversial to draw eyeballs and clicks and comments. 
  • There have to be a million books, web pages, forum posts, etc. about the top 100 players of all time.  Joe Posnanski put out a book recently that's titled The Baseball 100 that's been on bestseller lists for a while.  My thought was "really, we needed another book ranking baseball players?"  If it's not controversial with picks that kind of don't make sense why would anyone read it?
  • This list was picked by votes from "dozens of writers and editors" from ESPN.  For all we know they polled Chris Berman and the blonde who interviews Texas Tech's coach as he running off the field at halftime.  Because they knew the results from people like that would be kind of wacky and get some more views.