BA ranks Os system 4th

Sports Guy

A lot of guys we're enthusiastic about still need to prove it over a real sample size. Think Mayo, Kjerstad, Ortiz, Baumler, Basallo, Hernandez, Norby and some of the recent international guys.

We're not losing a ton of guys from our list this year and they'll be replaced by at least 1 highly touted draftee. The depth of the system should look better in 12 months.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

A lot of guys we're enthusiastic about still need to prove it over a real sample size. Think Mayo, Kjerstad, Ortiz, Baumler, Basallo, Hernandez, Norby and some of the recent international guys.

We're not losing a ton of guys from our list this year and they'll be replaced by at least 1 highly touted draftee. The depth of the system should look better in 12 months.

They probably should graduate their top 2 prospects, who are top 10 in the league. Whether they actually will or not remains to be seen, but Grayson Rodriguez has made 18 starts at AA and has been spectacular. He doesn't need to go back to Bowie and shouldn't need to make 25 AAA starts either. Hall may well graduate as well this year, if he is healthy the entire season.

If they graduate two top 10 overall prospects it would be tricky to improve on farm system rankings. Maybe they could  hold serve if a couple from the Mayo/Kjerstad/Westburg/Baumler tier break into the top 100 along with the #1 overall pick, but losing two top 10 guys would be a big hit on any farm system's overall rankings.

58 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They probably should graduate their top 2 prospects, who are top 10 in the league. Whether they actually will or not remains to be seen, but Grayson Rodriguez has made 18 starts at AA and has been spectacular. He doesn't need to go back to Bowie and shouldn't need to make 25 AAA starts either. Hall may well graduate as well this year, if he is healthy the entire season.

If they graduate two top 10 overall prospects it would be tricky to improve on farm system rankings. Maybe they could  hold serve if a couple from the Mayo/Kjerstad/Westburg/Baumler tier break into the top 100 along with the #1 overall pick, but losing two top 10 guys would be a big hit on any farm system's overall rankings.

Not to speak for LookinUp, but he did specifically say the depth would look better.  I think that's probably true.  The system stands a good chance to be even deeper than it is now, even if the overall ranking goes down a bit due to losing some at the top.

• Thanks 1

So I see the Mariners are ranked no. 1.   Who are 2 and 3?

I just posted a couple of hours ago in the Bleacher Report thread that I wouldn’t be surprised if some other outlets had us outside the top 3.    And based on JJ Cooper’s comments yesterday to Melewski, BA must feel that the system still lacks elite depth, even though the top end is very strong.   Still work to do…

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So I see the Mariners are ranked no. 1.   Who are 2 and 3?

I just posted a couple of hours ago in the Bleacher Report thread that I wouldn’t be surprised if some other outlets had us outside the top 3.    And based on JJ Cooper’s comments yesterday to Melewski, BA must feel that the system still lacks elite depth, even though the top end is very strong.   Still work to do…

I'm sure another four or five years of top five draft picks should do it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kind of a predictable response from you.   But, I don’t think that is necessary.   What’s necessary is continuing to make good draft selections and to make good choices in the international market.   To me the main reason we still lack some depth is that our international pipeline is just getting online.   I think the O’s have addressed that well, but it still takes time for that part of the pipeline to move up the ladder.   2022 is really the first year we’ve been competing on a level playing field there, and the guys we just signed for the most part won’t reach Delmarva until 2024.  Maybe if we’re lucky Tavera or one/two others will move faster than that.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

My quick math says exactly 2 of our top 5-6 prospects was a top 5 draft pick.

Kjerstad and this year's will hopefully be in our top 5 at the end of this year, so that number would go up to 3, but the system is far from top heavy with top 5 guys and the guys we're hoping make a big step (aside from Kjerstad) are all either international guys or bottom first and later round guys.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

My quick math says exactly 2 of our top 5-6 prospects was a top 5 draft pick.

Kjerstad and this year's will hopefully be in our top 5 at the end of this year, so that number would go up to 3, but the system is far from top heavy with top 5 guys and the guys we're hoping make a big step (aside from Kjerstad) are all either international guys or bottom first and later round guys.

Two of them come from the prior regime. 

I am really interested to see if we have more top-100 guys next year compared to this year. I think it's possible even if they aren't as highly ranked as two in the top-10. We graduate Adley and G-Rod. That gives us Hall, Cowser, and Henderson as hold overs with Mayo, Kjerstad, and Westburg possibilities to break into the top-100 in many lists along with whoever we draft this year. Another strong season from Stowers would potentially put him in consideration, but he's likely to get enough ABs to cross the threshold from prospect to Major Leaguer in 2022 as well enough to elevate his stock on such lists. I am very excited about the future of this team...but still a bit nervous as so much hangs on Rodriguez and Hall to be good given the rest of the notable prospects are position players. 

Is Andy McPhail retired?  The O's could bring him back as special assistant to Elias in charge of trades.  I remember before last year's deadline, Elias noted that he had been spending most of his time preparing for the draft (which was understandable).  I think one of Elias' faults could that he is too hands on.  He doesn't seem to be one to delegate much power or responsibility (I could be wrong).  It could be that the O's don't have enough baseball executives, which is still probably better than the past when you had executives with no clear responsibilities who were outside any chain of command.

On 2/2/2022 at 12:59 PM, Sports Guy said:

I have zero issue with them not being 1 (I questioned that anyway) but why were they one before and not now?  Seems like things got getter, not worse.  Unless everyone else improved even more.

I had the same question. We did lose Mountcastle and Kjerstad has probably been downgraded.