Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we've seen that the stuff is there, but what we don't know is whether he can maintain that stuff to 80-100 pitches. Yesterday he struggled after about 30. 

Yea that’s my point.  I don’t think we can just assume that the stuff is there as a starter.  We can say he has good stuff as a reliever but we don’t know beyond that.

It’s easy to point to his MiL numbers but that was like 4 years ago, TJ surgery and shoulder issues ago.  We just don’t know yet if it will carry over for 80+ pitches.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s my point.  I don’t think we can just assume that the stuff is there as a starter.  We can say he has good stuff as a reliever but we don’t know beyond that.

It’s easy to point to his MiL numbers but that was like 4 years ago, TJ surgery and shoulder issues ago.  We just don’t know yet if it will carry over for 80+ pitches.

But that's what the Orioles should find out this year. This weird short spring training has made a lot of guys be in their dead arm stage of spring as the season starts. I'm going to assume that's part of what happened, but I think you run him out there for about a month and see how he looks.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But that's what the Orioles should find out this year. This weird short spring training has made a lot of guys be in their dead arm stage of spring as the season starts. I'm going to assume that's part of what happened, but I think you run him out there for about a month and see how he looks.

Yep.  I said as much.  My point is that some people on here are saying “the stuff is there”.  We don’t know that is true, at least as a starter.

Seems to be there is an assumption by some that he can maintain his stuff as a starter.  I don’t think you can assume this.

FWIW, despite the poor outcomes, The Athletic's Eno Sarris said in podcast yesterday the "Stuff+" of Wells' opening weekend was near MLB-best.    I don't know many of the nuances of that metric, but gather it tries to look at all of velocity, spin and break to weigh a pitch's data with one tidy number.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, Just Regular said:

FWIW, despite the poor outcomes, The Athletic's Eno Sarris said in podcast yesterday the "Stuff+" of Wells' opening weekend was near MLB-best.    I don't know many of the nuances of that metric, but gather it tries to look at all of velocity, spin and break to weigh a pitch's data with one tidy number.

Stuff+ does not like Means, fwiw.

IIRC Wells had 2 strikes on every batter that eventually hurt him. His waste pitches were absurd and predictable. Head high, stupid.  I don't believe in WASTE pitches, you have a guy down 0-2, 1-2  go after him. Benboom made lousy calls. Neuse's three hits were all on the same pitch, off speed, low, outside which he stroke to right field.  The O's were shifted to the left side. Was anyone awake anywhere?? Benboom?? Pitching coach?? Anybody?? LOUSY execution. The O's didn't adjust.  Nice piece of hitting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

IIRC Wells had 2 strikes on every batter that eventually hurt him. His waste pitches were absurd and predictable. Head high, stupid.  I don't believe in WASTE pitches, you have a guy down 0-2, 1-2  go after him. Benboom made lousy calls. Neuse's three hits were all on the same pitch, off speed, low, outside which he stroke to right field.  The O's were shifted to the left side. Was anyone awake anywhere?? Benboom?? Pitching coach?? Anybody?? LOUSY execution. The O's didn't adjust.  Nice piece of hitting. 

Good post. Def missing our starting catcher already. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Drop Ellis and Watkins before you move Wells back to the pen. I think he may go into a multi inning relief role later in the summer. 

If Wells can show that he can get through a lineup twice it doesn’t really matter to me if he’s doing it as a starter or reliever so long as he’s providing value somewhere. 

Overall I agree, Ellis and Watkins should be dropped before deciding if Wells goes back to the pen. Even though I’m more of a fan of him coming out of the pen, I’d rather see him get starts instead of the aforementioned. 

But if he’s good for 55-70 pitches each time out, does it matter if he’s coming from the pen or starting?  In other words, say he throws 100 innings this year to a 3.80 ERA.  Is the value of those innings weighed differently they’re from starting or relieving?  Or does 100 innings of 3.80 ERA have the same value no matter where it’s applied?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Bemboom was an absolutely horrendous game-caller yesterday. It was way too soon for the broadcasters to be singing his praises, and this is why. If you want to dump praise on Chirinos, fine, he's earned it by being in the league this long. But Bemboom? Come on. He receives nicely back there, but IMO he lost us the game with some of the calls. Not nearly unpredictable enough. 

That game sorta sealed it in terms of how I see him. When you combine it with the fact that he can't hit a lick... well, it just makes me all the more impatient for Adley. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bemboom was an absolutely horrendous game-caller yesterday. It was way too soon for the broadcasters to be singing his praises, and this is why. If you want to dump praise on Chirinos, fine, he's earned it by being in the league this long. But Bemboom? Come on. He receives nicely back there, but IMO he lost us the game with some of the calls. Not nearly unpredictable enough. 

That game sorta sealed it in terms of how I see him. When you combine it with the fact that he can't hit a lick... well, it just makes me all the more impatient for Adley. 

Nothing is more overblown by fans than “how a catcher calls a game” especially since most of the direction is coming from the dugout.