Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

Just now, Sports Guy said:

His value right now would be as part of a package for a higher end player, probably starting pitcher, with years of control.

So, if there is a pitcher like that out there and Wells is a desired target for that team, I think it becomes possible he is traded but that’s the only scenario I see.

Everyone is always available, but he is one guy  I’d need a lot for.  He seems to have the physical talent and the mental aptitude required to be a successful MLB pitcher.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His value right now would be as part of a package for a higher end player, probably starting pitcher, with years of control.

So, if there is a pitcher like that out there and Wells is a desired target for that team, I think it becomes possible he is traded but that’s the only scenario I see.

Young, club / cost controlled SPs are our glaring weakness. Not going anywhere. The scenario above only happens if we're gunning for the World Series and we have some capable baby birds in the wings. He's here for the long haul.

Edit: unless the rebuild bombs but I'm not willing to go negative Nellie so, my belief, he's here for the long haul. 

• Upvote 3

Racing towards whatever the finish line is.    He's emerged as an interesting test case how the Organization may manage 2023's talented pitchers with short platforms.

I figure the brakes being applied will be pretty popular around here.    Hope he continues helping make enough positive energy that only Grayson Rodriguez is a proper taker of his baton.

10 hours ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Young, club / cost controlled SPs are our glaring weakness. Not going anywhere. The scenario above only happens if we're gunning for the World Series and we have some capable baby birds in the wings. He's here for the long haul.

Edit: unless the rebuild bombs but I'm not willing to go negative Nellie so, my belief, he's here for the long haul. 

Well it depends on how the club views him and views whatever pitcher/position player they could get in a trade for him.  

I tend to agree they don’t trade him because I just don’t think the value is going to be there but if the stars align and something is there for him that they really want, I don’t think they hesitate.  

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it depends on how the club views him and views whatever pitcher/position player they could get in a trade for him.  

I tend to agree they don’t trade him because I just don’t think the value is going to be there but if the stars align and something is there for him that they really want, I don’t think they hesitate.  

Elias is not trading Tyler Wells for at least another 4 years.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:20 PM, Sports Guy said:

A ball in play is an out 70-73% of Time, on average. 

A strikeout is an out over 99% of the time.  

So while it’s not a necessity to get a lot of Ks, it’s very helpful and obviously a missed bat is a ball that isn’t put in play. 

It’s rare to see very good starters who can’t miss bats and get Ks in todays game.

I think if he (or anyone else) doesn’t do that, the upside becomes more limited.  Doesn’t mean they can’t be successful though.

How soon you've forgotten Mr. Severino! (Why John Means didn't get a perfect game.)

Whichever coach(es) closely oversaw and guided Wells' transformation into a SP, Lopez's into a back-end of the BP reliever, and Akin's into a middle reliever, as well as the maturing of Tate, Perez, and Bautista, and whatever short-term success we have with Kremer, Watkins, and Zimmerman must be beaming everyday and has earned the privilege to supervise Grayson, Hall, Bauman et al.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Really positive development with Wells.  If he can be a solid rotation piece that does wonders to help make the transition to a contending team.

Assuming health, a competing rotation of Grayson, Hall, Means, Wells, Kremer/FA sounds good to me.