Perez and Baker are going to be some of Elias' best waiver claims

interloper

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Dude, stay on target. I know, you are in a "Sh!t on the Orioles for everything" mood right now, but good Lord, read the title off the thread before commenting! 

Yea my bad.  

And no I’m not..I’m just not getting on my knees for everything they do.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Urias very well end up the best of them, but his latest pitching waiver claims have looked really good (Perez, Baker, Krehbiel). They all have really good arms.

These type of arms just weren't available on waivers the first couple years of the rebuild. Good to see we lucked into a few big arms, hopefully.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

These type of arms just weren't available on waivers the first couple years of the rebuild. Good to see we lucked into a few big arms, hopefully.

I think that was one of biggest problems I saw with lot of our guys the last few years.  You would see other teams bring guy after guy in to the game from the pen and they all through in mid to upper 90s. While we had guys that were in low 90s.  You can get away with a lot more if your in upper 90s because you still have to catch up with it.   Your in lows you better hit your sport or it going a long way.

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It has been about command for Perez just like it is with Scott. Now maybe this spring is a mirage (1 walk in 5.1 IP), while Scott has looked like Scott (4 walk in 2 IP), Perez has thrown strikes for the most part. Basically he's Tanner Scott. So the team has two of them now and hopes one of them will be good this year. 

I like the stuff and if he has figured out how to throw strikes more often he can be a real weapon!

I was just about to post 1 walk in 5.1 innings must be some kind of career best for him but you basically beat me to it.  😃

Perez has looked balanced and compact in his delivery this Spring, and I think that is the key for him. I hope he stays in sync. That stuff is excellent right now. Baker looks more athletic than I thought he was, and the stuff is nice. Hyde alluded to having “big arms” in the pen that he did not have in 2021. These have to be two of those he was speaking of.

The whole “Elias’ best waiver claim” thought, IDK. Maybe when all is said and done? Of those still in camp, Mateo, Urias, Gutierrez, Lopez, Sulser and Krehbiel are also Elias waiver claims. There may be one more coming here soon.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Perez has looked balanced and compact in his delivery this Spring, and I think that is the key for him. I hope he stays in sync. That stuff is excellent right now. Baker looks more athletic than I thought he was, and the stuff is nice. Hyde alluded to having “big arms” in the pen that he did not have in 2021. These have to be two of those he was speaking of.

The whole “Elias’ best waiver claim” thought, IDK. Maybe when all is said and done? Of those still in camp, Mateo, Urias, Gutierrez, Lopez, Sulser and Krehbiel are also Elias waiver claims. There may be one more coming here soon.

I said "some of" 🙂 He's definitely got a few quality claims already. Hanser was a good one as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I said "some of" 🙂 He's definitely got a few quality claims already. Hanser was a good one as well.

Yeah, I misread that the first time. I agree, then 😉. Severino, Rio Ruiz, Valaika, Lakins and Armstrong were other decent claims of the early Elias regime. The current group is definitely better than the previous one.

Mateo could be the best of the group, not necessarily a SS, but we’ll see. The defense may smooth out some. He is one of the most raw-talented physically gifted players to put on an Oriole uniform in some time. The mental side, daily approach and focus, is huge for him from what I have been able to gather. He can be up there in Cedric Mullins’ territory, or he could be waived  by season’s end.

Urias is a solid 2B, and to use to Buckism, “I think he is what he appears to be.” Solid contact skills and approach with average defense at 2B.

My appreciation for Gutierrez is nothing new. I am not making too much of his Spring stats, but I do like the improved swing decisions. Seeing him layoff the slider, in particular, has been encouraging. I still think the hands tend to be a little high, at load, but I think he’ll hit better than most thought and be the OD 3B. Another player with some physical gifts. Raw power is there.

Lopez, Perez and Baker should all be solid set up guys to start. And all May end up in the back end sooner than later. Krehbiel may not make the roster, he may be DFA’d. But that is not a knock on him as much as it is a good sign. I think Krehbiel is underrated. Sulser is Sulser. I would imagine his name, along with Fry and Scott, will be involved in trade talks. 

• Like 1