Orioles have competition in cheapest team race

seak05

For as much as there should be a salary floor, there should also be a salary cap. It’s annoying that everyone loves to hate on the clubs doing the tanking but never comment on why a club would tank in the first place. Not saying it’s right, but it’s become a necessity for a lot of teams. 

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I wonder if Oakland's situation is an effort to get a stadium deal? Basically a middle finger to the league.

The only tea leaf I see here is that there's less reason to spend money building a team when you're about to move that team.

I don't follow why eliminating payroll would be be an effort to get a stadium deal, or why the A's would want to give a middle finger to a MLB? Can you explain? Thanks. 

48 minutes ago, oriole said:

For as much as there should be a salary floor, there should also be a salary cap. It’s annoying that everyone loves to hate on the clubs doing the tanking but never comment on why a club would tank in the first place. Not saying it’s right, but it’s become a necessity for a lot of teams. 

This is the correct take.  Without a ceiling, having a floor makes no sense.  

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Disgusting. Professional sports should have a way to force a sale (see Dan Snyder), these cities and fan bases deserve better. 

The A’s have been to the playoffs in six of the last ten years, and were in the race until the final week last year.   I’d say the fans ought to be pretty damned happy with how their team is run.  Billy Beane doesn’t fool around.   When he doesn’t think he has a playoff-caliber team he sells and reloads.   It’s been very effective for him.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Didn't you see Moneyball?

There's rich teams. 

And there's poor teams. 

Then there's a hundred pounds of crap. 

Then the Athletics. 

So where did that put the Expos and the Rays that year?

Also the 2002 A's had a payroll of 40M which might be higher than some teams this year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The A’s have been to the playoffs in six of the last ten years, and were in the race until the final week last year.   I’d say the fans ought to be pretty damned happy with how their team is run.  Billy Beane doesn’t fool around.   When he doesn’t think he has a playoff-caliber team he sells and reloads.   It’s been very effective for him.  

To be clear: my disgusting is the lack of trying not the As or Rays, clearly both are doing it right. The Rays should have a movie about them, just amazing what they have accomplished with a city that barely wants them.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So where did that put the Expos and the Rays that year?

Also the 2002 A's had a payroll of 40M which might be higher than some teams this year.

It's just a fun line. Don't think it was meant to be dissected. I'd contact the writers. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It irks me.

While it's a fine film it does various things to irk me.

Mostly ignoring the team's four best players but also that bit about payroll.

Meh, it’s a movie, so I can accept a little hyperbole about how low the payroll was.  28th out of 30 is bad enough.   But I did find the virtual erasure of Tejada/Hudson/Mulder/Zito to be outrageous.