Elias expects hitting to be good and pitching to struggle

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehh, none of this matters.  All that matters is Elias knows more than you and we should just be good with everything he does.

No, we should call every sliver of a different opinion, "moronic," "stupid," and "idiotic."

That's how we show our intellectual superiority.  

Just now, Pickles said:

The "opinion" of having Hall throw 12 innings at AA?  Instead of going..... where was it again.... straight to AAA or MLB?

I don’t really care what they are doing w/r/t that.  I happen to think it makes no sense as well but it should be a short stint.  

I just tend to prefer them to use proper logic in their decision making, especially if they don’t even care about winning games up here.  

But yea, hopefully it won’t take long to get him to AAA and Baltimore. 

Just now, Pickles said:

I mean... you're talking about probably a handful of appearances at most.

He's going to pitch again for the first time in a year.  That's what he's going to "learn."

And he can learn that at Norfolk, while using the ML ball and facing more advanced competition.

It's not a big deal I just don't agree it's a benefit.  Particularly with pitching I think he's overly conservative and I've yet to see the advantages of his system on the field.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And he can learn that at Norfolk, while using the ML ball and facing more advanced competition.

It's not a big deal I just don't agree it's a benefit.  Particularly with pitching I think he's overly conservative and I've yet to see the advantages of his system on the field.

And he doesn’t have a track record of being that good at developing pitching either. It’s not like the Astros were the Rays or Indians and just kept churning out pitching left and right.

So, I think it’s fair to question some of his decisions until he shows he can develop pitching at some kind of a consistent rate (well, consistent by developing pitcher standards).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Bullpen looks improved so far.  Starting pitching will probably be a problem all season.

Hitting looks terrible right now, but the O's have faced 2 of the best pitching teams in baseball so far.  Looking forward to Adley and maybe Stowers being called up and Odor getting the boot. 

Yeah, I just feel that judging just about anything based on four games is a waste of time, either for a player or a team.  

56 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Bullpen looks improved so far.  Starting pitching will probably be a problem all season.

Hitting looks terrible right now, but the O's have faced 2 of the best pitching teams in baseball so far.  Looking forward to Adley and maybe Stowers being called up and Odor getting the boot. 

I expect the offense to improve as the season progresses because of the players you mentioned and other younger players as they gain more experience.

The pitching though is going to be quite the roller coaster ride. Might see some possible ups with Means, Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall, but mixed in with plenty of downs, especially when we get to summertime and the weather gets hot. 

On 4/10/2022 at 10:35 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I heard Sig on one of the local radio shows talking about how they went through some crazy amount of data and felt like they saw some patterns/trends to prevent injuries.  What types of trends those were he obviously did not say, and of course we have no idea if their reasoning is sound.  As frustrated as I have been with the slow-playing of prospects I do at least believe they have some reason for doing so, whether I would agree with that reason or not.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

I heard Sig on one of the local radio shows talking about how they went through some crazy amount of data and felt like they saw some patterns/trends to prevent injuries.  What types of trends those were he obviously did not say, and of course we have no idea if their reasoning is sound.  As frustrated as I have been with the slow-playing of prospects I do at least believe they have some reason for doing so, whether I would agree with that reason or not.

Lets see if it results in a lower injury rate.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lets see if it results in a lower injury rate.

Yep, that will be the ticket.

I will say that so far, arm injuries seem to be pretty rare the past few years.  Hall obviously being the main exception, but we haven't seen too many guys going under the knife lately from an arm standpoint.  Regardless of the reason why let's just hope that continues.  If Grayson and Hall both go down it's tough to envision success.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:22 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I do think it's stupid to start him at Bowie.

Why not give him innings with the ML ball and against a higher level of competition?

What's he going to learn in a return to AA?

The different ball is the biggest reason for me to see him start at AAA vs AA. Elias seems to want guys to get some success at lower levels and then move them. I just think when you have a lefty throwing near 100 with three plus breaking pitches that you probably want to look at him at AAA with the major league ball. But Elias has an aversion to pitching his prospects much or challenging them.