Elias expects hitting to be good and pitching to struggle

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I heard Sig on one of the local radio shows talking about how they went through some crazy amount of data and felt like they saw some patterns/trends to prevent injuries.  What types of trends those were he obviously did not say, and of course we have no idea if their reasoning is sound.  As frustrated as I have been with the slow-playing of prospects I do at least believe they have some reason for doing so, whether I would agree with that reason or not.

I 100% believe some computer program told Sig to limit young pitchers. When I watch how other teams use their pitchers pitcher count wise and after injuries, most seem to have different approaches. We'll have to see how it all works out but the Orioles really, really taking things to the extreme. We're seeing 50 or 60 pitch, pitch counts and 3-4 innings on starts so far. Meanwhile, most other minor league teams seem to have an 80-pitch limit on their starters already. 

It's frustrating to not see guys like Hall and Baumler pitch at some level. Personally I believe they get more out of pitching in games then in sim games or throwing sessions. But again, the Orioles are slaves to the computer programs when it comes to usage of players. They don't take any of the mental part of it into consideration. It's very sterile from what I can see and have heard. 

It's like they treat every player like the same robot and if the computer program says they pitch this many pitches or play this position, then that's what happens. The program says picking pitches are risky so they barely pick them in the top ten rounds. Meanwhile the Delmarva pitching staff is awful with guys that don't belong in even A ball. 

I guess we'll see whether this all works or not, but I know I'm starting to have concerns on how they are developing pitchers. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I 100% believe some computer program told Sig to limit young pitchers. When I watch how other teams use their pitchers pitcher count wise and after injuries, most seem to have different approaches. We'll have to see how it all works out but the Orioles really, really taking things to the extreme. We're seeing 50 or 60 pitch, pitch counts and 3-4 innings on starts so far. Meanwhile, most other minor league teams seem to have an 80-pitch limit on their starters already. 

It's frustrating to not see guys like Hall and Baumler pitch at some level. Personally I believe they get more out of pitching in games then in sim games or throwing sessions. But again, the Orioles are slaves to the computer programs when it comes to usage of players. They don't take any of the mental part of it into consideration. It's very sterile from what I can see and have heard. 

It's like they treat every player like the same robot and if the computer program says they pitch this many pitches or play this position, then that's what happens. The program says picking pitches are risky so they barely pick them in the top ten rounds. Meanwhile the Delmarva pitching staff is awful with guys that don't belong in even A ball. 

I guess we'll see whether this all works or not, but I know I'm starting to have concerns on how they are developing pitchers. 

They're being extra cautious with the pitchers they have because they've only drafted 4 in the top ten rounds combined since 2019. Thats severely limiting the amount of pitching thats coming into the system and according to you its now showing in Delmarva. Im curious what they're next move is in this area.

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Didn't the Redskins pick a whole bunch of Tight Ends one draft because their system kept saying a Tight End was the BPA?  Like guys, you do have a full roster you have to populate.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Starting to? Lol. With our numbers the last 3+ years, concerned would be a massive understatment!

That said it seems Duquette/Buck get killed for being "old school" and failing to catch up in analytics, now Elias/Sig get killed for treating players like robots. I'm all for giving the analytics a try after the old school approach clearly wasn't working. I think they are headed in the right direction but it's really hard to know. It could be the Orioles are ahead of the game as it seems a lot of teams are starting to experiment with what it means to be a "starter". Could be a way to compensate for not spending draft picks on high risk/high reward elite starter types. 

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Starting to? Lol. With our numbers the last 3+ years, concerned would be a massive understatment!

That said it seems Duquette/Buck get killed for being "old school" and failing to catch up in analytics, now Elias/Sig get killed for treating players like robots. I'm all for giving the analytics a try after the old school approach clearly wasn't working. I think they are headed in the right direction but it's really hard to know. It could be the Orioles are ahead of the game as it seems a lot of teams are starting to experiment with what it means to be a "starter". Could be a way to compensate for not spending draft picks on high risk/high reward elite starter types. 

Well, the minor league pitching upticked nicely in 2019.   Then in 2020 there was no minor league season, but Akin, Kremer and Zimmermann all debuted somewhat successfully.  At that point I really didn’t have concerns about how the pitching development was coming along. 

2021 was a different story.   Akin and Kremer took big steps backwards, and Lowther, Wells and Baumann were very disappointing.   The bullpen went backwards.  And while there were some success stories in the minors, the lack of depth was pretty palpable.   We’ll see what 2022 brings, but when almost everyone you draft in the high rounds is a position player, it’s not too surprising that the pitching ranks are thin.  

The relatively young, or at least inexperienced, relievers have been the stars of the first four games for me.  Perez, Bautista, Baker, Baumann and even Akin have shined out of the pen.  Promote Rodriquez, Bradish and Hall this year and I think our tunes may change.

Elias does not draft starters that he expects to make the majors.   He trades for them.

Bundy  for  Bradish, Brnovich and Peek

Sulser and Scott for Velez

Mancini and/or maybe Santander will be traded this year.  What do you think Elias is going to ask for in return.  You got it.  Starters in the minors.

I would not be a bit surprise to see Lyles is traded at the deadline.  Give Elias a minor league starter and he is gone.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias does not draft starters that he expects to make the majors.   He trades for them.

Bundy  for  Bradish, Brnovich and Peek

Sulser and Scott for Velez

Mancini and/or maybe Santander will be traded this year.  What do you think Elias is going to ask for in return.  You got it.  Starters in the minors.

I would not be a bit surprise to see Lyles is traded at the deadline.  Give Elias a minor league starter and he is gone.

You think a team is going to give up a future ML starting pitcher for a rental of Lyles?