Orioles set 28-man openings day roster

Tony-OH

54 minutes ago, justD said:

If you really want to know, I know a great place to find out - and I highly recommend it, it's concise, informative, and up to date. I loved it this season, precisely because there were so many unknowns!

Surely I was kidding…we might as well sign Willy Mays Hayes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

I mean Josh Rogers threw 36 ML innings last year and posted a 5.83 FIP...I wouldn't necessarily point to him as a success story in another organization.  

Did he have more success than Akin and Wells at the major league level? The 0.7 WAR he put up last year was better than Kremer, Akin, Lowther, and Wells who put up a -1.8 WAR last year.

Whether he can continue that success of comes back crashing to earth, he was given away for free while pitchers like Thomas Eshelmen, Adam Plutko, Konner Wade and Mickey Jannis were kept.

So the fact is, somebody screwed up. Somebody released him shortly after the season started and kept guys who were not major league pitchers in the least bit. 

We have to accept when Elias and crew screw up. And even if he never earns another positive WAR at the major league level, he was better than every "top" prospect and obviously better than any of the AAA/AA pitchers that tried to eat innings but failed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Orioles didn't give either Mateo or Owings reps in the OF this spring (and Mateo might be starting SS). With new Camden Yards LF outfield defense feels important this year too. Then again I'm more then ready to move on for Stewart....who can't really play the OF anyways 

Good points, but I still think they would be fine with Mateo covering down if needed in LF if when Hays spells Mullins. I don't want to see Stewart in the outfield at all. He's Mancini-esque out there.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

So is Baumann in the pen or the rotation?

We don't know.  We know Wells is the 3rd starter but we know he will be "piggybacked" with someone, and that someone would likely be Akin, Kremer, or Baumann.

Then we know that the 5th starter hasn't been announced, and it could be one of those three, a piggyback of two of those 3, or someone brought up from Norfolk, as Hyde kind of hinted.

I think this 14 position player / 14 pitcher configuration isn't going to last, we'll have 15 pitchers up at some point soon.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We don't know.  We know Wells is the 3rd starter but we know he will be "piggybacked" with someone, and that someone would likely be Wells, Kremer, or Baumann.

Then we know that the 5th starter hasn't been announced, and it could be one of those three, a piggyback of two of those 3, or someone brought up from Norfolk, as Hyde kind of hinted.

I think this 14 position player / 14 pitcher configuration isn't going to last, we'll have 15 pitchers up at some point soon.

You said Wells twice - do you mean Akin? Usually when there is a piggyback a RHP would be paired with an LHP, and Lowther was optioned. Alex Wells is not on the 28 man roster. Going to be painful to see Akin come in and blow Tyler's leads all the time. 

It sounds like Kremer is the most likely for the 5th spot, although he has done his best to pitch himself back to AAA. Unfortunately Baumann hasn't really done anything to leapfrog him. I agree, I suspect if these guys continue to do poorly we will see other options pretty quickly, maybe Bradish sooner rather than later. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

You said Wells twice - do you mean Akin? Usually when there is a piggyback a RHP would be paired with an LHP, and Lowther was optioned. Alex Wells is not on the 28 man roster. Going to be painful to see Akin come in and blow Tyler's leads all the time. 

It sounds like Kremer is the most likely for the 5th spot, although he has done his best to pitch himself back to AAA. Unfortunately Baumann hasn't really done anything to leapfrog him. I agree, I suspect if these guys continue to do poorly we will see other options pretty quickly, maybe Bradish sooner rather than later. 

Yes, I meant Akin, sorry.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Did he have more success than Akin and Wells at the major league level? The 0.7 WAR he put up last year was better than Kremer, Akin, Lowther, and Wells who put up a -1.8 WAR last year.

Whether he can continue that success of comes back crashing to earth, he was given away for free while pitchers like Thomas Eshelmen, Adam Plutko, Konner Wade and Mickey Jannis were kept.

So the fact is, somebody screwed up. Somebody released him shortly after the season started and kept guys who were not major league pitchers in the least bit. 

We have to accept when Elias and crew screw up. And even if he never earns another positive WAR at the major league level, he was better than every "top" prospect and obviously better than any of the AAA/AA pitchers that tried to eat innings but failed.

To your first question, the sample size makes that completely irrevelant.  I would take Kremer, Akin, Lowther or Wells over him going forward without hesitation. 

I think he is interchangeable with the other guys you listed who were kept I mean this is a guy who had middling stuff to begin with, was coming off a major injury and couldn't keep his ERA below 8 in Norfolk.  Maybe in hindsight it was a minor mistake but I can't remember a single person questioning it at the time.  This is grasping at straws a bit for me. 

16 hours ago, Big Mac said:

To your first question, the sample size makes that completely irrevelant.  I would take Kremer, Akin, Lowther or Wells over him going forward without hesitation. 

I think he is interchangeable with the other guys you listed who were kept I mean this is a guy who had middling stuff to begin with, was coming off a major injury and couldn't keep his ERA below 8 in Norfolk.  Maybe in hindsight it was a minor mistake but I can't remember a single person questioning it at the time.  This is grasping at straws a bit for me. 

Lol. What a ridiculous statement. It is Elias and his staff's job to evaluate the talent they have. Not mine, not yours, not everyone else but him and his scouts. 

The fact that they let go a guy who did what he did last year, a year in which this team knew they needed guys to eat innings tells me there was something wrong with the process. 

He wasn't kept over the guys you listed above, he was kept over the Spenser Watckins and Konner Whateverhislastnameisbecausehedoesntmatter's of the world. The team's system said that Plutko would be a better pitcher at the major league level than Rogers who they released from AAA before he had a chance to really pitch after his recovery from TJ in 2019. 

I don't care whether Rogers continues his success this year or not, the fact is the Orioles used many, many pitchers last year that was all clearly deficient to Rogers at the major league level.

i could care less if I didn't see it, or you didn't see it because none of us have the statcast data on the movement of pitches, velocity, and spinrates that the Orioles had.

If that doesn't bother you that the team gave him away by releasing him while they kept Thomas Eshelman and gave a start to Mickey Jannis (A guy who wasn't even a good AA knuckleballer) then that's on you.

I'll give Elias and his crew credit when they deserve and I'm going call them out on their mistakes. Losing Rogers for nothing and not protecting Zach Popp were too unforced errors and makes me question those who are making these evaluations.