Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Frobby said:

.308/.483/.631 in 87 PA.   Hard to find fault with that.    Another 3-4 weeks of that and he may find himself in Norfolk.  

Yeah, because of his slow start I think people stopped projecting him in the O's outfield in the near term.

However, he's basically next year's Stowers in terms of level. Should be in Baltimore about a year from now, so for now (e.g., before trades), next year's outfield looks like Mullins, Hays, Santander, Stowers, Cowser with McKenna, Vavra, Diaz and Neustrom as more depth. Kjerstad is on a similar or slightly later (opening day 2024?) timeframe. And we just drafted a few additional outfield guys.

Just brings to light the challenge Elias has right now. We're in a position to "go for it" this year. If I were him, I'd be buying a starting pitcher and I'd be selling outfielders. The only question is who goes, and I hope Cowser isn't one of those guys.

• Upvote 1

Well, I could argue that we have just as much, if not more depth in the IF.  Urias and Mateo look perfectly fine.  Then you've got Vavra, Westburg, and Henderson in AA.   Norby, Ortiz, Mayo, and Prieto at AA.  Ortiz is breaking out and I wouldn't discount Norby or Prieto from becoming more enticing as prospects as they are now.  Then you've got Hernaiz, Bencosme, and Holliday at lower levels.  And I don't want to totally discount Collin Burns at Aberdeen who's had a very nice first full season.

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, I could argue that we have just as much, if not more depth in the IF.  Urias and Mateo look perfectly fine.  Then you've got Vavra, Westburg, and Henderson in AA.   Norby, Ortiz, Mayo, and Prieto at AA.  Ortiz is breaking out and I wouldn't discount Norby or Prieto from becoming more enticing as prospects as they are now.  Then you've got Hernaiz, Bencosme, and Holliday at lower levels.  And I don't want to totally discount Collin Burns at Aberdeen who's had a very nice first full season.

It is an enviable position to be in.  Still need pitching but we should have the resources to acquire it.  

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Aberdeen does seem to have slowed Kjerstad, understandably, but you'd hope '23 Kjerstad is at or above Stowers' level.

I have decided to stop paying attention to hitter stats in Aberdeen

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is an enviable position to be in.  Still need pitching but we should have the resources to acquire it.  

Agreed.  Can we out together 4/5 of a rotation from Wells, Kremer, Rodriguez,  Hall, Bradish, Watkins, and Voth?

I could envision a 

1. ?

2. Tyler Wells

3. Grayson Rodriguez 

4. D.L. Hall/Austin Voth combination 

5. Dean Kremer

You still have Means waiting in the wings and maybe Bradish/Watkins in the mix. We have a fairly deep bullpen with all potentially coming back.  So, do we need one starter?  Two?

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Stowers' window might get smushed if we hold our guys.    He probably isn't better than Santander or Mancini now, and Cowser is coming up fast.

Aberdeen does seem to have slowed Kjerstad, understandably, but you'd hope '23 Kjerstad is at or above Stowers' level.

When you hit .463 for a month, you're likely to hit a dry spell no matter where you are.  I don't think it's much more than that.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When you hit .463 for a month, you're likely to hit a dry spell no matter where you are.  I don't think it's much more than that.

Yeah, not concerned at this point.  The K rate is a little higher at Aberdeen (23%) than at Delmarva (17%), but it’s not awful.  I’d be happier if he had a .463 BA rather than .194, but overall I’m happy that he’s healthy and getting a look at pro pitching.  There’s still plenty of time for him to get rolling.