Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

Thing I learned from the list:  Jordan Westburg is 6' 3" and 203 lbs.  I didn't realize he was that big.  Could learn to love an infield with him at 3rd, Gunnar Henderson at SS, and Vavra over anyone currently on our roster at 2B.  We'll get some occassional production out of the bottom three in our lineup, but it is often brutal.  Like to see those promotions sooner rather than later.

47 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But Westburg is a SS. That alone should put him comfortably ahead of Cowser. 

Depends a bit on whether you really think Westburg could be an everyday SS, and whether Cowser could be an everyday CF.   If Westburg really can be a SS, or if Cowser can’t really be a CF, then I agree that’s a significant factor.  But if Cowser can play a legit CF and Westburg is really a 2B/3B who can play SS in a pinch, then it’s not much of a factor at all.   

Anyway, to me I think it’s close between the two of them, and if someone wants to rank Cowser first (which several sources do), I’m not going to accuse them of going strictly on pedigree.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends a bit on whether you really think Westburg could be an everyday SS, and whether Cowser could be an everyday CF.   If Westburg really can be a SS, or if Cowser can’t really be a CF, then I agree that’s a significant factor.  But if Cowser can play a legit CF and Westburg is really a 2B/3B who can play SS in a pinch, then it’s not much of a factor at all.   

Anyway, to me I think it’s close between the two of them, and if someone wants to rank Cowser first (which several sources do), I’m not going to accuse them of going strictly on pedigree.

What if Westburg is a 2B/3B and Cowser is a corner OFer?    I don't think Cowser has the range of Mullins, Hays or McKenna.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

What if Westburg is a 2B/3B and Cowser is a corner OFer?    I don't think Cowser has the range of Mullins, Hays or McKenna.

I doubt Cowser has the range of Mullins or McKenna but I doubt you have a good reason why it wouldn't be as good or better than Hays.

53 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I doubt Cowser has the range of Mullins or McKenna but I doubt you have a good reason why it wouldn't be as good or better than Hays.

That’s what I think, based solely on what I’ve read, not any eyewitness opinion.

To answer wildcard’s question, if you read my prior post carefully, it said if Westburg really could be a SS or if Cowser can’t really play CF, then the positional difference would be significant.   So if Westburg is a 2B/3B and Cowser is a corner OF, advantage Westburg. 

I originally thought Mateo would do enough to hold onto SS but it's not looking good.  I am beginning to think we will see a whole new infield by next season with Henderson 3B, Westburg SS, and Vavra 2B.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s what I think, based solely on what I’ve read, not any eyewitness opinion.

To answer wildcard’s question, if you read my prior post carefully, it said if Westburg really could be a SS or if Cowser can’t really play CF, then the positional difference would be significant.   So if Westburg is a 2B/3B and Cowser is a corner OF, advantage Westburg. 

I just posted this in another thread, but Cowser had a .962 OPS in June. I think his slow start made people think he's not as good as he is.

I'd wager he'll have as much or more value as Westburg even without a positional bump. And I like Westburg. Just saying, Cowser's on these lists for a reason. He's a really good prospect.

Interesting thing about his ranking:  50 Hit and 50 Power.  That's only average, right?  Above average (55) running and fielding as well as arm strength.  Does that sound like someone who should be top 100?  I personally think they're underselling his attributes but I am only basing that off his stats.  

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I originally thought Mateo would do enough to hold onto SS but it's not looking good.  I am beginning to think we will see a whole new infield by next season with Henderson 3B, Westburg SS, and Vavra 2B.  

I don’t know why Vavra would be better than Urias. I see him more as a replacement for McKenna. 

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Season is only half over.   Mateo may have a  better 2nd half offensively.   

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I don’t know why Vavra would be better than Urias. I see him more as a replacement for McKenna. 

400 OBP would make Vavra better than Urias.   The question about Vavra is his arm strength to turn the double play.  I just don't know the answer to that.

Vavra does not have the speed to replace McKenna as the backup CF.