Aesthetically it's a wash for me--the tall wall is forbidding, but I like the new funky angles.   Competitively, we won't get any short-term advantage, as it will help opposing pitchers as much as it helps our pitchers.  But in the long term, we will have an easier time signing free agent starting pitching, and that is a good thing given that Elias' philosophy is to buy the arms and grow the bats.  

12 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Aesthetically it's a wash for me--the tall wall is forbidding, but I like the new funky angles.   Competitively, we won't get any short-term advantage, as it will help opposing pitchers as much as it helps our pitchers.  But in the long term, we will have an easier time signing free agent starting pitching, and that is a good thing given that Elias' philosophy is to buy the arms and grow the bats.  

I think there are ways you can build your team to better take advantage of it as a home ball park. For example, employing a LF who could at least tread water as a CF (Hays, Cowser, etc.) alongside a Mullins could play the space well vs. teams with a Luke Scott type of bat only guy in LF. 

3 hours ago, joelala said:

I like the renovation. That nook in left field actually adds more character I think. 

I thought left field (better than I imagined before today) looked fine, even if it's a bandaid to cover up a suspect pitching staff.

I want the centerfield hotel gone. If I bought the Orioles, I would try to figure out a way to condemn the Hilton Hotel and demolish it. The sightline in the outfield was perfect before it was ruined by that monstrosity of a building. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I thought left field (better than I imagined before today) looked fine, even if it's a bandaid to cover up a suspect pitching staff.

I want the centerfield hotel gone. If I bought the Orioles, I would try to figure out a way to condemn the Hilton Hotel and demolish it. the sightline in the outfield was perfect before it was ruined by that monstrosity of a hotel. 

You could cut payroll and other expenses to the bone to save up enough to buy the Hilton and demolish it.

4 hours ago, deward said:

Was the stadium an issue from 2012-2017? Will the change not help pitchers from other teams for some reason?

I know that Palmer frequently mentioned he pitched to "the big part of the ballpark".  I am too young to remember the original Memorial Stadium before the fences were moved in, but I found the dimensions were left center 446, center 445 and right center 446.   Palmer is obviously a 3 time Cy Young winner and Hall of Fame pitcher, so if he says it helped him, I believe it would help young struggling pitchers more.  I guess I have something against popups, half swings and one arm swings that go over the fence.   I believe that HR should be swings where the hitter "got all of it" or at least got good contact on the ball.  Chicks might have digged the long ball at one time, but I'm sure they're bored of teams getting 300 HR a year. 

I think it looks pretty awful.

I think it would look somewhat less awful if the padding panels were all one continuous piece instead of it being one piece of the old height with an extra square piece on top to cover the difference of the new height.

I would say that I hope that this gets fixed eventually but they had all winter to get it ready and still went with this patchwork arrangement, so I guess this is how they want it. Maybe having new, larger panels manufactured was too just expensive so they decided they were okay with it looking cheaper and jankier than it needed to.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'd love to know what Janet Marie Smith thinks of it.

I'm pretty ambivalent about it.  Don't like the higher wall or see what benefit that adds, which they would have just kept the wall height consistent.

Outside of some drastic design option, the further back the wall goes, the higher it has to be because of the angle of the seats.

• Upvote 1