Felix Bautista 2022

Just Regular

He wasn't as good tonight, but his debut was filthy enough to get the Statcast guys writing about him as a top opening weekend thing.   Link at bottom has some videos of the 1-2 sequence to get Wander Franco.

It’s true that he touched 99 mph, blowing the ball past Franco. But 99 isn’t that hard to find these days. What’s far more interesting is the obscene amount of rise he got on it, which is to say that his fastball dropped only 6.6 inches on the way to the plate, and while some of that is about velo -- gravity requires time, does it not? -- it’s still an absurd number given that last year, no fastballs dropped less than 10 inches.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2022--mlb-season-first-weekend-facts

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately Adames' double that became the game-winning run was on his Slider.   Is a 3rd pitch really necessary?

Velocity-wise tonight, Hader in the 9th couldn't unseat him for the game's fastest pitches.

Top Pitch Velocity MPH
110.svg 642585.png Felix Bautista 98.6
110.svg 642585.png Felix Bautista 98.1
158.svg 623352.png Josh Hader 98.0
110.svg 642585.png Felix Bautista 97.8
110.svg 642585.png Felix Bautista 97.7
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/20/2022 at 12:03 AM, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, he’s effectively wild. I don’t think he’s gonna walk a lot of guys but at times he doesn’t make finding the zone look easy. There’s a lot to like and I’m happy we have him but there’s something I don’t fully trust yet. 

It’s what made Rivera so incredible. Seems like most other relievers can only be dominant for a couple years. I’d take 2 more like this year from Bautista.

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big time save. I wonder if he’s out for tomorrow now?  Khreibel has been struggling and it’s affected our pen. We really need Hall to put things together. 

I know he's still a couple weeks away still, but I wonder if Tyler Wells goes back to the pen for the rest of the season as well. That could certainly help if he can get back into the routine of it.