Anthony Santander 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bbref has him at $3.1mm. 1.0 WAR so far. He might fetch something. Stowers and Cowser aren’t looking like the locks they did last year. 

Stowers is bumming me out more than Cowser, and I know that's not a take most people agree with. But Stowers was the guy that enabled you to make trades. Or even be a trade target himself if the O's decided to trade from their one-time apparent outfield depth. Now? I dunno. You certainly don't want to trade Santander and just hand RF to Stowers and watch him K himself into oblivion at the ML level, which is what it looks like he'd be doing right now. 

Stowers playing poorly is a huge hit to the young outfield depth in this organization.

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Even with slowish starts from Stowers and Cowser, our OF depth is still much stronger than our IF depth. I think trading Santander for pitching or infielders at some point is still a solid potential approach. 

What OF depth though? If Stowers isn't a dude, then you're left with Neustrom (OBP down below .320 now) and.... who exactly? McKenna and Stewart? Diaz? 

Haskin at AA?

Stowers is the real key to this depth, which is quickly seeming not as deep as it once did. 

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Even with slowish starts from Stowers and Cowser, our OF depth is still much stronger than our IF depth. I think trading Santander for pitching or infielders at some point is still a solid potential approach. 

Outfield depth at the ML level but our best prospects, IMO, are Henderson, Westburg, Mayo, Prieto.  Right now, I'm not sure I place an outfielder ahead of those 4.  

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

What OF depth though? If Stowers isn't a dude, then you're left with Neustrom (OBP down below .320 now) and.... who exactly? McKenna and Stewart? Diaz? 

Haskin at AA?

Stowers is the real key to this depth, which is quickly seeming not as deep as it once did. 

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Outfield depth at the ML level but our best prospects, IMO, are Henderson, Westburg, Mayo, Prieto.  Right now, I'm not sure I place an outfielder ahead of those 4.  

I guess it depends how much you read into those slow starts-- when I look at the outfield situation I see three pretty strong MLB players and a couple solid but not on-fire prospects. For the infield (outside 1b) what we have in Baltimore is SO bad and what we have in prospects is farther away on average than what we have in the outfield. 

To contend in the next few years we may only need one "hit" among the outfield prospects. We probably need multiple in the infield. If Stowers/Cowser have bad years in the end and most of those infielders have good years then the odds may change, but right now I still think we have a better chance of meeting our own needs on the OF front. 

There's an unknown with who we draft #1 as well-- infielder or outfielder (doesn't seem like a pitcher is likely this year). We'll know that by the trade deadline.

I don't know if I trade Santander or not. I'm loving the fact he has walked a lot more this year, but he hasn't drawn a walk in his last seven games. His average is higher than it was on April 30, but his OBP has dropped over 40-points in that span. I'd like to see if he can stabilize that OBP and keep it 100 points over his average going forward or if he continues to regress to his typical lower OBP self. If the team thinks the extra walks and higher OBP is a mirage and going to continue to regress, then I'm all for moving him still, but if not and it could be for real, I'd like to keep him given Stowers and Cowser are bigger questions and Heston Kjerstad has still yet to play a regular season game as a professional.

Currently, once Hays is back on the field, the outfield looks solid in the majors right now and there are some guys on the farm (even if the biggest names have serious questions right now). The outfield depth is fine, but not good enough for me to trade Santander if he really has found a way to improve in the OBP department. 

So last night I finish dinner and check my phone to see what’s going on in the game.  I look and it’s still the first inning, runners on 1st and 3rd and nobody out, with Santander up.   I turn on my TV just in time to see Santander line one into the hole between 1st and 2nd, but Torres makes a great diving catch and Mancini is doubled up at first.   I start cursing and yelling so bad that my wife leaves the room, and I hadn’t had the TV on for more than 30 seconds yet.   I knew in the depths of my soul that we were destined to muster almost no more offense and lose that game.  If Torres doesn’t catch that ball, the whole game might have been different.  I hate baseball sometimes.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So last night I finish dinner and check my phone to see what’s going on in the game.  I look and it’s still the first inning, runners on 1st and 3rd and nobody out, with Santander up.   I turn on my TV just in time to see Santander line one into the hole between 1st and 2nd, but Torres makes a great diving catch and Mancini is doubled up at first.   I start cursing and yelling so bad that my wife leaves the room, and I hadn’t had the TV on for more than 30 seconds yet.   I knew in the depths of my soul that we were destined to muster almost no more offense and lose that game.  If Torres doesn’t catch that ball, the whole game might have been different.  I hate baseball sometimes.  

I can't imagine you cursing or yelling lol. 

9 hours ago, interloper said:

Stowers is bumming me out more than Cowser, and I know that's not a take most people agree with. But Stowers was the guy that enabled you to make trades. Or even be a trade target himself if the O's decided to trade from their one-time apparent outfield depth. Now? I dunno. You certainly don't want to trade Santander and just hand RF to Stowers and watch him K himself into oblivion at the ML level, which is what it looks like he'd be doing right now. 

Stowers playing poorly is a huge hit to the young outfield depth in this organization.

The O's can always put Owings in RF,  That guy can play anywhere! 🤣