Austin Hays 2022

Ohfan67

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Adam Jones' best season was 2012: 5.7 WAR, .839 OPS, 32 HR, AS, GG. 

Hays' 2022 so far: 2.2 WAR, .829 OPS, 10 HR, AS-bound. 

He may not end up with quite the season Jones had, but it's going to be awfully close if he stays healthy. 

He’s on pace for 5.1 rWAR.   I’d be very happy if he maintained his current pace all season.  But in my opinion he hasn’t quite hit his ceiling yet.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That's odd. Was the argument that they should have pinch hit for him?

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From what I recall he was just unhappy that a player of such dubious quality joined that august company.

That's what made it so weird. What was Pie going to do, strike out on purpose?  Pie needed a triple in his at bat in the 7th to get the cycle, and he hit a deep liner between Gary Matthews Jr and Bobby Abreu. Was he supposed to hold up at second to honor Brooks and Cal and Aubrey "Baltimore is a $#%@$% town" Huff?  Dave Trembley was a huge respect the unwritten rules of the game kind of guy, maybe there's one nobody every heard of about not hitting for the cycle if it's going to slightly sully the memories of a long-gone hero?

scOtt was a cool guy, but this was just off the reservation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

That's what made it so weird. What was Pie going to do, strike out on purpose?  Pie needed a triple in his at bat in the 7th to get the cycle, and he hit a deep liner between Gary Matthews Jr and Bobby Abreu. Was he supposed to hold up at second to honor Brooks and Cal and Aubrey "Baltimore is a $#%@$% town" Huff?  Dave Trembley was a huge respect the unwritten rules of the game kind of guy, maybe there's one nobody every heard of about not hitting for the cycle if it's going to slightly sully the memories of a long-gone hero?

I remember the rant.  It was bizarre and no one could talk him off that ledge at the time.  

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Hopefully Hays will repeat Jones' trick of extreme sturdiness after an early career brittle reputation.

What Oriole Bat is on the podium with Adley and Gunnar as third* banana in Adley career playoff game #1?

*assuming no Tejada character in the mix

Hays is certainly a candidate.   Mountcastle too if all we are talking about is offense.   

22 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Found the highlight if anyone wants to watch. I guess you could argue that going for the triple was the equivalent of trying to steal a base with a big lead. However, with Pie's speed there was no question that was a triple. He didn't even get a throw. If they didn't want to give up a triple maybe the CF shouldn't have been playing him Little League-level shallow with a 250 foot gap.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=228161435754719

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm going to guess that this was the "I've been indulging in lots of brews" ScOtt version. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Why? And at who?  If I were him I would have been mad that Shane Loux (the Angels reliever) allowed seven runs in the 7th to the 48-67 Orioles. Scioscia was the one who left him in to take the beating.

I know there’s the unwritten rule about not running up the score unnecessarily with a huge lead, but I would have to think there’s another unwritten rule trumping that which says if you get the chance to hit for the cycle, you take it. I wouldn’t hold it against anybody if they did it to us, even if we had a position player on the mound.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Hays and Mullins are good reminders that it often takes guys years to really lock in at the ML level to the degree we think they should. 

Has Mullins "locked in" or was 2021 his career year not to be repeated?

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Has Mullins "locked in" or was 2021 his career year not to be repeated?

Not sure if they are mutually exclusive, since nobody expected Mullins to hit 30 homers and almost hit .300.  With that said, Mullins had a lot of extra base hits in the minors and, even this year, is on pace for about 15 homers and 35 doubles.  I think it’s reasonable to expect the average up around .265-.275 with a .325-.340 OBP, 30+ steals, plus defense in CF, and 50+ extra base hits.  That probably comes out to around a 4 WAR.