Interesting catching tidbit from Hyde

interloper

14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That would kinda be the thing they would keep proprietary, no?

Well, some things would be out in the open: use of pitchers, positioning of fielders, training techniques, roster construction, putting crabmeat on pretzels. Others I would hope to hear about well after the fact.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've read the first. I don't know as much about Richards as I probably should. Thanks.

I thought it was clear that I am hoping there will be some innovation as well as judicious use of other teams' ideas as part of the rebuild. The baseball brilliance of 40 to 60 years isn't going to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've read the first. I don't know as much about Richards as I probably should. Thanks.

I thought it was clear that I am hoping there will be some innovation as well as judicious use of other teams' ideas as part of the rebuild. The baseball brilliance of 40 to 60 years isn't going to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

I get it but I do think Richards should get more notice than he does.

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Well, some things would be out in the open: use of pitchers, positioning of fielders, training techniques, roster construction, putting crabmeat on pretzels. Others I would hope to hear about well after the fact.

If you ever listen to the Patrick Jones podcast, he was a code for the Orioles last year. He never makes the podcast about the Orioles, but he often talks about a bunch of innovative stuff that they are doing.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't know it. Thanks.

I sympathize with those incredibly frustrated with MASN, credentials, information for fans, general relationship with non-inside people and the ML payroll, but I'm EXTREMELY optimistic about what they're doing from a position player development perspective.

That also gives me faith on what they're doing with pitching, but I just don't see as many horses on that side.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It's an interesting strategy. It goes against what has been said for decades, but it makes sense for guys who just throw hard who might not have the best control. Instead of nibbling, just let it rip. But I wonder how this will impact arm injuries and also how much of this is based on "the crackdown."

On a side note, I remember some complaints from last season when Wynns was catching and would "move around" during the wind up and sometimes set up low (while Severino just wouldn't move unless the ball went directly to his glove.)

If he was instructed to do that (since he never did that in the Minors, ever), maybe they saw it didn't help or had some complaints about it as it WAS weird, maybe this was their way of correcting it?

I'll see if I can find it, but Glasnow did an interview about how when he first got to the Rays - they just told him to throw his best pitch in the middle of the plate. It's their big strategy at the moment, find guys with a plus pitch and just tell them to throw it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I sympathize with those incredibly frustrated with MASN, credentials, information for fans, general relationship with non-inside people and the ML payroll, but I'm EXTREMELY optimistic about what they're doing from a position player development perspective.

That also gives me faith on what they're doing with pitching, but I just don't see as many horses on that side.

Yep, this is my view of things as well, from the valid criticisms to the things to be optimistic about. 

It's easy to say they don't draft enough pitching, but at the same time, it's looking like their hit rate on position players is going to be very good. So if that's where they feel most confident in having success, go for it. When you can rattle off 7-10 draftees who are moving through the system and on target to be big leaguers, you're doing something right. Adley, Stowers, Cowser, Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz, Mayo, etc. Like it's going to be disappointing if ALL of those guys aren't decent MLers, so I think that says something. 

3 hours ago, Porky said:

I'll see if I can find it, but Glasnow did an interview about how when he first got to the Rays - they just told him to throw his best pitch in the middle of the plate. It's their big strategy at the moment, find guys with a plus pitch and just tell them to throw it.

It figures the Rays would be one of the first teams to do that.