Adam Hall 2022

RZNJ

It's too early to say but it looks like Adam Hall has come back from the edge of irrelevancy to relevant prospect again.    He still needs to improve his walk to strikeouts but tonight was as step in the right direction with 2 walks.   4 stolen bases in 4 attempts so far and playing exclusively in the outfield.    At this point, he's looking like he might have a chance to be a super utility buy with the ability to play middle IF and outfield and steal a base.

Hall has advanced a level and seems to be better at Bowie.  I hope it continues.   If he can ever make consistent contact he could be a pretty pesky hitter who can steal some bases.

Not sure what happened to him last year in Aberdeen but he was looking very hitterish as a 20 year old in Delmarva.

I kind of wrote him off last year because of the terrible strike out ratio and lack of power. Also played himself off SS. 

Maybe the speed and hit tool is enough to eventually make him a utility player someday at the MLB level. 

He’s traditionally a very slow starter, so it’s a great sign that he’s off to a hot start.   Matt Blood was talking him up in an interview during the early part of camp, saying he looked like he’d worked hard to improve over the winter.  Let’s hope it continues.   He’s a fantastic baserunner, if he can get on.  

It’s a sport that’s all about analytics, but maybe some guys just have bad years? Sometimes a season can give you clarity on what to work on. We can all hope Hall is a guy who identified what to fix and worked his tail off to fix that stuff.

He pretty much created a run all by himself last night.    On a bloop single where the CF charging into left-center had a dive/trap he barely missed, Hall had one of those aggressive rounds of 1st, and charged for 2nd successfully as the outfielder was standing up to get his short throw in.    Close play but he made it with a headfirst slide (big sliding glove was worn on left hand).

The steal of 3rd was standing up - seemed to me the kind of battery not paying attention you can get sometimes in the minor leagues.    Gunnar's 4th inning sac fly with Hall on 3rd, one out was a line shot to CF where his wheels helped him get in safe too; CF probably would have had a shot at a slower runner.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hall has a clear path to everyday ABs now at Bowie. Currently has a .723 OPS. Just turned 23 in May. He gets a chance to carve out a Util role now. 

It would be interesting if they put him in the infield mix at 3B and do the rotation thing with him, Ortiz, and Prieto.  I mean, utility, all positions and he's played a lot of SS and 2B before, but not much this year.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It would be interesting if they put him in the infield mix at 3B and do the rotation thing with him, Ortiz, and Prieto.  I mean, utility, all positions and he's played a lot of SS and 2B before, but not much this year.

They may not have a choice unless they add an infielder to the roster. They absolutely should play him everywhere. His oath to the majors will be as a utility guy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hall missed a lot of time on the IL but is having a pretty solid, Hall-like campaign: in 41 games he’s hitting .281/.376/.366, and has stolen 16 bases without getting caught.  In the last two years, he’s stolen 42 bases and has been caught one time.   He’s a very efficient baserunner.  I’d love to see the guy carve out a career as a utility player/pinch runner.  He’s always had good OBP skills, there’s just not much power there.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hall missed a lot of time on the IL but is having a pretty solid, Hall-like campaign: in 41 games he’s hitting .281/.376/.366, and has stolen 16 bases without getting caught.  In the last two years, he’s stolen 42 bases and has been caught one time.   He’s a very efficient baserunner.  I’d love to see the guy carve out a career as a utility player/pinch runner.  He’s always had good OBP skills, there’s just not much power there.   

Brian Roberts was my favorite player growing up and Hall fits that mold in some ways, undersized and great on the basepaths. 

The positional flexibility of Henderson, Westburg and Vavra will go a long way towards Hall getting a shot with the Orioles, I think. Would be a lot of fun to see him out there making things happen.

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Brian Roberts was my favorite player growing up and Hall fits that mold in some ways, undersized and great on the basepaths. 

The positional flexibility of Henderson, Westburg and Vavra will go a long way towards Hall getting a shot with the Orioles, I think. Would be a lot of fun to see him out there making things happen.

Maybe if we can sneak Hall some of those supplements Roberts took he'll start hitting for more power?

“Bowie infielder-outfielder Adam Hall was sent to the Rookie-level Florida Complex League this week. Hall has been mostly used as a designated hitter recently and is dealing with a shoulder issue that is hindering his throwing, and he will rehab that in the FCL. He can run and hit and play in games as a DH, but has to rehab his shoulder and will do that in Florida. In 41 games with Bowie, Hall was batting .281/.376/.366/.742.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/a-minor-league-pitcher-enjoying-a-big-year-and-other-minors-notes

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

“Bowie infielder-outfielder Adam Hall was sent to the Rookie-level Florida Complex League this week. Hall has been mostly used as a designated hitter recently and is dealing with a shoulder issue that is hindering his throwing, and he will rehab that in the FCL. He can run and hit and play in games as a DH, but has to rehab his shoulder and will do that in Florida. In 41 games with Bowie, Hall was batting .281/.376/.366/.742.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/a-minor-league-pitcher-enjoying-a-big-year-and-other-minors-notes

He's leaning hard into the Roberts comp.