Carlos Tavera 2022

Just Regular

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tavera threw 5 innings of one-hit shutout ball today, no walks and six strikeouts.   He seems like he could be figuring things out!   Fingers crossed.  

The results are getting consistently good.  The question is, what kind of stuff is he carrying and what can we hope for as far as his future. 

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The results are getting consistently good.  The question is, what kind of stuff is he carrying and what can we hope for as far as his future. 

I don’t know a ton about Tavera, but I do know that throwing strikes was a big issue for him when we drafted him.   He’s walked one batter over 9 innings in his last two outings, so that’s very encouraging.   I’ll leave it to those who have seen him pitch to analyze whether his stuff can play at higher levels.  

I saw him pitch against Jersey Shore a couple of weeks ago.  None of their hitters really stood out.  Only a couple of hard hits.  But one was a HR.  He was sitting mid-90s.  He didn’t look overwhelming but still ended up with a solid line.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/blueclaws-vs-ironbirds/2022/04/30/674595#game_state=final,game_tab=,game=674595

Tavera is stacking up the good outings now.  Today, 4.2 shutout innings, 3 hits and a walk, 6 strikeouts.  In May, he’s allowed 1 run in 18.1 IP over 4 outings, scattering 6 hits and 5 walks while striking out 26.   Overall, his ERA is down to 2.76.   Pretty exciting stuff.   

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend, the pregame show's Sundays with Steve segment, Melewski had the detail Tavera earned May Pitcher of the Month in his league.

Though by the time of the report, June 1 had been very unkind, giving him current monthly ERA splits of 5.65, 0.49 and 27.00.

On the year he is at 586 pitches in his 9 starts, 65/game almost on the dot.

Tavera may have the best changeup in the system. Paired with the his 94-95 MPH fastball, he could be a solid bullpen piece. Right now his slider is his 3rd pitch and while it can flash average at times, it's not a great major league pitch. Saying that, I've seen him throw a perfect inning with just sliders and changeups. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Tavera may have the best changeup in the system. Paired with the his 94-95 MPH fastball, he could be a solid bullpen piece. Right now his slider is his 3rd pitch and while it can flash average at times, it's not a great major league pitch. Saying that, I've seen him throw a perfect inning with just sliders and changeups. 

Better than Grayson's?

Wow