Robert Neustrom 2022

Hazmat

Was good to see him homer off a lefty the other day. He only had 4 HR against lefty pitching last year in 155 ABs. If he brings up his numbers against lefties he becomes more interesting. He has a lot of raw power, but it’s hard to imagine him hitting for much of an average. His head is just moving so much as he’s triggering his swing. I’d love to see them rework his swing so he’s more stable and seeing the pitch longer. 

• Like 1

Neustrom is one of those guys who’s not high profile on the prospect radar, but you can’t completely dismiss the possibility that he could become a useful major league player.   He’s got both plate discipline and power.   So far this year, he’s cut his strikeout rate in half compared to his AAA numbers last season.   For me, if he’s able to keep his K rate under 20% (was 24.5% last year, 11.8% so far this year), he becomes interesting.   Last year I said he was very similar to DJ Stewart, but if the K’s stay down I may have underrated him.  

• Upvote 1

DJ Stewart is a pretty good comp for Neustrom overall. They have very similar skill sets in that they can draw a walk and hit for occasional power. Neustrom looks better in uniform, but he's is a below average outfielder like Stewart, but more like when Stewart came up and not the disaster he became over the last few years out there.

There batting numbers as similar ages and levels are pretty close though Stewart out performed him a bit more at AA and AAA. So can he help the team as some potential left-handed pop off the bench if there's a need, sure, he can provide that, but I don't see him being much different than Stewart at the major league level.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

DJ Stewart is a pretty good comp for Neustrom overall. They have very similar skill sets in that they can draw a walk and hit for occasional power. Neustrom looks better in uniform, but he's is a below average outfielder like Stewart, but more like when Stewart came up and not the disaster he became over the last few years out there.

There batting numbers as similar ages and levels are pretty close though Stewart out performed him a bit more at AA and AAA. So can he help the team as some potential left-handed pop off the bench if there's a need, sure, he can provide that, but I don't see him being much different than Stewart at the major league level.

DJ Stewart seemed to struggle with the higher velocity at the big league level.  Did most of his damage on hanging breaking balls. 

If Neustrom doesn't have a problem with the fastball he should have more potential to succeed in the majors. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

DJ Stewart seemed to struggle with the higher velocity at the big league level.  Did most of his damage on hanging breaking balls. 

If Neustrom doesn't have a problem with the fastball he should have more potential to succeed in the majors. 

Doesn't everyone do most of their damage on hanging breaking balls?

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that handles 96+ with aplomb but struggles to hit the hanging curveball.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

No?

Let me rephrase.

Hanging breaking balls are more likely to be barreled up by hitters than other pitches.

So a disproportion amount of damage will be done to those types of pitches.

I wouldn't expect Neustrom to outperform Stewart in the majors.  He might, but I don't expect him to.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't everyone do most of their damage on hanging breaking balls?

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that handles 96+ with aplomb but struggles to hit the hanging curveball.

I think in general, you have some guys who hit the fastball better and some who do better against breaking pitches.  But I was speaking more to DJ's inability to catch up to a good fastball. 

Austin Hays is someone that comes to mind that is a good fastball hitter.  Seems to struggle more against breaking pitches. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think in general, you have some guys who hit the fastball better and some who do better against breaking pitches.  But I was speaking more to DJ's inability to catch up to a good fastball. 

Austin Hays is someone that comes to mind that is a good fastball hitter.  Seems to struggle more against breaking pitches. 

Yea, good ones.

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He's the next outfielder up from Norfolk IMO.  

We could do worse...

Trade Santander for a pitching prospect.

Go with Mullins, Hays, Stowers, and Neustrom

Bring up Adley

Fast Track Vavra, Henderson.

Prosper.