Robert Neustrom 2022

Hazmat

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Neustrom is a left-handed, platoon corner outfielder/DH that probably should not play left field in Camden.    He has a 966 OPS vs righties and a 661 vs lefties.

It will probably take an injury to get him to Baltimore.

Why would it take an injury?  He would be your fourth outfielder.

If Mancini can play the outfield so can Neustrom. I rather have him as a bat off the bench than guaranteed outs like McKenna, Owings, or Odor. 

We already have two guys who can play center.   It makes sense to give Neustrom a shot and I suspect he will get it soon. 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

If Mancini can play the outfield so can Neustrom. I rather have him as a bat off the bench than guaranteed outs like McKenna, Owings, or Odor. 

We already have two guys who can play center.   It makes sense to give Neustrom a shot and I suspect he will get it soon. 

Not saying you are wrong.  That is just not the way I see it.    The O's need speed in left and center when they are home.   That is Mullins and Hays.   But they should be backed up with a guy with speed.

McKenna was actually hitting when he was sent down.  He has a 375 OBP as a backup.   That is pretty good.  I am not saying he should start but he was doing well in his role.   Better IMO then I would expect from Neustrom in the majors.  And McKenna has the speed I think the O's should be looking for.

McKenna has sent down because Hyde wants 14 pitchers.   That should not last all season.

• 3 weeks later...

Putting together a nice season so far.  8 Hr (one less than Stowers) and OPSing .817.  He’s plays a solid RF.  He’s definitely earned an opportunity and a pay raise, but how do you fit him in and get him ABs w/o a trade (or two).  Is he attractive as a potential throw in for a trade? You gotta like that every year he has improved as he has moved up to tougher competition.  He’s on pace to hit 50% more HR than last year.  

• Upvote 1

The biggest knock on him going into the season was that he doesn’t hit lefties well. So far, he’s done even worse this year. He has big power potential, but he just doesn’t make consistent contact. I’m my opinion, his swing mechanics rob him of his potential. To hit ML pitching well, you need to see the ball well. You want your head still so you can see the ball movement right to the bat. He has too much head movement. I don’t know his numbers against pitch types, but I’d expect his numbers against anything other than the FB at the major league level will be awful. I want to see him succeed because he has the raw power and physical frame. But he needs to reinvent himself at the plate, and that doesn’t happen often. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 10:49 AM, ChuckS said:

I’m a big fan of having vets or org guys be your bench if you’re still developing a player at all. Even McKenna and Neustrom. I want them playing everyday. I’d rather have a Dwight Smith type on the team. 

4 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

The biggest knock on him going into the season was that he doesn’t hit lefties well. So far, he’s done even worse this year. He has big power potential, but he just doesn’t make consistent contact. I’m my opinion, his swing mechanics rob him of his potential. To hit ML pitching well, you need to see the ball well. You want your head still so you can see the ball movement right to the bat. He has too much head movement. I don’t know his numbers against pitch types, but I’d expect his numbers against anything other than the FB at the major league level will be awful. I want to see him succeed because he has the raw power and physical frame. But he needs to reinvent himself at the plate, and that doesn’t happen often. 

I knew he struggled against LHP but didn't' realize the splits were that bad.  It looks like he's a little behind last year against LHP but he hasn't dropped off a cliff completely, but absolutely a glaring red flag.  Honestly, I had written him off when I saw that long swing a couple years ago but he keeps putting up #s that keep you interested.  Those splits definitely scream platoon, though.  And i think your assessment is correct, he will likely struggle against advanced pitching with that swing.   BTW go Terps!  Confernce Champs woot woot! 

• Upvote 1

Tony, please tell me he is better defensively than Stewart. D J may have been the most inept OF I have seen in years.  Neustrom seems to have a better reputation, although obviously he is no Mullins or Hays, although I have not seen him live. Stewart was definitely cringeworthy out there.  Your insight is appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, coe76 said:

Tony, please tell me he is better defensively than Stewart. D J may have been the most inept OF I have seen in years.  Neustrom seems to have a better reputation, although obviously he is no Mullins or Hays, although I have not seen him live. Stewart was definitely cringeworthy out there.  Your insight is appreciated. 

He's a slightly below average outfielder which was similar to Stewart when he first made his debut. He lacks footspeed i the outfield and has an average at best arm more suited for left field in most stadiums but not Camden.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a slightly below average outfielder which was similar to Stewart when he first made his debut. He lacks footspeed i the outfield and has an average at best arm more suited for left field in most stadiums but not Camden.

Stewart turned out to perform significantly worse than advertised.  I was never sure whether he was actually less skilled than expected or if he just had some bad plays in a relatively small sample size that stood out and made him seem worse than he would have proven to be in a bigger sample.  

• 2 months later...