Creed Willems 2022

Paul in Virginia

1 hour ago, justD said:

The triple from 5/15 was really poor video as far as showing him rounding the bases.  The triple from 5/18 was much better, tho I've got poor audio.  You get the idea tho. 

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He looked like he was running in sand! lol

I have him at about 13 seconds from contact to 3B.  Not as slow as this one:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33939315/happened-triples-pittsburgh-pirates-dh-daniel-vogelbach-hit-one-anyone-can?platform=amp

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I got a stopwatch out.  I have Willems at 12.69, Vogelbach at 13.33.   I think Vogelbach eased up a tad going into 3B though.  
I have Rutschman at 11.59 on his triple in his debut game.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hit his 2nd HR of the season last night. The OPS is slowly rising after his terrible start, .513 now. 

At the end of the season, he'll have a better resume than Connor Pavalony did last year and Pavalony got promoted to High A to start this year.  Granted, Pavalony was a college guy but it would be awesome if Willems did enough to start next year in A+ as a 19 year old.  

• Upvote 2

I think you can access this article for free:  https://jonmeoli.substack.com/p/orioles-prospect-creed-willems-gives?s=r

Fun read on Creed.   One thing it mentions is that he started wearing glasses after about two weeks at Delmarva.   
“First two weeks, I didn’t wear them when I got up here and I was kind of struggling seeing a little bit,” Willems told me this week. “I said, ‘I’m going to try and wear them and see how it goes.’ The first night I wore them, I hit a couple balls hard and had some really good at-bats, and I said, ‘You know what? I’m going to keep wearing them.’ Ever since I started wearing them, I feel like it’s a little easier to see the ball, easier to pick up spin. …  They’ve definitely helped the hitting come along a little bit — better swing decisions and all that stuff.”

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think you can access this article for free:  https://jonmeoli.substack.com/p/orioles-prospect-creed-willems-gives?s=r

Fun read on Creed.   One thing it mentions is that he started wearing glasses after about two weeks at Delmarva.   
“First two weeks, I didn’t wear them when I got up here and I was kind of struggling seeing a little bit,” Willems told me this week. “I said, ‘I’m going to try and wear them and see how it goes.’ The first night I wore them, I hit a couple balls hard and had some really good at-bats, and I said, ‘You know what? I’m going to keep wearing them.’ Ever since I started wearing them, I feel like it’s a little easier to see the ball, easier to pick up spin. …  They’ve definitely helped the hitting come along a little bit — better swing decisions and all that stuff.”

I read this and found it somewhat strange. The Orioles give off a front that they're so obsessive about medicals and making sure everyone is healthy and all that and no one thought to look at Creed swinging around in circles and think to say, "Hey, put your glasses on". I mean that's like a traditional third-grade taunt at little league games. I've worn glasses/contacts all my life, I'm not blind without them but I sure as heck use them for anything beyond just going out to get the mail. It just seemed bizarre to me that a few weeks in, it suddenly occurred to him (and apparently not someone in the organization), that maybe being able to see might help hit the spinning round ball with the round bat. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CharmCityHokie said:

I read this and found it somewhat strange. The Orioles give off a front that they're so obsessive about medicals and making sure everyone is healthy and all that and no one thought to look at Creed swinging around in circles and think to say, "Hey, put your glasses on". I mean that's like a traditional third-grade taunt at little league games. I've worn glasses/contacts all my life, I'm not blind without them but I sure as heck use them for anything beyond just going out to get the mail. It just seemed bizarre to me that a few weeks in, it suddenly occurred to him (and apparently not someone in the organization), that maybe being able to see might help hit the spinning round ball with the round bat. 

I would think that every spring training would involve each player making a trip to an optometrist for a yearly examination.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I think he's had glasses for a while, but never worn them playing baseball. I have wondered about Cowser needing an eye exam though 

• Upvote 1