The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Gammons just on SVP show on ESPNradio didn't mention the Orioles for Tex. Said he thought it would wrap up in next 24 hours and none of the teams know what is going on, giving credit to Boras. SVP said he felt that Tex would be better off going to a place where he wouldn't need to be the guy, citing Bmore and Washington as places where pressure would be placed on him.

I am not complaining or whining about the coverage. Just paraphrasing what I heard.

I gotta say that the pressure idea is bogus. IMHO, Tex would feel no pressure here because at the moment, unfortunately, we are not a winning club. If he landed in one of the big money markets clubs, he would enter the stadium and the fans would expect him to perform for his money. While we want him to perform, we offer him a more relaxed setting in which he can go about his business, get his paycheck, and then feel pressure along with the entire team in a year or two when we really make a stomp on the East.

I would love for this to be done within 24hours, though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pressure because of being "the guy"? Wasn't he "the guy" in Texas? I think he can handle pressure fine.

Yeah, like he would be better off as a part of a team which had a bunch of other stars and big money contracts as opposed to being the only big money guy on the O's or the Nats.

Gotta love Gammons' logic...saying he wants to go to a place where he's not the star and less pressure. Anywhere he goes, he's the highest paid player on that team and will have the biggest expectations of any player on that team. At least in Baltimore we don't expect him to win the WS next year.

Gammons didn't say this, SVP did. I agree that no one knowing what is going on is good news for us.

I do not understand this.

The Os wanted a seat at the table and presented a quality bid.

There is nothing wrong with swooping in at the end and winning the bidding with the next bid. There is also nothing wrong with deciding the bidding has gone too high and leaving the table without putting in another bid.

By some accounts, the Orioles initial seven-year bid was counting on a "home team discount." An opening bid that leaves them 4th at a table of four, isn't a quality bid if left to stand.

The cynic will say it's what the Orioles do almost every time. They put in a token bid for appearance's sake, but not close the deal, later citing the insanity of the economics involved. I don't think the first bid, relative to the others, is quality, IMO.

MacPhail said the team was flexible to change their offer, it's how the negotiation game is played. Taking MacPhail at face value, we've made the one bid, and we're waiting to see if Boras still wants to play ball with us.

"If they came back to us and told us what it would take and we thought that it made sense for us, then, yes" the original offer could be altered, MacPhail said.

If this time, they increase their bid, (that is, if they already haven't), then it's not so bad. I've stated before if they put out a nine or ten year deal, then win or lose, I give them credit for making a sincere effort.

Wow, yesterday this board was lighting up with posts; I got in on page 2 at around 7am and by the time I went home at 1 we were at page 50 something.... today all I hear is crickets....

I mean what is there to talk about, that hasn't been already covered in any of the 5 threads? This whole topic has been :deadhorse:

Now were hoping for some :awesome: news.

Gammons just on SVP show on ESPNradio didn't mention the Orioles for Tex. Said he thought it would wrap up in next 24 hours and none of the teams know what is going on, giving credit to Boras. SVP said he felt that Tex would be better off going to a place where he wouldn't need to be the guy, citing Bmore and Washington as places where pressure would be placed on him.

I am not complaining or whining about the coverage. Just paraphrasing what I heard.

With names like Roberts, Markakis, Jones, Wieters and even Scott and I don't see him as being the guy. I see him the piece that fits nicely in the middle of them.

SVP said he felt that Tex would be better off going to a place where he wouldn't need to be the guy, citing Bmore and Washington as places where pressure would be placed on him.

Tex had his best numbers in Texas when he WAS the guy. His numbers in Atlanta and LA were a little bit of a decline.

Becoming a sports agent is truly the least noble thing you can do with a law degree...and that's saying something.

That's like saying washing dishes at McDonald's is one of the least skilled jobs in the fast food industry.

j/k, Taunting the layers on the board. ;)

24 hours? He said that two days ago. I guess everyday he's going to throw out the 24 hours timeline knowing he'll eventually be right.:rolleyes:

Archived