The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Looking back on this whole Tex thing, the Orioles have put themselves in this position interestingly enough by the refusal to find a 1B solution since Palmeiro left the first time.

Every time they have had the chance they have whiffed, including most recently when they could have had the next Teixeira in Justin Smoak. Instead they chose to select Brian Matusz.

Now Matusz is going to be good, but considering the Orioles could have signed AJ Burnett for 80 million and have drafted Smoak, is that better than paying 200+ million for Tex and having Brian Matusz?

It really looks more and more like a bad decision to pass on Smoak in the draft, and that's where we are today, praying Tex will let us pay him 200+ million dollars when we could have filled those two spots for 80 plus what ever we would have paid Smoak.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take it as a sign that you need to get some new music on your MP3 player.

You have angered the Journey gods! :D

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4057804">Journey - Separate Ways</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=4057804,t=1,mt=video,searchID=e8325c73-a3f8-4962-ba1d-d80ba2792224,primarycolor=,secondarycolor="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=4057804,t=1,mt=video,searchID=e8325c73-a3f8-4962-ba1d-d80ba2792224,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"/></object>

I just hope that this is not a more appropriate song for the current proceedings. With, of course, Steve Perry playing the part of Peter Angelos and "he" in the song being John Henry and the Red Sox.

How can you rank the Yankees who have not even made an offer ahead of the Orioles? The Angels are playing on the wrong coast, but they rank before us too. Ridiculous, if you want to put us at #3 behind Boston and Washington I am fine with that, but do not put us last. If he believes our last offer will be 7/150 then he is bound to be mistaken.

I'd take those odds in Vegas. He has the Yankees at 6-1 odds. Hmm. More interesting is he thinks that New York is the closest team to the Baltimore/Washington area this is not Washington or Baltimore. A little geographically challenged he is. But I nitpick.

Looking back on this whole Tex thing, the Orioles have put themselves in this position interestingly enough by the refusal to find a 1B solution since Palmeiro left the first time.

Every time they have had the chance they have whiffed, including most recently when they could have had the next Teixeira in Justin Smoak. Instead they chose to select Brian Matusz.

Now Matusz is going to be good, but considering the Orioles could have signed AJ Burnett for 80 million and have drafted Smoak, is that better than paying 200+ million for Tex and having Brian Matusz?

It really looks more and more like a bad decision to pass on Smoak in the draft, and that's where we are today, praying Tex will let us pay him 200+ million dollars when we could have filled those two spots for 80 plus what ever we would have paid Smoak.

Smoak isn't a guarantee, and that being said, neither is Matusz by ANY means, but I would rather have a very solid young Lefty to go along with Tex than an $80M injury-prone righty who is really only good in walk years

Archived