Felix Bautista 2022

Aristotelian

Bautista threw 11 pitches last night.  9 for strikes and he missed SEVEN bats! The other relievers combined to miss 6 bats.

His swingstr% is high and it’s above average but his K rate is surprisingly not as good as you might think.  It’s still good but it really needs to be 11+ to develop into a dominant reliever.

Since he is missing bats, that should help but despite an ok BB rate, his Str% is 1.5% below average.  If he can just throw more strikes and keep missing bats, the Os may have a real dominant reliever on their hands.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bautista threw 11 pitches last night.  9 for strikes and he missed SEVEN bats! The other relievers combined to miss 6 bats.

His swingstr% is high and it’s above average but his K rate is surprisingly not as good as you might think.  It’s still good but it really needs to be 11+ to really develop into a dominant reliever.

Since he is missing bats, that should help but he despite an ok BB rate, his Str% is 1.5% below average.  If he can just throw more strikes and keep missing bats, the Os may have a real dominant reliever on their hands.

Hopefully the long time closer if/when Lopez is traded next month. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bautista came into a tough situation yesterday, runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out, two run lead.  He got two K’s sandwiching a sac fly.   Really strong outing, I thought. 

Personally, I feel he’s the best of all our relievers.  I trust him far more than Tate, and even before the last two games I would have said I trust him more than Lopez too.  I’m fine leaving him in the role he’s in now, but really would like to see him used in the tight spots more than Tate.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bautista came into a tough situation yesterday, runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out, two run lead.  He got two K’s sandwiching a sac fly.   Really strong outing, I thought. 

Personally, I feel he’s the best of all our relievers.  I trust him far more than Tate, and even before the last two games I would have said I trust him more than Lopez too.  I’m fine leaving him in the role he’s in now, but really would like to see him used in the tight spots more than Tate.  

Bautista looks like the future closer if Lopez can't be. 101 mph

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The interesting thing to me is that he has some idea where his pitches are going, and he throws downhill.  He’s intimidating up there.  The splitter is nasty.   Combine that with 99-101 fastball and it’s a great combo.  

I agree Bautista is the best P in the pen.  Just on intimidation alone hitting off of a 6’8” massive human throwing over 100mph is in your head before stepping into the box.   It looks like they are grooming him to close next year.  I imagine they want to trade Lopez and Tate and rebuild the pen with this year’s failed starters, waiver claims and a rule 5 pick up.  

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I agree Bautista is the best P in the pen.  Just on intimidation alone hitting of a 6’8” massive human throwing over 100mph is in your head before stepping into the box.   It looks like they are grooming him to close next year.  I imagine they want to trade Lopez and Tate and rebuild the pen with this years failed starters, waiver claims and a rule 5 pick up.  

Don't know why they would do that if Lopez and Tate's ERAs are under 2.50.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Don't know why they would do that if Lopez and Tate's ERAs are under 2.50.

Sell high.  BP pieces are replaceable  & highly volatile.  6’8” 260 lb pitchers that throw 101 don’t grow on trees - so I’d like to see them keep him.  Seems to me he’s most likely of the three to have sustained future success.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

It just makes more sense to have Bautista as the 9th inning guy, and use Lopez more than 1 inning when necessary, since he’s more accustomed to being stretched out. 

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Lopez didn’t pitch, Tate did.

Yep...I said Lopez in the original response but was thinking Tate. I think Lopez will be ok... Tate I think will regress a bit more. Both of them would be traded if a deal made sense.

Looking at the roster on the Orioles' website, it lists Bautista as being 6'5" and 190 pounds.  Brian Baker is listed as 6'6" and 245.

Cannot imagine that Baker is 55 pounds heavier than Bautista.  Wonder when those weight readings were taken.