O's were contenders!!

wildcard

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Do you think they didn’t bring him up because they’re tanking?

Nope.

I think they are looking to avoid Super 2.

I think they have a projected date and it's early enough that they are going to take advantage of the injury and try and avoid it.  While killing his chance at ROY.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

He has never been a GM before, our ownership may be changing to boot. Not sure how you know his thought process so well. Regardless, he’s had zero history of turning a perennial loser into a winner. If you don’t think that’s hard, I offer Buck as a example of one of the greats in doing just that. What track record does Elias have? 

He was part of the management team that turned around the Astros.   He has been through it before.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are the O's still contenders?   I don't know yet.

What we have seen is that when everyone is healthy they can beat the Red Sox. Twins and Cards.  For a team that has been considered a last place team that is showing a lot.

However with Hays, Mountcastle and Mateo not in the lineup the offense is poor.  The team is too dependent on those guys because the backups appear to not be able to fill in adequately.  The O's got within three games of the last wildcard when everyone was healthy.   That was unexpected.

How they do the rest of the year will depend on how long these important players stay on the IL and how far they fall out of contention in the mean time. 

Players like Adley, Grayson, DL, Stowers, Vespi and maybe later Gunnar could help the team a lot.   But that is yet to be seen.   The talent that is with the O's combined with what is coming this year could be a substantial competitor.

We will just have to wait to see how it turns out.

I can do this for the Tigers as well. No Reyes,Greene for most of the year and now their best hitter to date Meadows is on the IL with vertigo. They have now lost 4 out of five of their projected  starting rotation. They have had more injuries then the Orioles. Of the projected Orioles nine ,only one  is on the IL. Perhaps they should have put Hays on but no depth. Not sure is Mateo also day to day?

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Totally expecting to see the same, hilariously awful lineup in all four games against the Yankees.  BeCaUsE iTs jUsT nOt TiMe yEt fOr AdLeY.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s just a terribly constructed 40 man roster, with a lack of depth in AAA. 3B is a train wreck. If Mountcastle and Hays were going to be out then McKenna and Diaz should’ve been up ASAP. AR should be up too. 

It’s obvious that Elias does not care about winning at the MLB level this year. So next year he’s just going to flip a switch and be DD with roster management moves?  

You two aren't posting this if we win the series against the Tigers.   

I'm sure we'd be treated to more posts about how Mateo is a future piece or something. 

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias is not tanking.   He is sticking to the plan.  He is not going to trade prospects to acquire veterans to help the current team.  Not this year.  He is going to promote prospects as they show they are ready.  There could be a big jump forward in the wins or it could just be a learning season getting ready for next year.

But saying he is tanking is wrong IMO.  And saying he does not care about winning is also wrong IMO.  He just sees winning happening as the prospects are combined with the good players the O's already have in the majors.

He doesn't care about winning in 2022. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope.

I think they are looking to avoid Super 2.

I think they have a projected date and it's early enough that they are going to take advantage of the injury and try and avoid it.  While killing his chance at ROY.

Of course it's all about Super 2. 

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He was part of the management team that turned around the Astros.   He has been through it before.

The Astros payroll went from 18 to 11 to 8 to fourth.They got some very high priced pitchers like Verlander  Elias has already said the Orioles will not be big free agent spenders and are a small market team with the Nationals real  close.

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Part of….

To be clear, you are absolutely right about this.   Elias did a good job as Scouting Director for the Astros.   That doesn’t mean he’ll be (or is) a good GM.    I’m willing to give him another 2 years (the rest of this one, and next year) before I have a firm opinion on the topic. He certainly hasn’t proven anything at this point.  

Just now, Frobby said:

To be clear, you are absolutely right about this.   Elias did a good job as Scouting Director for the Astros.   That doesn’t mean he’ll be (or is) a good GM.    I’m willing to give him another 2 years (the rest of this one, and next year) before I have a firm opinion on the topic. He certainly hasn’t proven anything at this point.  

Thank you. Agree completely.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

The Astros payroll went from 18 to 11 to 8 to fourth.They got some very high priced pitchers like Verlander  Elias has already said the Orioles will not be big free agent spenders and are a small market team with the Nationals real  close.

Yes, OK.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

You two aren't posting this if we win the series against the Tigers.   

I'm sure we'd be treated to more posts about how Mateo is a future piece or something. 

He doesn't care about winning in 2022. 

Of course it's all about Super 2. 

What are you talking about?  Even if they won, the lineup is still terrible.  And even if they won, I would still be annoyed at them potentially (probably) not recalling Adley