O's were contenders!!

wildcard

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Go ahead and tell it.

I feel like I shouldn't have to.  I mean, he was the Director of Amatuer scouting.  You know that.  I know that, everyone else knows that.

He arrived in Baltimore as a guy who could fix some things, namely scouting and bringing this franchise into the 21st century from an analytics perspective.  Those were two areas this team was sorely lacking and I've gotta give him credit, he's done a great job with the international scouting, signing and the facility in the Dominican.  The analytics aspect is harder to quantify but maybe, just maybe, you're seeing it play out this year for guys like Akin, Zimmermann and Lopez.  Does Mullins go 30-30 last year with different leadership?  Gotta wonder.

But saying that Elias didn't arrive here as a fully formed GM would be an accurate statement.  While I know you're sensitive to criticism of certain players and people, that's not a slam against him, it's simply the truth.  He'd never pulled the trigger on a trade before.  He never was in a situation as the lead decision maker for an MLB franchise.  Sure, he was balls deep in a great situation in Houston and probably learned a lot but that doesn't mean he came here with a lot of experience running the whole enchilada.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:00 AM, wildcard said:

I know, I know.  You are going to say there he goes again but  ............ Look at the facts.

O's are 7-4 in May,  3 games behind the Blue Jays for the last Wild Card spot.

The O's play  three with the Tigers this weekend who are  2-10 in May. 

The Blue Jays are 3-7 in May.  They play the Rays who are  7-4 in May and they are playing in Tampa.

Conclusion:  The O's are 3 back in the Wild Card Race.   O's are playing a weaker team.  Blue  Jays are playing a team that is playing better than them at the moment.   O's have a decent chance to pick up ground this weekend.

O's are surging without Adley, Grayson, DL and Gunnar.   Just think about when those guys are added.

You suck.  😁

Can we ban threads like this before playing a "bad" team.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel like I shouldn't have to.  I mean, he was the Director of Amatuer scouting.  You know that.  I know that, everyone else knows that.

He arrived in Baltimore as a guy who could fix some things, namely scouting and bringing this franchise into the 21st century from an analytics perspective.  Those were two areas this team was sorely lacking and I've gotta give him credit, he's done a great job with the international scouting, signing and the facility in the Dominican.  The analytics aspect is harder to quantify but maybe, just maybe, you're seeing it play out this year for guys like Akin, Zimmermann and Lopez.  Does Mullins go 30-30 last year with different leadership?  Gotta wonder.

But saying that Elias didn't arrive here as a fully formed GM would be an accurate statement.  While I know you're sensitive to criticism of certain players and people, that's not a slam against him, it's simply the truth.  He'd never pulled the trigger on a trade before.  He never was in a situation as the lead decision maker for an MLB franchise.  Sure, he was balls deep in a great situation in Houston and probably learned a lot but that doesn't mean he came here with a lot of experience running the whole enchilada.

The expanded  version of what I said.  He was part of the management team that turned  around the Astros.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Elias is not tanking.   He is sticking to the plan.  He is not going to trade prospects to acquire veterans to help the current team.  Not this year.  He is going to promote prospects as they show they are ready.  There could be a big jump forward in the wins or it could just be a learning season getting ready for next year.

But saying he is tanking is wrong IMO.  And saying he does not care about winning is also wrong IMO.  He just sees winning happening as the prospects are combined with the good players the O's already have in the majors.

You can use whatever wording makes you feel better but winning isn’t his priority in 2022.

You are supposed to want to win in pro sports.  That supposed to be the goal. That’s not his goal.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You can use whatever wording makes you feel better but winning isn’t his priority in 2022.

You are supposed to want to win in pro sports.  That supposed to be the goal. That’s not his goal.

The injuries were terrible this weekend. 2B and 3B are a black hole. C is what it is until AR comes up. That’s 1/3 of your lineup. Hays, Mountcastle, Urias, and Mateo, are all a little hurt. Diaz is hurt in AAA.  Not much maneuvering he could do now. The time for maneuvering was this offseason to add a vet or two for AAA. We’re too afraid to cut bait on guys like Grenier, Martin, Bannon, and DJ Stewart. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The injuries were terrible this weekend. 2B and 3B are a black hole. C is what it is until AR comes up. That’s 1/3 of your lineup. Hays, Mountcastle, Urias, and Mateo, are all a little hurt. Diaz is hurt in AAA.  Not much maneuvering he could do now. The time for maneuvering was this offseason to add a vet or two for AAA. We’re too afraid to cut bait on guys like Grenier, Martin, Bannon, and DJ Stewart. 

This weekend has nothing to do with anything though.  Sure, they were short handed but that happens.  It’s why depth is important.  Elias just isn’t concerned about that right now.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:00 AM, wildcard said:

I know, I know.  You are going to say there he goes again but  ............ Look at the facts.

O's are 7-4 in May,  3 games behind the Blue Jays for the last Wild Card spot.

The O's play  three with the Tigers this weekend who are  2-10 in May. 

The Blue Jays are 3-7 in May.  They play the Rays who are  7-4 in May and they are playing in Tampa.

Conclusion:  The O's are 3 back in the Wild Card Race.   O's are playing a weaker team.  Blue  Jays are playing a team that is playing better than them at the moment.   O's have a decent chance to pick up ground this weekend.

O's are surging without Adley, Grayson, DL and Gunnar.   Just think about when those guys are added.

Talk about a jinx

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This weekend has nothing to do with anything though.  Sure, they were short handed but that happens.  It’s why depth is important.  Elias just isn’t concerned about that right now.

If we wait about 10 days to call up AR and GR, they could be very well the #1 and #2 prospects in baseball because the others in front of them are about to lose prospect eligibility. I think Elias cares more about that then he does finding us some sort of 3B option. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

His goal is to produce a consistent winner in the long term.   His short term goal is to do what he thinks is necessary to achieve his long term goal.   As a fan, I just want him to achieve that long term goal.  If he does, I will feel it was worth it.  It he doesn’t, I’ll be very unhappy.   It’s about that simple for me.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

His goal is to produce a consistent winner in the long term.   His short term goal is to do what he thinks is necessary to achieve his long term goal.   As a fan, I just want him to achieve that long term goal.  If he does, I will feel it was worth it.  It he doesn’t, I’ll be very unhappy.   It’s about that simple for me.

You don’t need one to do the other.  That’s the issue I have.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't disagree with your post.  But with respect to AR, there is really no justifiable excuse for him not starting tonight at catcher for the Orioles against the Yankees. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we wait about 10 days to call up AR and GR, they could be very well the #1 and #2 prospects in baseball because the others in front of them are about to lose prospect eligibility. I think Elias cares more about that then he does finding us some sort of 3B option. 

Those mouthwatering midseason lists should give MASN a lot of graphics fodder.    Tork, Witt and Julio nearing their 130 at-bats, Baz is down with elbow surgery, Greene broke his foot, Abrams at 10-for-55 has lightly Kelenic'd, Gunnar outplaying Volpe.   We need DL Hall to get hot, and the list to be made right after a Druw Jones selection.    Keep Adley under his 130 at-bats at the All-Star break and post draft you might get a window like:

1-Adley, 2-Rodriguez, 15-Hall, 20-Jones, 25-Henderson

Can Kjerstad go all Yordan on Delmarva in June?