O's were contenders!!

wildcard

Technically we are "contenders" by definition if you define it as being within a few games of the final playoff spot. That said, it's May 13, not August 13. Over the course of a full season, we are on pace for 71 wins (something I would definitely take), but the Jays are on pace for 86. So, are we contenders at this very moment? Sure. Are we legitimate contenders? No. 

Still, we are a better team then I thought and the additions of Adley, Grayson and Hall (I strongly doubt we see Henderson until next year unfortunately unless we legitimately are just a couple games back in August), we may be able to play at a slightly better clip the rest of the year and end up in the 73-75 range in wins which would be absolutely HUGE. That, of course, is the most optimistic as I'm willing to go.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The question is at what point does Elias make a trade of any kind to supplement the team?  

Who knows. But if you listen to his interview with the On The Verge podcast, he really perked up when asked this very question. It was evident he's excited to get to this phase of the rebuild and start slinging some guys. He acknowledged they've focused on position players in the draft, mentioned the possibility of trading for pitching, etc. It was a short interview and of course they didn't ask him very tough questions, but I thought it was relatively enlightening and he comes across as fairly genuine. Elias is a pretty straight shooter as far as GMs go, certainly moreso than Duquette ever was. But because a lot of fans are negative on him, they don't really bother to seek out these types of opportunities to hear him speak about the rebuild. But there's interesting nuggets there if you look. They've done an incredible amount of work behind the scenes of this organization. 

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I think he is in San Francisco's organization. Wouldn't the Giants want to take a look at him at third since Longoria is hurt alot and his contract is finally due to expire?

Yeah, he is with SF. SF has been playing Wilmer Flores at 3B this season. Longoria has barely played. They’re a vet team. Maybe we could buy and sell. Fry for David Villar. 

Too bad we're not doing as well as last year.

Last year after 32 games we were 15-17 (1 game better than this year).   And the second  and final wild card spot belonged to Seattle at 18-15.   So we were 2.5 games back of them, just 2 in the loss column, so we were bit closer to the playoffs then than we are today.

But I still have hope that we can eventually surpass last year's team.   We just aren't doing it as of yet.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I know, I know.  You are going to say there he goes again but  ............ Look at the facts.

O's are 7-4 in May,  3 games behind the Blue Jays for the last Wild Card spot.

The O's play  three with the Tigers this weekend who are  2-10 in May. 

The Blue Jays are 3-7 in May.  They play the Rays who are  7-4 in May and they are playing in Tampa.

Conclusion:  The O's are 3 back in the Wild Card Race.   O's are playing a weaker team.  Blue  Jays are playing a team that is playing better than them at the moment.   O's have a decent chance to pick up ground this weekend.

O's are surging without Adley, Grayson, DL and Gunnar.   Just think about when those guys are added.

I don't know that we are contenders, but I am definitely having a ball watching and rooting for this team.  As I have said before, I am getting 2012 "Why Not" type vibes for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SteveA said:

Too bad we're not doing as well as last year.

Last year after 32 games we were 15-17 (1 game better than this year).   And the second  and final wild card spot belonged to Seattle at 18-15.   So we were 2.5 games back of them, just 2 in the loss column, so we were bit closer to the playoffs then than we are today.

But I still have hope that we can eventually surpass last year's team.   We just aren't doing it as of yet.

Thank you for that info.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I know, I know.  You are going to say there he goes again but  ............ Look at the facts.

O's are 7-4 in May,  3 games behind the Blue Jays for the last Wild Card spot.

The O's play  three with the Tigers this weekend who are  2-10 in May. 

The Blue Jays are 3-7 in May.  They play the Rays who are  7-4 in May and they are playing in Tampa.

Conclusion:  The O's are 3 back in the Wild Card Race.   O's are playing a weaker team.  Blue  Jays are playing a team that is playing better than them at the moment.   O's have a decent chance to pick up ground this weekend.

O's are surging without Adley, Grayson, DL and Gunnar.   Just think about when those guys are added.

In the words of a once-catchy Orioles PR campaign....  Why Not?

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's have a guy.  Shed Long if he can get healthy.  Who knows what he might be.

C'mon WC. You really think Shed Long is an answer to anything other than to the question "Who was the random hurt middle infielder Elias signed in the 2021/22 offseason?"

The guy has slashed .184/.250/.325/.575 the last two years.    

If we could just somehow get production from 3B and 2B I think we are alot closer than people think to .500. Im not a believer in Odor though and Urias is not off to a good start. 

Elias did a disservice to this team not trying to strengthen the infield in the offseason. Because pretty much all the other pieces are here. At least they will be when AR and GR arrive.   

Just now, jabba72 said:

If we could just somehow get production from 3B and 2B I think we are alot closer than people think to .500. Im not a believer in Odor though and Urias is not off to a good start. 

Elias did a disservice to this team not trying to strengthen the infield in the offseason. Because pretty much all the other pieces are here. At least they will be when AR and GR arrive.   

Agreed and agreed.

13 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We keep talking about when Adley and co arrive but they very well could look bad through an adjustment period. I am glad for where we are but let's not get too excited yet. 

True. There are exceptions -- guys who are successful in the big leagues almost from the moment they arrive. And if you define short-term success in Adley's case as providing improved offense and equivalent defense to what the Orioles have now, he might get there very pretty quickly. 

But my own interest in seeing the Orioles top prospects promoted sooner rather than later has little to do with the hope that they'll provide rapid improvement to the Orioles. It's driven primarily by a desire to see that adjustment-to the-major-leagues period, however long it's going to be, get started , and also to see the time period, again whatever it's going to be, that the Orioles will take to see which prospects are equal to the challenges of hitting major league pitching, catching and throwing major league hitting, and pitching to major league hitters. Those are necessary steps in building a winning team from within. The sooner those steps are taken the better.

For me, the primary distinction between last year and this year is the state of the pitching, which is an interesting thing to say given that we lost our #1 starter this year. At the moment, our rotation looks passable, which should save our bullpen from imploding early from overuse. I’m not ready to tease myself, but if they manage to play .500 ball this month and then AR/GR/DH arrive……

You know on paper Tigers fans this week must have felt like this OAK-BAL homestand was their Get Well moment, but OAK started it taking four out of five.    Hinch has some bones to earn in the coming weeks.

Yesterday's win feels just about miraculous given the manpower shortage.    Be nice if Lyles can repeat, and Jorge back as hoped according to Hyde in postgame presser.