Mike Elias On the Verge

wildcard

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mike Elias is on the verge… of making a move, getting a raise, gauging interest for a sell off, laughing in our faces?  What’s he on the verge of?

That’s the name of the podcast.   

I listened to it over the weekend and wildcard’s synopsis is very good.   I thought his second answer listed in the OP was the strongest statement I’ve heard from Elias that we will start shifting into spend mode next offseason.  

One comment he made about this year’s draft that wildcard didn’t mention was “this is a very good year to have the no. 1 pick.”   He feels we have some really great options at the top.   Didn’t tip his hand as to who.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The team makes plenty of money.  Even if you want to argue that operating business expenses are all under one umbrella, which I don’t think they have ever done before and I question whether other teams do, they still have spent that money in the past.

The new money is more in the analytics, scouting, tech and international side of things..that’s not $100+M.  That’s the “cheap stuff”.

The Orioles are simply not spending more because ownership doesn’t want to.  They can dress it up, put a fancy rebuilding title on it and sell the fans on the overall plan but the bottom line is that ownership is choosing to be cheap with the ML product.

Maybe but, remember, if they spent on the major league product and got to 75-80 wins or whatever three years ago they wouldn't have Rutchsman. They wouldn't have a shot at the kid they're going to take number one overall in this upcoming draft. There is something to be said for sacrificing an insignificant number of wins today for a shot at the very best talent that can make a huge difference for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, vab said:

Maybe but, remember, if they spent on the major league product and got to 75-80 wins or whatever three years ago they wouldn't have Rutchsman. They wouldn't have a shot at the kid they're going to take number one overall in this upcoming draft. There is something to be said for sacrificing an insignificant number of wins today for a shot at the very best talent that can make a huge difference for years to come. 

Well, not really…winning is much more important depending on how you are doing it.

That said, I am much more concerned with this year and the tank strategy vs years past.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I listened to it over the weekend and wildcard’s synopsis is very good.   I thought his second answer listed in the OP was the strongest statement I’ve heard from Elias that we will start shifting into spend mode next offseason.  

One comment he made about this year’s draft that wildcard didn’t mention was “this is a very good year to have the no. 1 pick.”   He feels we have some really great options at the top.   Didn’t tip his hand as to who.  

I am looking forward to seeing @Sports Guy's meltdown when Elias goes with someone other than Jones.  This could be an all-timer!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just don’t see how we’re in a better position this offseason than we were last offseason. 2B and 3B are holes. I see us being in the same situation as we are right now. Fringe stop gaps with Gunnar and Westburg/Vavra/Prieto close. Stowers and Diaz should replace Mancini and Santander. 

I think we’re two years away from spending money of a FA because we don’t even know what we have yet. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I just don’t see how we’re in a better position this offseason than we were last offseason. 2B and 3B are holes. I see us being in the same situation as we are right now. Fringe stop gaps with Gunnar and Westburg/Vavra/Prieto close. Stowers and Diaz should replace Mancini and Santander. 

I think we’re two years away from spending money of a FA because we don’t even know what we have yet. 

C'mon, you're typically Mr. Optimism.

Granted, I'm inclined to agree with you but even though the offseason isn't terribly far away, there's still a lot that can happen between now and then.  I don't think Elias is the type to wheel and deal at the deadline and make significant moves, but you never know.

Gunnar could be in Baltimore next year if he keeps this up.  2B and 3B are holes but AR is going to be up soon and hopefully G-Rod, too.  Elias has to spend and get quality players on the roster around these guys, there's no other option.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

C'mon, you're typically Mr. Optimism.

Granted, I'm inclined to agree with you but even though the offseason isn't terribly far away, there's still a lot that can happen between now and then.  I don't think Elias is the type to wheel and deal at the deadline and make significant moves, but you never know.

Gunnar could be in Baltimore next year if he keeps this up.  2B and 3B are holes but AR is going to be up soon and hopefully G-Rod, too.  Elias has to spend and get quality players on the roster around these guys, there's no other option.

I’m optimistic about certain players. The Kjerstad and Cowser selections are really hurting right now. The grow the bats and buy the pitching theory sounds great, but what if there is no pitching available when you go to buy?  The Means injury really hurt too. 

We’re probably in the same boat with Gunnar this year next time. 

We shouldn’t expect much in return for Santander and Mancini at the deadline. With the annual “40 man crunch” coming, I am expecting players that will not be helpful in the next 1-2 years, maybe not at all. 

Elias should’ve really cleared some of the dead weight of the roster in the offseason and tried to entice better stop gaps for 3B with playing time. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m optimistic about certain players. The Kjerstad and Cowser selections are really hurting right now. The grow the bats and buy the pitching theory sounds great, but what if there is no pitching available when you go to buy?  The Means injury really hurt too. 

We’re probably in the same boat with Gunnar this year next time. 

We shouldn’t expect much in return for Santander and Mancini at the deadline. With the annual “40 man crunch” coming, I am expecting players that will not be helpful in the next 1-2 years, maybe not at all. 

Elias should’ve really cleared some of the dead weight of the roster in the offseason and tried to entice better stop gaps for 3B with playing time. 

I've never really fully embraced the "buy the pitching" philosophy.  Simply because it's usually ****ing expensive and while this team has spent money in the past it's never spent money like THAT.  Especially for pitching.

I agree with your stance on this past offseason.  

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've never really fully embraced the "buy the pitching" philosophy.  Simply because it's usually ****ing expensive and while this team has spent money in the past it's never spent money like THAT.  Especially for pitching.

I expect the pitching to be bought primarily with prospects through trades, not with money.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Astros also got really lucky that Verlander went from looking done in Detroit to completely turning it around. Morton was a completely different pitcher too. How often is a guy like Gerritt Cole in his prime available?  

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I expect the pitching to be bought primarily with prospects through trades, not with money.

Should be bought with vets like Mullins  but I agree that the pitching comes through trades and lucky signings, like MGon or Chen.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It might be true but I would expect him to say that about the draft regardless.