Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

Maybe - just maybe - Bowden and the player development guys should have looked into his signability BEFORE the draft. You know, like every other team does? Are we supposed to be shocked that Aaron Crow was hard to sign? Everyone knew that going in. It was a national story. That's the reason he dropped. It was a calculated risk for the Nats, and apparently Crow had no intention of signing there. That's his prerogative and I dont think he really needs to go "fornicate himself with a sharp wooden stick" because of it. I still am of the opinion the blame lies with the Nats for either not doing their homework on the guy or taking a bad risk and then complaining about the consequences - sleazy tactics by Crow or his agents aside. Given the rest of your post is a long complaint about how cheap ownership is, its not exactly hard to see where Crow was coming from, frankly.

Besides, the Nats get a pick back for him this year...

hey, I wanted the Nats to pick Justin Smoak. *shrug*

the sleazy tactics by Crow's agents just irk me. hopefully we won't make the same mistake this year with the #9 pick.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All you need to do is compare attendance in the inaugural seasons of the Orioles and Nationals in their respective new stadia. The Orioles were a BAD team in 1992, and continued to be a predominantly losing team until 1997. Yet Orioles fans sold out Camden Yards for years, and had respectable attendance for about a decade.

The O's were 67-95 in their last season at Memorial Stadium in 91.

But then from 92-96, they had winning records every year except 95, when they went 71-73.

So I have no idea where you got that the O's were a loser up until 97?

Record and Placing from 92-96:

92: 89-73, 3rd in East, 7 GB

93: 85-77, 3rd in East, 10 GB

94: 63-49, 2nd in East, 6.5 GB

95: 71-73, 3rd in East, 15 GB

96: 88-74, 2nd in East, 4 GB - Won Wild Card

Not to mention, we had Cal then. He helped us draw well right up until his retirement in 01.

Even then, our attendance didn't take a big hit until 06. We were between 2.45 and 2.74 million between 02-05.

The O's were 67-95 in their last season at Memorial Stadium in 91.

But then from 92-96, they had winning records every year except 95, when they went 71-73.

So I have no idea where you got that the O's were a loser up until 97?

Record and Placing from 92-96:

92: 89-73, 3rd in East, 7 GB

93: 85-77, 3rd in East, 10 GB

94: 63-49, 2nd in East, 6.5 GB

95: 71-73, 3rd in East, 15 GB

96: 88-74, 2nd in East, 4 GB - Won Wild Card

Not to mention, we had Cal then. He helped us draw well right up until his retirement in 01.

Even then, our attendance didn't take a big hit until 06. We were between 2.45 and 2.74 million between 02-05.

You're right, I was wrong about that, had my dates mixed up a little bit. Meant to say 1996. We were a bad team in 1991.

hey, I wanted the Nats to pick Justin Smoak. *shrug*

the sleazy tactics by Crow's agents just irk me. hopefully we won't make the same mistake this year with the #9 pick.

Yeah... realistically, it was a bad situation, and both parties might have been able to avoid it... so plenty of blame to go around. I just could not understand what the Nats were doing at the time. The entire incident was mystifying. I was shocked they took him, and not surprised it all everything went sour after that...

The Yankees are NOT the team(s) that outbid Boston for Tex, Angels the favorite??:

The Red Sox say they got outbid for free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Though Boston didn't talk about which teams offered more for the switch-hitting Teixeira, it wasn't the Yankees New York Yankees .

"Not us," GM Brian Cashman told The Post late last night.

The Angels, Nationals and Orioles were in on Teixeira, a Maryland resident who played for the Braves and Angels last season.

Of those three teams, the Angels were the favorite to be the one that topped the Red Sox offer.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192008/sports/yankees/teixeira_too_rich_for_sawx_144915.htm

What a twist!

Of course, Bigbird indicated last night that the team has "moved on to pitching." It's entirely possible that we're out at this point, too. Unless the assumption had been that the Red Sox were a shoo-in to sign him.

I am completely confident that Tex will be signing with a team other than the O's. I'd still rank the top two teams the Sox, and the Angels. Despite the posturing from Henry, I have no doubt the Sox are still in this. Sending out a blanket email like that, saying we are out of it reeks of deceit. I smell a rat.

I am completely confident that Tex will be signing with a team other than the O's. I'd still rank the top two teams the Sox, and the Angels. Despite the posturing from Henry, I have no doubt the Sox are still in this. Sending out a blanket email like that, saying we are out of it reeks of deceit. I smell a rat.

Fixed that for you. :)

Boras saying Tex is looking to eliminate teams I think means that the he had offers (probably from the Nats and Angels) that were higher then Boston. Tex wanted to be in Boston if offers were all equal from those 3 teams. He brought them out to finish the deal and said what the highest offer was. He may have fluffed that number a bit, but told the sox to match it and he was their's. They probably called Boras bluff with the fluffed offer, offered a counter offer that was higher than the original but a bit lower than Boras quoted.

Boras say's, nope, that's not enough. He's either taking a chance with bluffing one more time or Tex really is for sale to the highest bidder and it's not them.

Boston owner email's we're out, so Boras see's they're serious about the final offer and won't go higher.

Boras then gives Tex all the final offers and tells him to sleep on it. Maybe one more round of "final" offers.

Sound's like the O's gave another offer last weekend....

Maybe that's the one that's on the table from us. He also probably has some monster money/year offers from other teams, Angels and Nats, and fairly equal offers from Baltimore and Boston, maybe Boston is a bit higher.

Lot's of factors, but he probably has his choices in front of him. Each is different and has different positives and negatives.

We still probably have a small chance, but... c'mon TEX! Go Birds

I am completely confident that Tex will be signing with a team other than the O's. I'd still rank the top two teams the Sox, and the Angels. Despite the posturing from Henry, I have no doubt the Sox are still in this. Sending out a blanket email like that, saying we are out of it wreaks of deceit. I smell a rat.

The Red Sox have made it a point in recent years to not negotiate in the media.

If they are still in it, its going to be a situation where Boras played hardball and they called his bluff.

The Red Sox have made it a point in recent years to not negotiate in the media.

If they are still in it, its going to be a situation where Boras played hardball and they called his bluff.

This time though, maybe Boras wasn't bluffing.

I think it's definitely good for the Orioles if the Angels have the top offer. I think it would have to be substantially more for him to give up playing on the East Coast. I hope that's it's not so much more that the Orioles can't up their final offer just a little more, take advantage of his preference to play on the East Coast/home town team angle, and land him.

I think it's definitely good for the Orioles if the Angels have the top offer. I think it would have to be substantially more for him to give up playing on the East Coast. I hope that's it's not so much more that the Orioles can't up their final offer just a little more, take advantage of his preference to play on the East Coast/home town team angle, and land him.

I have to agree. While I would much rather Tex be an Oriole, if I have to lose out on the guy, it may as well be to the Halos.

It would be a wee bit brutal to see him in pinstripes or with the Bosox a bunch of times a year. Not quite as bad as losing him to the Nats either. It isn't like Baltimore and Washington need more ammo to be agitated with each other these days.

He should have been a Bird, but California is a slightly less painful path to take, at least for me.

-Don

Archived