Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

More than a little scary, that would be on the top 5 worst throws all time for Pudge, or Bench, or even Matt Wieters. Not only did it not have anything on it, but it was 10 feet off line.  Hopefully a "fluke" but I find it hard to imagine that he has a plus arm after that.

Dude, you're pretty weird.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

More than a little scary, that would be on the top 5 worst throws all time for Pudge, or Bench, or even Matt Wieters. Not only did it not have anything on it, but it was 10 feet off line.  Hopefully a "fluke" but I find it hard to imagine that he has a plus arm after that.

You're nothing if not consistent.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

A national outlet story arising from the trip through New York.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/adley-rutschman-bringing-new-life-to-orioles-fan-base-franchise?fs=e&s=cl&fbclid=IwAR0Q1tmdMcz1M7VOFU09qrW_xaX_Yx9d7cr2dSyNIJAn2o_GAWX0s953kEA

The author got a couple substantive Mountcastle quotes and seems mostly to have talked with the high school coach.

The first time I ever heard the term "warning-track power" was Earl Weaver's comment after observing the newly acquired Benny Ayala in batting practice. But Earl and his successor Joe Altobelli found a way to deploy him to great offensive advantage during six unlikely seasons (1979-84) that included, of course, two World Series.

Aside from a rather flukish triple, Rutschman has skied three long flyballs that weren't really in any danger of leaving the park. I'll gladly take line-drive singles and doubles over the fly-outs and meh grounders I've seen so far.

AR runs surprisingly well. And opponent runners seem to have read a scouting report that warns not to try to steal a base on his arm (despite that bad throw he made against the Ys).

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

The first time I ever heard the term "warning-track power" was Earl Weaver's comment after observing the newly acquired Benny Ayala in batting practice. But Earl found a way to deploy him to great offensive advantage during six unlikely seasons (1979-84) that included, of course, two World Series.

Aside from a rather flukish triple, Rutschman has skied three long flyballs that weren't really in any danger of leaving the park. I'll gladly take line-drive singles and doubles over the fly-outs and meh grounders I've seen so far.

Runs surprisingly well. And opponent runners seem to have read a scouting report that warns not to try to steal a base on his arm (despite that bad throw he made against the Ys).

Here's some Warning Track Power for you:

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's some Warning Track Power for you:

Haha--there was indeed some good warning-track power in that, although I wouldn't mind having some Luke Scott and MM in the lineup again when playing the Tiggers. Loved the rhyme of Mora and Uehara (or モラand 上原!).

24 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Haha--there was indeed some good warning-track power in that, although I wouldn't mind having some Luke Scott and MM in the lineup again when playing the Tiggers. Loved the rhyme of Mora and Uehara (or モラand 上原!).

Not sure whether you caught it. The name of the band is Warning Track Power.

Time to DFA Adley? .179 BA  258 OBP Meanwhile Chirinos has hit 2 homers.Hopefully we didn't lose Benboom yet. These moves have to be made if the Orioles want to compete for a playoff spot. Get her done.

"Where have you gone catcher Benboom? Oriole nation wants you back and don't go away. Hey hey,hey  Here's to you catcher Benboom. Joltin Adley could not hit and has been DFA'ed".

At 40 PA, Adley is right next to Ramon Urias at a chase rate of 29 percent.   In both cases they are about 67th percentile MLB-wide (133rd and 134th of 403 today).

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=40&type=5&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&page=5_30

Even in 7-for-35 mode, 72-43 OPS+ edge on Chirinos YTD at catcher.   The 7/4 K/BB ratio is team best.

His Statcast week in Charlotte he hit one 112.6, but for the moment he is stuck on zero Barrels.

Mountcastle's 112.0 exit velocity remains YTD team-best; last night Jorge Mateo's 111.3 jumped to second place.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

At 40 PA, Adley is right next to Ramon Urias at a chase rate of 29 percent.   In both cases they are about 67th percentile MLB-wide (133rd and 134th of 403 today).

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=40&type=5&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&page=5_30

Even in 7-for-35 mode, 72-43 OPS+ edge on Chirinos YTD at catcher.   The 7/4 K/BB ratio is team best.

His Statcast week in Charlotte he hit one 112.6, but for the moment he is stuck on zero Barrels.

Mountcastle's 112.0 exit velocity remains YTD team-best; last night Jorge Mateo's 111.3 jumped to second place.

He’s very patient.  Often doesn’t swing until he has two strikes.   I think he’s getting used to seeing quality major league pitches, and not seeing as many mistake pitches as you see in the minors.  Reminds me a little of Nick Markakis’ first several weeks in the majors.   I’m expecting he will zero in on things after a few weeks and put up good numbers.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s very patient.  Often doesn’t swing until he has two strikes.   I think he’s getting used to seeing quality major league pitches, and not seeing as many mistake pitches as you see in the minors.  Reminds me a little of Nick Markakis’ first several weeks in the majors.   I’m expecting he will zero in on things after a few weeks and put up good numbers.   

Rutschman has needed a bit of time to adjust to each level and the majors was going to be no different. I did not expect him to show up and be an impact guy right away. After yesterday his EV went up to 90.4 MPH which is above league average of 88.4. He's going to be fine when he adjusts.

As for framing, if he qualified, his 52.8% strike rate (cumulative total of all zones just off the plate). The zone on the inside of RH batters he's stolen an amazing 82.8% strikes. So yes, he's damn good framer.

• Upvote 1

Gotta say, Adley looked pretty awful at the plate last night, three strikeouts and a routine grounder to 2B.   The highlight of his night was hitting a foul ball to RF that completely cleared the stands.   But it was way foul.  He actually got a fan reaction from that, but otherwise he didn’t look good last night.