Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, Adley is now at 0.4 rWAR, running at a pace of about 2.5 rWAR over a full season.  Decent considering his offensive stats aren’t really there yet.   

That’s twice as valuable as Chirinos so far this season. 

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

A little over halfway through June, this month he is a touch ahead of Juan Soto and in about the 95th percentile at Chase Rate among qualified MLB Bats.

I just posted this in the game thread but Adley seems to have a great eye yet often not getting calls. It seems like every at bat there is a close pitch just outside the zone but it feels like EVERY one is called a strike.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Will be interesting to see how Adley is on preventing passed balls, especially vs. Severino last year.  I know some passed balls, like the one 5 feet over the catcher's head are unpreventable, but a sizeable decrease could save several runs and make a difference over a season.

That would be considered a wild pitch.

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Thoughts on Adley and Chirinos behind the plate compared to Severino, Cisco, etc from the past couple seasons?

I feel like the difference is glaring.

35 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Huge difference.

I’ve wondered how much were the catchers and how much were the pitchers the last few seasons.

I think Orioles pitching is better this season, which is making the catchers look good too. I think pitchers the last few seasons made some look worse.

Small sample size: Wynns is the only catcher of the last few seasons in the MLB right now that isn’t suspended. Before the Giants got him, they had zero shutouts. In 5 games he has started behind the plate, they’ve had 2 shutouts. 

I wonder how much the new pitching philosophy of “throw it over the plate” is impacting things?

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I’ve wondered how much were the catchers and how much were the pitchers the last few seasons.

I think Orioles pitching is better this season, which is making the catchers look good too. I think pitchers the last few seasons made some look worse.

Small sample size: Wynns is the only catcher of the last few seasons in the MLB right now that isn’t suspended. Before the Giants got him, they had zero shutouts. In 5 games he has started behind the plate, they’ve had 2 shutouts. 

I wonder how much the new pitching philosophy of “throw it over the plate” is impacting things?

I think every pitching philosophy has a large component of throw it over the plate baked in.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think every pitching philosophy has a large component of throw it over the plate baked in.

Works better for some pitchers than others.  In Bradish's last start I feel like 1/2 his pitches were in the center of the strike zone.  Probably too much in the strike zone for him.