Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

Yeah, even during the "slow" start you could see the ability.  The great eye at the plate, the quick pitch recognition, the good ABs  His timing just seemed a bit off.  He'll still get pitched to every now and again, but so does everyone else.  His numbers are climbing despite the fact that he's still hitting into some hard out.

He certainly looks like a star in the making to me.  Some guys play baseball, some guys are born to be baseball players.  Adley seems like the latter to me.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, accinfo said:

Come on don't be fooled by this mini hot streak.  He is 24.5 years old and a bust because no one that old coming up as a rookie can be a success.  😁

Clearly that's not true, but it is unusual for a big star to not be established in the majors by Rutschman's age.  I think this is a complete list of HOFers (non-pitchers) since WWII who were age 24 or older rookies: Edgar Martinez, Jackie Robinson, Tony Oliva, Wade Boggs, Carlton Fisk, Gil Hodges, Mike Piazza, Kirby Puckett.  Jackie obviously would have debuted years earlier if not for the color line.  Martinez, Oliva, Boggs were blocked by others, and in Martinez' case the unfathomably stupidity of the Mariners' front office (blocked by Jim Presley!).  Hodges missed two years to the war.  So there's only about four without extenuating circumstances.

That's out of 69 non-pitcher HOFers in that time span.  The median rookie age of a HOF non-pitcher since 1945 is 21.5.

If you're going to count being blocked by Carney Lansford as a legit thing, then Rutschman probably gets some bonus points for the Orioles being in full tear-it-down rebuild mode.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Covid certainly counts as " extenuating circumstances". And we can discuss the Orioles handling of that but I don't think there's any question that that also delayed some of these debuts. 

He should have been up last year regardless of COVID.

That being said, he would have been up last year if COVID never happened.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agree on both points... just saying that  Drungos historical analysis should take that into account. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m happy the way it’s working out.  We have a lot of guys arriving at the same time.  There’s a lot to be excited about.  Just wish we could be watching Grayson right now.  

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Agree on both points... just saying that  Drungos historical analysis should take that into account. 

Yea I think COVID will throw some things off.

That said, your body still ages whether COVID and the shutdown happened or not.  You still lose some hand eye coordination, etc…so I suspect starting older than you should still isn’t a good thing.

The only good thing, especially for a catcher, is the lack of wear and tear he had the last few years.

• Upvote 1

The first Barrel was a long time coming, but now they are flowing...past Nevin-Mateo, Mullins-Odor up next.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/statcast?type=batter&year=2022&position=&team=110&min=50

That beautfiul hot red on Beast Mountcastle boosts my faith he has a monstrous RBI year coming sometime.

700 PA batting cleanup behind say Gunnar-Hays-Adley seems about right, though I hope Mullins stays strong enough to keep his Top of Lineup spot.

The 2025 Orioles have a chance to give almost all 6057 PA to plus hitters.   Best 9 are perhaps Mullins, Hays, Adley, Mountcastle, Gunnar, Mayo, Termarr*, Cowser, Kjerstad if I draft for positional need.   Sorry, Westburg.    2023 draft might be sweet spot for that Gregg Olson-Garrett Crochet-Chris Ray-Chris Ray-Chris Ray mix.

The 2025 Yankees are one Aaron Judge sized extension away from deploying $125mm+ on five 35-year olds.

*If Brooks Lee is the pick, I'd hope to see that lineup in late 2023.

46 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Adley is up to .684 OPS.  Over .700 soon.  Definitely been a positive behind the plate too. 

Adley now has 10 doubles in 103 at bats. That puts him on nearly a 50 doubles per season pace over 500 at bats. Plus, I expect some of those doubles to turn into home runs as he gains experience against MLB pitching. 

• Upvote 4

Adley is seeing the ball extremely well.  He’s only struck out 6 times in his last 55 PA covering 15 games and 14 starts.  And he’s hitting the ball hard very consistently.  1 for 4 last night in a game where he was robbed of a double by a diving catch and hit a fly caught at the fence 398 feet away.   

After reading about all of the Nats travails with Boras clients, I’m so happy that I have read that Adley is not a Boras client. We should avoid his players with the plague, Especially since he screwed us with the Davis horrible contract.   I hope other teams do the same.

5 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

After reading about all of the Nats travails with Boras clients, I’m so happy that I have read that Adley is not a Boras client. We should avoid his players with the plague, Especially since he screwed us with the Davis horrible contract.   I hope other teams do the same.

The Os screwed themselves with the Davis contract and then used it as an unnecessary crutch to act as if they couldn’t field a better team.

Boras is great at what he does and represents some of the best players and young draft eligible kids.  You don’t ignore that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

The Nats benefitted from deals with Boras clients for years.  The Scherzer deal was one of the great deals ever for a club.  Strasburg’s original extension was a good one; the Nats blew it when they extended it further.   I expect agents to get the best deals they can for their clients.   It’s on the teams to decide when those deals make sense.  

• Upvote 1