Your guess on Tuesday's starter

wildcard

I hate how we’re handicapping ourselves after the injury to Watkins. We only have 4 SP and aren’t making any moves to get someone up to Baltimore. So another bullpen game today, and then tomorrow the team is complaining that we don’t have enough bullpen arms. 

Just now, waroriole said:

I hate how we’re handicapping ourselves after the injury to Watkins. We only have 4 SP and aren’t making any moves to get someone up to Baltimore. So another bullpen game today, and then tomorrow the team is complaining that we don’t have enough bullpen arms. 

Yea it’s dumb.  The Orioles June 1, 2022 pitching staff should consistent of the best available, healthy and ready options we have.

You can argue if DL Hall is one of those names.  You can’t argue that Vespi, GRod and Kremer shouldn’t be here. (Unless Kremer is definitely staying a starter and they need to extend him a little more)

Has Elias said anything about how Hall will be used if he’s promoted? With the artificial limits on his 2022 innings and Rodriguez, Wells, Zimmerman, Lyles, Bradish possibly in place when he’s deemed “ready”, would they put him in the bullpen? Or just keep him in AAA and shut him down early, playing the service clock game in the process?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm no sure why he keeps guys like Diplan and Lakins on the roster other than they are those guys they can just use in blowouts. I'd rather have guys like Vespi and Kremer in those roles.

Hydes says he wants Kremer as a starter.

Just now, UMDTerrapins said:

Has Elias said anything about how Hall will be used if he’s promoted? With the artificial limits on his 2022 innings and Rodriguez, Wells, Zimmerman, Lyles, Bradish possibly in place when he’s deemed “ready”, would they put him in the bullpen? Or just keep him in AAA and shut him down early, playing the service clock game in the process?

Hall will be up if healthy.

I think you could see a start or 2 where he goes 4-5 innings but mainly I think he’s a bulk inning reliever this year.  100ish total innings for the season.

17 hours ago, justD said:

I’ve been following the team more closely than I have in years yet cannot come up with how we were pitching so well two weeks ago and now are scrambling to come up with a starter. 

This is all because of that crazy stretch without a day off?

It’s also been forever since I recall a 5-game series.

I really miss that couple who used to create the schedules on their dining room table. 

The lockout affected this.   The Toronto series we missed because the season started a week late is stuck at the end of the season, which now ends on a Wednesday instead of a Sunday (and pushes the end of the World Series into November again).

The @Boston series we missed is being made up piecemeal.   One game was added this past Saturday to change a 4 game series into a 5 game series.   One game will be made up in August where the Orioles will stop in Boston for one day on what was originally an open date before a series in Tampa.   And one game will be made up in September when a 3 game series that was to run Tue-Wed-Thu will now be a 4 game series running Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it’s dumb.  The Orioles June 1, 2022 pitching staff should consistent of the best available, healthy and ready options we have.

You can argue if DL Hall is one of those names.  You can’t argue that Vespi, GRod and Kremer shouldn’t be here. (Unless Kremer is definitely staying a starter and they need to extend him a little more)

"Best available" ignores things like options, team control etc. Sending Vespi back down allows us to cover innings without having to DFA guys like Perez and Jorge and keep control of more players who could contribute at some point. It's never going to be the best guys at any time.

I am not sure Kremer qualifies as best available. He was terrible last year and has pitched 9 innings this year. I can definitely see playing slow with him.

Definitely agree Grayson should be up and I would love to see him on Tuesday. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

"Best available" ignores things like options, team control etc. Sending Vespi back down allows us to cover innings without having to DFA guys like Perez and Jorge and keep control of more players who could contribute at some point. It's never going to be the best guys at any time.

I am not sure Kremer qualifies as best available. He was terrible last year and has pitched 9 innings this year. I can definitely see playing slow with him.

Definitely agree Grayson should be up and I would love to see him on Tuesday. 

Why would bringing up Vespi mean we have to DFa anyone?

Kremer I agree is a bit of a wild card but he’s pitching well now and has shown promise in the past. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would bringing up Vespi mean we have to DFa anyone?

Kremer I agree is a bit of a wild card but he’s pitching well now and has shown promise in the past. 

Vespi has options. It is common for guys with options to be the ones who go up and down because they have that flexibility. Overall you need more than 13 guys to make it through a season. It's more like you roll with 9 of your best guys and then any 4 of your next 9-12. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

DL Hall is just not there yet. He was injured pretty much all of last year and hasn't gotten past 4 innings yet. Pretty sure Grod would not be on normal rest to start today and Kremer is rehabbing/getting stretched out and would be pitching on two days rest. I don't see the point in getting so worked up about something so inconsequential. A bullpen game is not some rare occurrence in baseball nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Vespi has options. It is common for guys with options to be the ones who go up and down because they have that flexibility. Overall you need more than 13 guys to make it through a season. It's more like you roll with 9 of your best guys and then any 4 of your next 9-12. 

Yes you need more than 13 guys..but you don’t need to move guys like Vespi up and down.