Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

On 6/2/2022 at 12:46 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I don’t think anyone is saying much about the sex, just who do you like better. 

In Contrast, Why should Garceau get it because he has been around Baltimore forever when he can’t promptly and/or accurately communicate what’s going on on the field? That seems most important. Just my .02. 

Id prefer Roch to both of them, just my .02. Meleski too, love them both. 

Yes, I enjoyed listening to Melewski a couple of years ago when he was doing the Internet audio broadcasts during spring training for the games that weren't on MASN or the O's radio network.

13 hours ago, rm5678 said:

Yes, I enjoyed listening to Melewski a couple of years ago when he was doing the Internet audio broadcasts during spring training for the games that weren't on MASN or the O's radio network.

Melewski doesn’t have a good broadcasting voice, but he was otherwise pretty solid the couple of times I heard him.  

It’s a shame that voice is such an important part of broadcasting.   That guy who does the Baysox games is a good announcer but the voice doesn’t really stack up.

I love Kevin Brown’s voice, and when they show him on TV I have trouble believing that that voice matches up with that body. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Today's play by play guy, I believe Kevin Brown.   He and Palmer perfectly complemented each other.  I noticed Brown doesn't say much, unless it about the game play.  He lets Palmer fill in the empty air space.  With Melanie as play by play, it was like there was a competition on who could fill more air space and the game was an afterthought. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Today's play by play guy, I believe Kevin Brown.   He and Palmer perfectly complemented each other.  I noticed Brown doesn't say much, unless it about the game play.  He lets Palmer fill in the empty air space.  With Melanie as play by play, it was like there was a competition on who could fill more air space and the game was an afterthought. 

Jeff Arnold did play by play today. I like him much better than Garceau or Newman. Melanie just plain tries too hard. Her voice is just tough to listen to. I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but yikes. 

Oops!  Not good w/ the less well known broadcasters.  Of course Newman and Palmer are easy to pick out.  I would say Arnold was great, especially how he meshes with Palmer.  Palmer tends to lose focus at time and Arnold was always bringing him back the game.  When it was Palmer and Newman, it was like they were competing telling stories and forgot about the game.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love Kevin Brown’s voice, and when they show him on TV I have trouble believing that that voice matches up with that body. 

Brown looks more like the real life version of Alfred E Neuman than smooth talking television announcer. He's easily the Orioles best play-by-play announcer currently working for the franchise. 

Mad-Magazine-Alfred-Neuman-what-me-worry

• Haha 1

I listened to this duo (Garceau and Newman) for the first time on radio about a week ago. They are the worst combo i have ever heard broadcast a game of any kind with the only exception being possibly a high school game. We have gone from Chuck Thompson, Jon Miller and Joe Angel to this.  Not sure you could have hired worse announcers if you tried. For a team struggling to get fan interest the choice to hire these announcers boggles the mind.

Edited by Fuzzball22
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, LA2 said:

[...]

I know people are tired of hearing complaints about Newman, but [...]

I apologize for being so nasty in my post about Newman's announcing. She's trying hard in front of a huge audience and that is the most one can ask for. I should question why I  get so annoyed and feel the need to publish such complaints; that's my problem! (I've deleted the offending post.)

Been waiting for this topic. Melanie does a good job hosting pre and post game shows. But she is gawd awful doing radio play-by-play. Monotone. Fake excitement. Lousy at describing what is happening on the field. And so much more. I mean the O's radio broadcasting has been outstanding over the years from Chuck to Jon to Joe. I wanna know who hired her. Lots of qualified lady baseball announcers out there and some warehouse goof hired her? As soon as I hear her voice off goes the radio. 

21 hours ago, survivedc said:

Geoff Arnold who did PBP today is great as well. Plus saw him and Viviano out in Fells after the game so that’s a plus.

Yes, Arnold was pretty good this weekend (but not as good as KB). Palmer said today that he and Scott Garceau will be doing the Cubs series.

Edited by rm5678

I listened to Garceau-Newman on the radio in the car this weekend, and both come from the Fred Manfra School of Giving No Context Until Many Moments Have Passed. "And it's popped up." (On the infield for an easy out? Straight back twenty rows into the seats? Wait five seconds to find out!) At least Fred had a nice voice. 

• Upvote 1