Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

If they're watching MASN as their main video feed, that can't be helping because the MASN broadcast has also been awful at tracking the action in Toronto. The camera cuts are late on most hits in this series. Any ball hit hard on the infield, you won't see the play being made because by the time the camera cuts to that angle, the fielder already has the ball or has missed the ball. It's even slow enough that it's affecting some hits to the outfield. They also missed cutting to second base altogether on one stolen base attempt. 

I've been wondering if they have an inexperienced directing crew in Toronto or some other technical/logistical issue related to the international travel, since they don't usually have these issues. 

Anyway, Garceau/Newman both struggle to describe plays even when they're in the stadium, so I can only imagine this is exacerbating the issue. Even if they can see a panel of other camera angles, the produced broadcast surely helps and that broadcast isn't always showing them the basic plays. 

Usually on the road most teams use freelance camerman and production crew. The producer would ask for the dugout shots and show Oriole fans in the stands. I doubt the Orioles send the production truck and people on the road 

NY Post long-time columnist and resident curmudgeon Phil Muchnick watched her doing a Mets' game earlier this year during one of her side gigs. Mr. Mushnick did not mince words, not that he ever does. He was flabbergasted that she was doing a Big League game and wondered where she came from.  He also mentioned how her non-stop chatter made him turn off the television. 

• Upvote 1

Newman is cool, and I like her and think she should absolutely work in sports.  She is knowledgeable for sure.  That said, she is AWFUL at doing play by play.  I am convinced that most people on this board would do a better job than her.  I know I could.

5 hours ago, Etch said:

I just got done watching the O's highlights from last night's game. Melanie Newman is downright awful. I could cite several examples but just one will suffice. Mountcastle a drive out to right...this one is...out of the bullpen. What?? Out of the bullpen? And to think we had the GOAT Jon Miller for all those years. Sigh.

And yes, she's just as bad at home games.

Roch is very bad in the booth.  It's not his fault--he isn't a former player and doesn't have the insight that Palmer, Ben, and even Johnson have.  Can't wait till Ben is back, he and Palmer are by far the best. 

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Roch is very bad in the booth.  It's not his fault--he isn't a former player and doesn't have the insight that Palmer, Ben, and even Johnson have.  Can't wait till Ben is back, he and Palmer are by far the best. 

Now this I can get behind. I love Palmer and Ben and Dave Johnson are quite listenable. Between the actual visual of the game and the added studio graphics, do we really even need a play by play person on a broadcast.

I'll be honest, I've had zero issues with Dave Johnson or Roch doing color. Neither have great voices for the job, but they both are knowledgeable and gave out relevant information. 

I also think Geoff Arnold has really gotten quite good on TV. I don't listen to a ton of games on the radio, but he's been very good the last few nights.

As for Newman, I agree with what many have said. I think she tries, she's prepared, but she's not very good at play by play and she just seems very inexperienced wit her calls, frequently using wrong terms to describe the action.  

I watch a lot of MiLB TV while watching the prospects, and I can tell you at least 8 announcers I've heard that are way better. I can imagine it's frustrating for them to see someone jumped way ahead of them with less experience and less ability. But that's the world we live in nowadays.

If she was more polished and experienced, I could deal with her voice which at times can get a little grating, but I do think she has an excellent future in some kind of studio role in baseball. 

I will say this, McDonald to me has taken a step back from when he started. He's turned into Mike Bordick the second, praising every player for everything while using the same old baseball clichés over and over. I thought he was more like Palmer, but saying that, even Palmer has lessoned his criticisms.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I watch a lot of MiLB TV while watching the prospects, and I can tell you at least 8 announcers I've heard that are way better. I can imagine it's frustrating for them to see someone jumped way ahead of them with less experience and less ability. But that's the world we live in nowadays.

If she was more polished and experienced, I could deal with her voice which at times can get a little grating, but I do think she has an excellent future in some kind of studio role in baseball. 

Newman had been calling minor league games for years at multiple levels before getting a job with the Orioles, as well as doing sideline work with Fox Sports. She had almost exactly the same amount of experience as Kevin Brown when she was hired. And Joe Buck literally got hired with no experience at 21 (and I like him), so I have no idea what you mean by the "world we live in nowadays"

I agree that the Toronto broadcasts haven't been bad. Honestly, given it is not their natural role they've been much better then I would have expected. 

One thing about the radio production as a whole: it’s so in your face the whole time. The commercials are loud, the announcer mics seem maxed out. I switched to the Toronto broadcast which was way more aesthetically pleasing
Have listened to broadcasts of SFG, LAD, NYY, BOS, WAS and the orioles are the only I can think of that are blasting the obnoxious Harley ad 2 times in one commercial break.

12 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Newman had been calling minor league games for years at multiple levels before getting a job with the Orioles, as well as doing sideline work with Fox Sports. She had almost exactly the same amount of experience as Kevin Brown when she was hired. And Joe Buck literally got hired with no experience at 21 (and I like him), so I have no idea what you mean by the "world we live in nowadays"

I agree that the Toronto broadcasts haven't been bad. Honestly, given it is not their natural role they've been much better then I would have expected. 

I think you know EXACTLY what I mean. As for Joe Buck, nepotism and the good old boys network certainly exists in this world as well. He was also a natural talent with golden pipes.

As for Newman vs Brown, your facts are wrong. Newman spent five years as broadcaster for two A-ball affiliates after graduating college in 2013.

Brown: 

Syracuse University: Play-by Play for football, women's basketball, women's lacrosse; reporter for high school football; studio host, producer, engineer for broadcasts; performed weekly on-air sports updates; hosted a weekly two-hour talk show. 3 yrs
Sports Director for WAER-FM at Syracuse University - 1yr 3 months
MSG Networks: Television play-by-play broadcaster for multiple high school sports, including football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, wrestling and lacrosse - 3 yrs
Time Warner Cable - TV play-by-play broadcaster for high school and college sports. 5 yrs (overlapping with MSG Networks
Director of Media Relations & Broadcasting Syracuse Chiefs (AAA)
Mar 2011 - Sep 2017  - 6 yrs and 7 months
ESPN since 2016 - TV play-by-play broadcaster for football, basketball, hockey

So according to you, they have the same experience? 

Brown had been announcing AAA games for six season and been on ESPN for three years prior to being hired by the Orioles. He has been announcing something since he was in college going back to 2008.

Other then they both were announcing in the minor leagues when they were both hired, Brown's experience dwarves Newman's and it shows on the broadcasts.

But wait, what about Geoff Arnold prior to being hired in 2020 by the Orioles??

Television and Radio Broadcaster, Freelance March 2013-present
Play-by-Play, Sideline Reporter, Reporter, Host
• Broadcast college football, basketball, baseball and Olympic Sports for ESPN3, ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN Gameplan,
NBCSN Philly, Stadium, Fox Sports Ohio and ROOT Sports
• Feature reporter for O’s Xtra on MASN
• Play-by-Play Announcer George Washington men’s and women’s basketball on ESPN+
• Anchor/Host 106.7 The Fan (Washington, D.C.)
• Radio and television announcer for Delaware Blue Coats of the NBA G League
• Host and producer for Learfield/IMG College covering Wake Forest, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia Tech
networks
Frederick Keys (Baltimore Orioles Advanced-A Affiliate), Frederick, MD February 2014-February 2020
Director of Public Relations and Broadcasting
• Serve as team’s radio play-by-play voice for home and road games
• Oversee team social media content and assist with maintaining team website and team blog
• Write and edit press materials including team releases and business communications, media notes and yearly media guide
• Work as primary liaison to local and national media; handle player, coach, staff interview requests and credential requests
• Served as temporary team Marketing Director, assisting with branding and community initiatives, help plan promotional
schedule and promote team through local and national media
• Manage and oversee club Speakers Bureau, speaking to local civic groups in Frederick and surrounding counties
Wilmington Blue Rocks (Kansas City Royals Advanced-A Affiliate), Wilmington, DE March 2013-September 2013
Broadcaster/Media Relations
• Serve as team radio voice for home and road games, host pre-game show and conduct daily interviews
• Oversee team media relations efforts, including team baseball and business press releases, press notes and game recaps
• Help develop and re-design new team media guide and update all content
• Assist with website maintenance, produce game and feature story content for digital and game program
Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers Double-A Affiliate), Frisco, TX February 2012-September 2012
• Radio broadcaster for home games and studio host for road games
• Assist with production of daily game notes and statistical information
• Produce team press releases, occasionally working with team marketing and sales departments
• Work as one of two webmasters for club site, produce team social media and content for Riders Insiders Blog

If Newman was an overweight white guy with her resume, she's not calling games for the Orioles. Sorry, but that's just the truth in my opinion. You can disagree, and that's fine, but her inexperience shows in her shoddy play by play game calling and overly wordy back and forth with her co-broadcaster.

But again, saying that, I think she's better suited and will do well with in studio work by herself or maybe with a co-host with well prepared information to report. 

She just shouldn't be doing play by play for a major league baseball team. I got nothing against her and wish her the best, but she's got a long way to go and I'm hoping ESPN or another network will grab her before next year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you know EXACTLY what I mean. As for Joe Buck, nepotism and the good old boys network certainly exists in this world as well. He was also a natural talent with golden pipes.

As for Newman vs Brown, your facts are wrong. Newman spent five years as broadcaster for two A-ball affiliates after graduating college in 2013.

Brown: 

Syracuse University: Play-by Play for football, women's basketball, women's lacrosse; reporter for high school football; studio host, producer, engineer for broadcasts; performed weekly on-air sports updates; hosted a weekly two-hour talk show. 3 yrs
MSG Networks: Television play-by-play broadcaster for multiple high school sports, including football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, wrestling and lacrosse - 3 yrs
Time Warner Cable - TV play-by-play broadcaster for high school and college sports. 5 yrs (overlapping with MSG Networks

Brown had been announcing AAA games for six season and been on ESPN for three years prior to being hired by the Orioles. He has been announcing something since he was in college going back to 2008.

Other then they both were announcing in the minor leagues when they were both hired, Brown's experience dwarves Newman's and it shows on the broadcasts.

• Broadcast college football, basketball, baseball and Olympic Sports for ESPN3, ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN Gameplan,
• Play-by-Play Announcer George Washington men’s and women’s basketball on ESPN+
• Host and producer for Learfield/IMG College covering Wake Forest, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia Tech
networks
Frederick Keys (Baltimore Orioles Advanced-A Affiliate), Frederick, MD February 2014-February 2020
• Oversee team social media content and assist with maintaining team website and team blog
• Write and edit press materials including team releases and business communications, media notes and yearly media guide
• Work as primary liaison to local and national media; handle player, coach, staff interview requests and credential requests
• Served as temporary team Marketing Director, assisting with branding and community initiatives, help plan promotional
• Manage and oversee club Speakers Bureau, speaking to local civic groups in Frederick and surrounding counties
Wilmington Blue Rocks (Kansas City Royals Advanced-A Affiliate), Wilmington, DE March 2013-September 2013
• Serve as team radio voice for home and road games, host pre-game show and conduct daily interviews
• Oversee team media relations efforts, including team baseball and business press releases, press notes and game recaps
• Assist with website maintenance, produce game and feature story content for digital and game program
Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers Double-A Affiliate), Frisco, TX February 2012-September 2012
• Produce team press releases, occasionally working with team marketing and sales departments
• Work as one of two webmasters for club site, produce team social media and content for Riders Insiders Blog

If Newman was an overweight white guy with her resume, she's not calling games for the Orioles. Sorry, but that's just the truth in my opinion. You can disagree, and that's fine, but her inexperience shows in her shoddy play by play game calling and overly wordy back and forth with her co-broadcaster.

But again, saying that, I think she's better suited and will do well with in studio work by herself or maybe with a co-host with well prepared information to report. 

She just shouldn't be doing play by play for a major league baseball team. I got nothing against her and wish her the best, but she's got a long way to go and I'm hoping ESPN or another network will grab her before next year.

More likely here.

Play-by-play broadcaster, host and reporter Melanie Newman joins MLB Network
https://www.mlb.com/press-release/play-by-play-broadcaster-host-and-reporter-melanie-newman-joins-mlb-network

45 minutes ago, survivedc said:

One thing about the radio production as a whole: it’s so in your face the whole time. The commercials are loud, the announcer mics seem maxed out. I switched to the Toronto broadcast which was way more aesthetically pleasing
Have listened to broadcasts of SFG, LAD, NYY, BOS, WAS and the orioles are the only I can think of that are blasting the obnoxious Harley ad 2 times in one commercial break.

Ha. Jon Miller used to poke fun at the production team wanting more "nat noise" in the background. "Nat noise" was the shop phrase for natural noise. 

24 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

More likely here.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/play-by-play-broadcaster-host-and-reporter-melanie-newman-joins-mlb-network

46 minutes ago, survivedc said:

50 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

More likely here.

Well at least we have Newman to look forward to on the next Apple TV broadcast.  I refuse to believe that Newman is one of the top 100 female play by play broadcasters. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Brown: 

networks

If Newman was just an unattractive woman with much better broadcast skills would she get the same gig?