Andujar requests trade

Sports Guy

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why do you care about defense on a team going nowhere?  His value is his bat, and if it can be rejuvenated he has value.  

I am not saying he is your long term answer.  When Tampa acquired Isaac Paredes this off season.  A player who plays 2B, and would be behind another player, Lowe, the Rays just signed long term and another player, Brujan, who is a top 100 prospect,  were they thinking "this guy is a long term answer!".  No.  They were thinking, this is a guy we can get cheap who put up a .845 OPS last year in the minors.  If we have a few injuries or he finds his bat in the majors we can ship out him, or Lowe, or Brujan and get value back.

People on this site were drooling over Urias putting up a sub .800 OPS last season thinking he could be a long term answer.

Andujar at his best was significantly better.

So yes, if you can get him cheap you decrease other players playing time, or he fills in when a player gets injured in a week, or you stick him at DH occasionally.

You see if you can get value.

Nobody ever knows how well a player can prove himself in the future, because he also works on his technique and develops physically. And if the scouts see the potential, then getting a player cheap is a good option. After all, every player didn't cost anything at first :)
Do you think Isaac Paredes will last long in the lineup or will he be sold?

I would view him as a Mancini replacement. I don’t know what we would do with him until Mancini is traded, but we really don’t have a direct replacement for Mancini.

Stowers is more of a replacement for Santander. It would be nice to have DH open and just rotate guys through it that need days off, and AR, but we are already a bat short in the lineup. It’s hard to win when AR gets a complete day off when we trot out Mateo, Chirnos, and McKenna. 

I’d try and sell Andujar on getting reps at 3B in AAA for a few weeks and then bringing him up. As for what we would give up, I’m assuming the Yankees would want a reliever. Vespi?

It’s hard to ignore a 27 yo that has put up a season of 27 HR and 47 2B in a season. It would be nice to get him back to 3B, but if we can’t 1B/DH is fine. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 3:34 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I would view him as a Mancini replacement. I don’t know what we would do with him until Mancini is traded, but we really don’t have a direct replacement for Mancini.

Stowers is more of a replacement for Santander. It would be nice to have DH open and just rotate guys through it that need days off, and AR, but we are already a bat short in the lineup. It’s hard to win when AR gets a complete day off when we trot out Mateo, Chirnos, and McKenna. 

I’d try and sell Andujar on getting reps at 3B in AAA for a few weeks and then bringing him up. As for what we would give up, I’m assuming the Yankees would want a reliever. Vespi?

It’s hard to ignore a 27 yo that has put up a season of 27 HR and 47 2B in a season. It would be nice to get him back to 3B, but if we can’t 1B/DH is fine. 

Vespi looks like a good option for the Yankees. It's unlikely they'll pick up a better reliever. 

8 minutes ago, Pokitren said:

Vespi looks like a good option for the Yankees. It's unlikely they'll pick up a better reliever. 

I'm not giving up Vespi when Henderson or Westburg will probably be ready by next spring.  Would not be a stretch to say they're ready now.  Vespi has given up 1 run all season.