Palmer’s little dig at Severino last night

InsideCoroner

Anyone catch that? At the game’s crucial moment (8th inning, up by a run, Cleveland had the bases loaded with 2 outs, Naylor at the plate), Lopez bounced a curve in front of the plate that Chirinos kept from getting too far away, holding the runner at third). 

Palmer said, “Nice block. Really nice block… I don’t need to tell you where this would have been last year, back to the backstop. Not this year.”

I had to chuckle (because it’s true). 

• Like 3

I'm just so happy that Severino is gone. It seemed liked every game he let a ball get passed him. I still won't forget that if he didn't let a ball get passed him, Means would have had a perfect game.  He's currently serving a suspension in Milwaukee for PED use. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Beysbol said:

I'm just so happy that Severino is gone. It seemed like in every game he let a ball get passed him. I still don't forget that if he didn't let a ball get passed him, Means would have had a perfect game.  He's currently serving a suspension in Milwaukee for PED use. 

I guess he wasn't very good about blocking that, either.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I guess he wasn't very good about blocking that, either.

I was reading his statement about that and he said his wife and him are trying to have a baby. Said that the doctor gave him something to help him and that's what caused him to fail the test. 

1 hour ago, Beysbol said:

I was reading his statement about that and he said his wife and him are trying to have a baby. Said that the doctor gave him something to help him and that's what caused him to fail the test. 

I've heard of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but under the bus? He's breaking new ground on the blame game. I guess the doctor is under the bus as well. 

1 hour ago, Beysbol said:

I'm conditioned to believe all of these guys are liars.

Yes, I heard that comment from Palmer.  He pretty much said what everyone else was thinking.  

Let’s be clear, though.   It’s not like Severino was allowing multiple passed balls and wild pitches every game.  Last year he caught 102 games and had 10 passed balls and allowed 66 wild pitches to get past him.  So that’s basically .75 balls per game getting past him.   AL average was about .5 per game.   So, you can estimate that once every 4 games that he caught, a ball got past him that an average defensive catcher would have stopped.   That’s a significant number, but nowhere near as big as people like to imagine.   Would that particular pitch last night have gotten by Severino?   Who knows.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I've heard of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but under the bus? He's breaking new ground on the blame game. I guess the doctor is under the bus as well. 

That’s actually a common excuse. But it’s just that…an excuse. 

4 hours ago, Beysbol said:

I'm just so happy that Severino is gone. It seemed liked every game he let a ball get passed him. I still won't forget that if he didn't let a ball get passed him, Means would have had a perfect game.  He's currently serving a suspension in Milwaukee for PED use. 

Severino needed PEDs to hit like "that"?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I heard that comment from Palmer.  He pretty much said what everyone else was thinking.  

Let’s be clear, though.   It’s not like Severino was allowing multiple passed balls and wild pitches every game.  Last year he caught 102 games and had 10 passed balls and allowed 66 wild pitches to get past him.  So that’s basically .75 balls per game getting past him.   AL average was about .5 per game.   So, you can estimate that once every 4 games that he caught, a ball got past him that an average defensive catcher would have stopped.   That’s a significant number, but nowhere near as big as people like to imagine.   Would that particular pitch last night have gotten by Severino?   Who knows.   

25 extra passed balls/wild pitches is a big number, imo.  A large number of those with men on base.  So say 12 times there is a man on and he either advances or scores.  I don't blame Palmer for being upset.  Obviously a large number of even passed balls are due to a pitch that is far out of the strike zone.  I assume there are catchers who are above average at blocking wild pitches and preventing passed balls.  I think the fact that Severino was 50% worse than average at preventing wild pitches/passed balls is significant. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

25 extra passed balls/wild pitches is a big number, imo.  A large number of those with men on base.  So say 12 times there is a man on and he either advances or scores.  I don't blame Palmer for being upset.  Obviously a large number of even passed balls are due to a pitch that is far out of the strike zone.  I assume there are catchers who are above average at blocking wild pitches and preventing passed balls.  I think the fact that Severino was 50% worse than average at preventing wild pitches/passed balls is significant. 

They’re almost all with runners on base.  Otherwise they don’t get scored a WP or PB.  The only exception would be a strike 3 that goes to the backstop and the batter is safe.  That happened in John Means’ no hitter and prevented it from being a perfect game.  

You misunderstood me if you think I was saying it isn’t significant.  It’s quite significant.   It’s just not nearly as frequent as some posters seem to think.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’re almost all with runners on base.  Otherwise they don’t get scored a WP or PB.  The only exception would be a strike 3 that goes to the backstop and the batter is safe.  That happened in John Means’ no hitter and prevented it from being a perfect game.  

You misunderstood me if you think I was saying it isn’t significant.  It’s quite significant.   It’s just not nearly as frequent as some posters seem to think.  

It did happen in the majority of games for Severino last year, so it was happening "all the time".  It seemed that Severino was below average in just about everything a catcher does.  I'm sure pitchers were thinking "I can't throw a pitch in the dirt because it going to get past Severino and the runner on 3rd will score."  Little things like that give a pitcher more stress and less confidence in their catcher.  I believe that Adley will eventually hit, but if O's pitchers were able to be honest, they would probably say something similar to what Palmer said.  I'm sure it's bad behavior to throw former teammates under the bus. 

• Upvote 2

I liked Serverino as a player. A bit lazy behind the plate, but maybe that's what playing on a horrible team does to a man.

This wasn't the first time Palmer has taken a shot at him though. He's mentioned C defense a few times recently that I've heard, if not going as far as to call out Pedro by name.

• Upvote 1