Palmer’s little dig at Severino last night

InsideCoroner

19 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

This wasn't the first time Palmer has taken a shot at him though. He's mentioned C defense a few times recently that I've heard, if not going as far as to call out Pedro by name.

Agree. Palmer has made a couple of negative references to Pedro this year. 

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I heard that comment from Palmer.  He pretty much said what everyone else was thinking.  

Let’s be clear, though.   It’s not like Severino was allowing multiple passed balls and wild pitches every game.  Last year he caught 102 games and had 10 passed balls and allowed 66 wild pitches to get past him.  So that’s basically .75 balls per game getting past him.   AL average was about .5 per game.   So, you can estimate that once every 4 games that he caught, a ball got past him that an average defensive catcher would have stopped.   That’s a significant number, but nowhere near as big as people like to imagine.   Would that particular pitch last night have gotten by Severino?   Who knows.   

I don't think it's valid to compare across the league the last few years, because they've all only recently adopted the knee-down approach to catching (ostensibly to steal strike calls) and balls getting past the catcher became, in my opinion. horribly the norm throughout MLB. 

56 minutes ago, justD said:

I don't think it's valid to compare across the league the last few years, because they've all only recently adopted the knee-down approach to catching (ostensibly to steal strike calls) and balls getting past the catcher became, in my opinion. horribly the norm throughout MLB. 

Does the knee down approach take stress off the knees too?  As someone who has had knee problems, the catcher's crouch would be painful. 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, Frobby said:

Yes, I heard that comment from Palmer.  He pretty much said what everyone else was thinking.  

Let’s be clear, though.   It’s not like Severino was allowing multiple passed balls and wild pitches every game.  Last year he caught 102 games and had 10 passed balls and allowed 66 wild pitches to get past him.  So that’s basically .75 balls per game getting past him.   AL average was about .5 per game.   So, you can estimate that once every 4 games that he caught, a ball got past him that an average defensive catcher would have stopped.   That’s a significant number, but nowhere near as big as people like to imagine.   Would that particular pitch last night have gotten by Severino?   Who knows.   

I don't think that is the whole story.  A pitcher is going to be less likely to make risky pitches if he knows the catcher can't block it. 

10 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I don't think that is the whole story.  A pitcher is going to be less likely to make risky pitches if he knows the catcher can't block it. 

Look, I don’t disagree with that at all.   I’m only saying that some posters seemed to think his miscues happened several times a game, and they didn’t.  It was more than enough though.   

4 hours ago, justD said:

Interesting, that’s a theory I haven’t heard.   It does look like WP + PB have increased by 30% or so over the last decade.   Is that due to the knee-down thing?   I have no idea.  I’d assumed that having a knee down actually would help in preventing pitches from getting between the legs.   

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting, that’s a theory I haven’t heard.   It does look like WP + PB have increased by 30% or so over the last decade.   Is that due to the knee-down thing?   I have no idea.  I’d assumed that having a knee down actually would help in preventing pitches from getting between the legs.   

I’ll try to find this excellent segment by Bill Ripken, who describes it best but basically having the knee down decreases mobility.  A ball gets by before you can get up to move to where the errant pitch is heading.  Teams keep doing it because metrics tell you stealing strikes is more valuable than saving runs on passed balls or WP. 

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I love Palmer's honesty in the booth. In game 1, it was so refreshing to hear him call out the home plate ump

Yes, that was great. I believe he used the word "pathetic" and "unacceptable."