Henderson and Westburg promoted to Norfolk

MurphDogg

31 minutes ago, connja said:

The best part of these promotions today is I feel much more confident that we won't start 2023 with guys like Gutierrez, Odor and Owings on the roster. 

I don’t assume that.   There’s no guarantee that Henderson or Westburg is on the OD roster next year.   What I do assume is that if they do well in AAA we probably won’t go outside our organization for a good major league infielder this winter with these guys being close to ready.

It will be interesting to see what happens.   If Henderson and/or Westberg are hitting the cover off the ball in 4-6 weeks the cry for them to be promoted will get very loud fast.  Especially after the big time disappointment of Grayson getting injured.  

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

It will be interesting to see what happens.   If Henderson and/or Westberg are hitting the cover off the ball in 4-6 weeks the cry for them to be promoted will get very loud fast.  Especially after the big time disappointment of Grayson getting injured.  

Not enough people care for the cry to get very loud.

Heck I wouldn't say the Adley outcry was more than a murmur.

Amazing what Gunnar has done.   He is unequivocally our best non-pitching prospect.   Let's hope and pray he keeps it up!   Slightly softens the blow of losing Gray-Rod for most of the season...

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What I do assume is that if they do well in AAA we probably won’t go outside our organization for a good major league infielder this winter with these guys being close to ready.

Elias: Umm……yeah that’s it. That’s the reason we didn’t pursue anyone in free agency. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin, Nevin, Bannon, Owings, and Gutierrez are all AAA players. Martin at least brings some speed to the utility job. honestly, you can throw Grenier in there as well since he brings above average defense at 2B and average defense at SS.

The weird thing about Martin is that Elias has not used him as a UIF.   He has mostly played SS though the role he would probably be tried at in the majors is the role that Owings have been playing at 2B/SS/3B.

Martin has not played a full season since 2019 because of injuries. He really has not been tested in the majors since the year he was taken in the Rule 5 draft where the jump from AA to the majors was too much for him.

This season he has a  296/389/441/829  at AAA with 15 steal in 17 tries in roughly a third of a season,  175 plate appearances.  He strikes out about 20% of the time.    These numbers should get him a try in the majors.  But we will see.

• Upvote 1

It took 2 months for Gunnar to dominate AA.  If he continues at the same rate in AAA Elias will be considering what that means around the trade deadline.    The inability of  the O's to beat the Mariners or Guardian plus the loss of Grayson makes it feel like the O's will not gain ground but rather lose some by the deadline.

But that is why they play the games.   We will see.

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

I'd be surprised if Gunnar gets his service clock started this year, but I won't complain if it does. Westburg is 23 years old, but he would have to be added to the 40 man roster. 

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I would like to see Bannon with more MLB time. I think he has more pop than Nevin, who is getting a lot of chances. 

I think Nevin has a better approach and hit tool. Nevin has more leverage, while Bannon is strong and clearly put together like a fire hydrant and has a lot of swing and miss. I don’t like Bannon’s swing and his numbers are not great. In particular, Bannon, 26 years old, has 52K in 152 AAA at bats this season with .217/.335/.368/.703. Nevin, 25 years old, has 18K in 91 AAA at bats with .319/.406/.505/.911. 

Bannon is a smallish average defender at 3B, below average at 2B. His arm looks short to me. Nevin is below average at 3B, COF and an average 1B. Nevin might lose a foot race with Matt Wieters. Very slow, limited laterally. 

Neither is destined to start anywhere. They are depth, role players at best. Nevin is more versatile, and if Mancini is traded, Nevin fills in at 1B/3B/COF. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd be surprised if Gunnar gets his service clock started this year, but I won't complain if it does. Westburg is 23 years old, but he would have to be added to the 40 man roster. 

They'll probably both be added to the 40 man this offseason. Expectations and service time shenanigans aside, the infield should be together by this time next year. SS is the only thing we should realistically be looking at in FA next year in terms of offense and the lineup is concerned.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

The weird thing about Martin is that Elias has not used him as a UIF.   He has mostly played SS though the role he would probably be tried at in the majors is the role that Owings have been playing at 2B/SS/3B.

Martin has not played a full season since 2019 because of injuries. He really has not been tested in the majors since the year he was taken in the Rule 5 draft where the jump from AA to the majors was too much for him.

This season he has a  296/389/441/829  at AAA with 15 steal in 17 tries in roughly a third of a season,  175 plate appearances.  He strikes out about 20% of the time.    These numbers should get him a try in the majors.  But we will see.

Haven't we seen what Martin can do in the majors?  He did so well he made it back down to Norfolk.

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Haven't we seen what Martin can do in the majors?  He did so well he made it back down to Norfolk.

No, I don't think so.  The Martin of 2019 could not put an 800 OPS at AAA.  But the Martin on 2022 is doing that right now.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Worth mentioning: at the time of his promotion, Henderson, not yet 21, led the Eastern League with a .452 OBP, was 8th in BA, 8th in SLG and 4th in OPS.   And not once this year did he face a pitcher younger than he was.  

He put up video game numbers in AA at age 20. If he can stick at SS for any amount of time, then he’s one of the top prospects in baseball. Bregman like.