The DSL thread 2022

Frobby

7 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Estrada with his 3rd HR today in a 2-4 day at the plate.  

16BB and 16K in 89 ABs with a .371 AVG and 1.062 OPS. 

For a 17 year old listed at 5’ 8” and 142lbs, he sure seems to pack a punch with the bat. 

It’s nice to have a guy there to be excited about.   The teams are taking their lumps but one good player can make the whole enterprise worthwhile.   (Not to say that he’s proven anything yet, or that he’s the only one with promise.)

DSL All Star game was yesterday and a few Orioles made an appearance in the game, which finished in a 6-6 tie:

- Aron Estrada came in for the starter at 2B and went 1-2 with a double and a run scored

- 21 year old RHP Harif Frias worked around an error and got a ground out and 2 fly outs in his one IP

- 20 year old RHP Eris Rodriguez walked the lead off batter, but got out of the inning he worked with a fly out and then a strike out/throw out double play, which looks like quite an interesting play from the box score

I think those were the 3 lone representatives from either of our two DSL teams. 

Edited by scarey1999
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Some bits on our DSL staffs:  

Both our DSL teams are actually better than league average in runs allowed per game and ERA.  The league averages 5.25 runs allowed per game; Orange is at 4.18, Black at 4.85.   The league has a 4.63 ERA; Orange is at 3.72, Black at 4.40.

It’s always amazing to look at DSL stats and see how many walks, errors and unearned runs there are.  I’ll be looking at some game where we scored 7 runs and yet only have 4 RBI.  Same is true for our pitchers.  Fully 22% of runs allowed are unearned league-wide.  O’s Black are right on league average at 22%, Orange is even worse at 25%.   

The DSL averages 5.2 BB/9.   Orange is better than league average at 4.9, Black is pretty atrocious at 6.2.  The league averages 9.2 K/9; Orange is at 9.6, Black at 8.8.

Finally and importantly, there’s age.  League average is 18.6; Orange is 18.8 and Black 19.5.   

So overall, I think you’d have to say that Orange has pretty decent pitching, while Black is a bit weak considering the advanced age of their staff.  

On 7/29/2022 at 2:03 PM, RZNJ said:

https://www.milb.com/player/luis-de-leon-801725

Luis Deleon.  19 year old LHP 6'3 195.    Two appearances ago went 3 IP with 0 walks and 9 strikeouts.

Today 4 IP, 2 hits.  0 walks.  8 strikeouts.    Remember the name!

Deleon is a 19-year old late bloomer who was signed for peanuts, but has been 89-91, up to 93 with potentially more in there as he gets stronger. He's a 6-foo-t3 left-handed string bean. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Thanks 1

The DSL teams are actually beginning to score runs.  Frobby mentioned the DSL black team and they are scoring again today.  Tavera is 2 for 2 with 2 walks.  He needs more games like this.   Raylin Ramos (.811 OPS) and Aron Estrada (1.072) keep looking strong.   Leandro Arias (6 for his last 11) is starting to look like his bonus was well spent.    Cristian Benavides (9 G hit streak, 14 for his last 25!!).   All are 17 years old.  The Orange team is starting to look better as well.

Here are some DSL pitchers who are standing out to me (youngest to oldest):

Ezequiel Bonilla (16), 17.1 IP, 3.63 ERA, 1.21 WHiP, 9.3 K/9

Henry Tejada (17), 22.1 IP, 2.01 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 8.9 K/9

Elias Moscoco (17), 17.0 IP, 3.71 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 9.0 K/9

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

@Tony-OHmay know more than me - I haven’t seen video - just watching numbers.

Tony actually has quietly move Estrada up in his power rankings. Kid really seems to be a good hitter. My guess is he really starts to become better known toward the end of this year and in the off-season power rankings. He, Basallo and Benscosme all seem like bats to really watch.

48 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Tony actually has quietly move Estrada up in his power rankings. Kid really seems to be a good hitter. My guess is he really starts to become better known toward the end of this year and in the off-season power rankings. He, Basallo and Benscosme all seem like bats to really watch.

Do kids like Estrada and Deleon stay in the DSL all season despite excellent performances? I’m assuming many of them have not been to US and would need some extensive transition to play in the FCL.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Keep an eye on Angel Tejada, a 2B/3B in the FCL.  As a 17 yo he put up an 18+ OPS in the DSL.  This year he's over .800 again and really heating up lately.  11 for his last 22, including 3 home runs. 

42 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Do kids like Estrada and Deleon stay in the DSL all season despite excellent performances? I’m assuming many of them have not been to US and would need some extensive transition to play in the FCL.

They also need a visa, so it’s a little more complicated (and they’re very young, think hs junior) 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=e77b5c55#all_team_batting

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=094b5c76

Do yourself a favor.  Click on that link.  It won’t include today’s game.  DSL Oriole black scored 12 in the 12th.  They broke Gameday with 2 outs in the top of the 12th.  8 of the 9 guys in the starting lineup are 17.

Fun facts. RF Raylin Ramos has 8 assists and 4 DP’s and 0 errors.  That usually is the sign of a plus arm.

Alfredo Velasquez, 3B, has been to the plate 139 times and walked only 9 times but he’s struck out only 7 times!  He hit his first homer today.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/dsl-bal-black-vs-dsl-padres/2022/08/08/711051#game_state=live,game_tab=box,game=711051

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2