Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not that we need to repeat this over a silly rumor concocted from a lawsuit but:

Baltimore and Nashville are basically the same size media market (#s 28 and 29 by Nielsen)

Baltimore metro area (not to include DC) has 800k more people than Nashville's (see wiki and other sources)

Baltimore has Camden Yards, Nashville has a 10,000 seat AAA stadium.

Baltimore has a long history of major league teams going back to the 1870s, with multiple championships, to go along with a dynastic minor league team in the first half of the 1900s.  Nashville has a history of AA and AAA teams, subservient to some MLB team since at least 1934.

At first glance the only positive I can see from doing this would be the few seasons of sugar high ticket sales the team would get from being the new thing.

I would say the optics of the two cities are very different right now. I went to Nashville for the first time a couple of years ago. It was a happening place, reminded me a little of Las Vegas. 

That said, everything you said is dead on. 

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not that we need to repeat this over a silly rumor concocted from a lawsuit but:

Baltimore and Nashville are basically the same size media market (#s 28 and 29 by Nielsen)

Baltimore metro area (not to include DC) has 800k more people than Nashville's (see wiki and other sources)

Baltimore has Camden Yards, Nashville has a 10,000 seat AAA stadium.

Baltimore has a long history of major league teams going back to the 1870s, with multiple championships, to go along with a dynastic minor league team in the first half of the 1900s.  Nashville has a history of AA and AAA teams, subservient to some MLB team since at least 1934.

At first glance the only positive I can see from doing this would be the few seasons of sugar high ticket sales the team would get from being the new thing.

A fast growing city with population and economic growth. When I was down there, they were building like crazy.

Report: Nashville takes top spot as city with most economic growth in 2021 | WKRN News 2
https://www.wkrn.com/news/report-nashville-takes-top-spot-as-city-with-most-economic-growth-in-2021/

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would say the optics of the two cities are very different right now. I went to Nashville for the first time a couple of years ago. It was a happening place, reminded me a little of Las Vegas. 

That said, everything you said is dead on. 

Yikes, a country music version of Vegas?  Moving the O's there would be very specifically trolling me as I can't stand either thing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

A fast growing city with population and economic growth. When I was down there, they were building like crazy.

Report: Nashville takes top spot as city with most economic growth in 2021 | WKRN News 2
https://www.wkrn.com/news/report-nashville-takes-top-spot-as-city-with-most-economic-growth-in-2021/

I suppose that gives us a bit of hope and optimism, since baseball tends to adopt new things 75 years late.

• Like 1

John Angelos cares about the show.  It’s why the concerts are occurring.  It’s why he’s trying to help his wife.  The stadium improvements being discussed, etc..it’s all to make the experience better for the fans and he doesn’t have to pay for it. He wants that atmosphere. That’s his focus.  

His focus isn’t the ML product on the field.  If the Os fall into contending because the young guys performed, great.  Otherwise, it’s just not a priority.  

13 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

If John Angelos moves the team, I will stop watching baseball completely as much as it would break my heart. 

Perhaps you should move with the team? I had already planned on retiring to Nashville so perhaps  things are going to work out well and I can continue to be a fan of my childhood team, in a much much much nicer city.

• Upvote 1

It is extremely difficult and rare for a MLB team to relocate. There have only been 13 in the history of MLB. Most were in the 50's and 60's. Obviously, the Nats were the most recent in 2005. Prior to that it was the Senators 50 years ago in 1972. I guess there's a chance they could move but it is very, very, very low. MLB has the anti-trust exemption which separates them from the NFL which is basically powerless to stop teams from moving. 

Branson : Las Vegas as Nashville : Los Angeles, or Hollywood with a touch of twang as Aldean put it.

A main driver of my feelings on Nashville baseball's viability was a Dombrowski comment around when he took the Philadelphia job that he was (grudgingly, IMO) pausing his involvement in Nashville baseball acquisition efforts because of covid.

It is some of why I feel Dave in Philly is like Cobb in Baltimore, marking time, the teams aren't going to work for once in his career, Bryce's no-trade clause is going to become a feature not a bug for him at some point (almost de facto free agency), and some chance the team Bryce will want on his HOF plaque is one he hasn't played for yet.    Their post-Girardi surge is muddying the water of him shutting it down and going in for his TJ to ready for OD 2023.

I do like Andrew Painter and Mick Abel pretty well, and boy could they use a real CF.

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Perhaps you should move with the team? I had already planned on retiring to Nashville so perhaps  things are going to work out well and I can continue to be a fan of my childhood team, in a much much much nicer city.

Let me know when you are moving and retiring. I will get you a cake from Baked on 8th.Maybe Carter Faith can sing at your retirement party. Maybe you can throw out the first pitch at the new Nashville stadium. Maybe for side income ,you can dress up as the mascot. I love when a plan comes together 

• Upvote 2

There is pretty close to zero chance for MLB to move out of Baltimore with OPACY sitting there and a 600M bribe in hand. 

It's just not on the table.

Might the team be sold?  Sure.

Might payroll stay rock bottom?  Sure.

But a fair number of us expected that anyway, the signs were there.

The only folks that should be surprised are the ones that bought the lines Elias was spouting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

It is extremely difficult and rare for a MLB team to relocate. There have only been 13 in the history of MLB. Most were in the 50's and 60's. Obviously, the Nats were the most recent in 2005. Prior to that it was the Senators 50 years ago in 1972. I guess there's a chance they could move but it is very, very, very low. MLB has the anti-trust exemption which separates them from the NFL which is basically powerless to stop teams from moving. 

Major League Baseball hates the Angelos family.  There is no way the owners will ever let Angelos owned Baltimore leave.  Can't wait to see the trust documents.